Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Power Lock + Keyless Entry/Alarm Install - Help!

Old 04-08-2012, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Lock + Keyless Entry/Alarm Install - Help!

Hey guys, I'm planning to install power door locks on my 2000 Civic hatch (DX) in the near future via universal 2-wire lock actuators. Though this stuff is a bit new to me, I do want to learn how to do it as I feel it's good experience. With this, I hope to install a relatively inexpensive keyless entry system (the Bulldog KE1702 or Crimestopper SP-101 which has an alarm). If I have the system and have installed the actuators, what else will I need to perform the install? (relays, etc.)

Thanks a lot.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Power Lock + Keyless Entry/Alarm Install - Help!

Easiest way is to use something like a DEI 451M, or a actuator "kit" that includes a similar black-box relay pack. This saves some time wiring up individual relays, takes up less space and leads to a generally neater installation.

The actuator installation is the trickiest part: On a 2000 EJ, I install the actuator directly over the cut out in the door panel parallel to the handle. Use the included screws to secure the actuator across one piece of backstrap (also included), then attach the backstrap right over the cut out with longer self-tapping screws from the hardware store. You'll want to use several #8 washers on the backstrap/door panel connection to make the link rod from the actuator align with the door hardware. If you do it this way, no bending of the actuator or backstrap is necessary at all, and everything ends up in a straight line. The plunger on the actuator should sit at the mid-point when installed correctly. There is a piece of Styrofoam glued to the back of the interior door panel that you'll have to remove to clear the actuator.

I've found it necessary to dampen the existing rod that goes to the interior lock latch. Once the actuator is in, there is more mass on the linkages and it tends to become resonant at low RPMs. You can wrap a small piece of dynamat around the rod that connects to the latch.

You'll may also need some length of 18AWG wire, thread lock and various connectors, etc.

I find a 5-wire actuator in the driver's side door is handy to unlock the passenger door from inside the cabin. If you go this route, use one of the relay packs mentioned above otherwise the wiring for this becomes a alot more complex. You can also do progressive door locks with an additional relay if your alarm can support this.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Axatax
Easiest way is to use something like a DEI 451M, or a actuator "kit" that includes a similar black-box relay pack. This saves some time wiring up individual relays, takes up less space and leads to a generally neater installation.

The actuator installation is the trickiest part: On a 2000 EJ, I install the actuator directly over the cut out in the door panel parallel to the handle. Use the included screws to secure the actuator across one piece of backstrap (also included), then attach the backstrap right over the cut out with longer self-tapping screws from the hardware store. You'll want to use several #8 washers on the backstrap/door panel connection to make the link rod from the actuator align with the door hardware. If you do it this way, no bending of the actuator or backstrap is necessary at all, and everything ends up in a straight line. The plunger on the actuator should sit at the mid-point when installed correctly. There is a piece of Styrofoam glued to the back of the interior door panel that you'll have to remove to clear the actuator.

I've found it necessary to dampen the existing rod that goes to the interior lock latch. Once the actuator is in, there is more mass on the linkages and it tends to become resonant at low RPMs. You can wrap a small piece of dynamat around the rod that connects to the latch.

You'll may also need some length of 18AWG wire, thread lock and various connectors, etc.

I find a 5-wire actuator in the driver's side door is handy to unlock the passenger door from inside the cabin. If you go this route, use one of the relay packs mentioned above otherwise the wiring for this becomes a alot more complex. You can also do progressive door locks with an additional relay if your alarm can support this.
I really appreciate the in-depth reply, man. Thank you. I think, after the actuators, wiring is going to be a huge problem. If I do buy a module like the 451M, will it be fairly straightforward to install in conjunction with the actuators? And, is there a way I can test the actuators before actually installing the keyless entry system?

EDIT: Will I need a 451M for each door, or just one for both?

Thanks also for the positioning tips, those will help a bunch. Do you by any chance have pictures of the install?

Cheers.

Last edited by carlonathan; 04-09-2012 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 04-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

EDIT: Will I need a 451M for each door, or just one for both?

Thanks also for the positioning tips, those will help a bunch. Do you by any chance have pictures of the install?
You only need one 451M per pair of doors. The wiring is very straight forward. Power -/+, then two wires to each actuator, and two wires to the alarm. Rest are grounded out.

You can hook this all up on a bench and test it ahead of time.

Sorry, wish I had pictures.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No worries. And am I drawing directly from the battery? Sorry if I'm asking really obvious questions, I really have no idea... The hardest thing I've wired is my fogs LOL. Again, appreciate it bro.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And am I drawing directly from the battery?
Get an ATM add-a-fuse and tap into your under-dash fuse box at location #1 or #6 (bottom row). Check Amazon for this - the forum software is chopping up my URL.

You can get a bunch of these on Ebay for around the same price. Advance has these for around the Amazon price.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:19 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The 451M will easily drive 4 door lock actuators, so you really only need one, two SPDT relays will take up only a little more room then a 451M and you definitely only need two of them, also not hard to wire them up neatly, like this, from http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp lots of other good info there also.
Name:  actuatorrevpol.gif
Views: 3265
Size:  4.6 KB

Check your under dash fuse box for "free pins", [used to always be on the front of the box, but I now see some Honda/Acura with them on the back of the fuse box] there is normally a 12V+ constant free pin along with others] use the 12V+ constant free pin for the relays. 94
Old 04-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, fcm! (Nice to see a fellow British Columbian)

I've already ordered the 451M, so I guess I'm on my way in that regard. As far as the wiring diagram goes, I think what I'm most confused about is the two wires going to the actuators - does each wire go to one actuator? And where does the other actuator wire go (as it's a 2-wire)? I'm guessing the lock/unlock output just go to the brain of the keyless entry, and the reds go to the constant 12v?

EDIT: Actually, upon further inspection... I think I've confused myself even more. Do I consolidate the two wires of the actuators, and then send that consolidated wire to the 451M? (Let's say, wire A from driver's side and wire A from passenger side together and same with the B wires) AHHHH!

Last edited by carlonathan; 04-09-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:47 AM
fcm
Old Fart

That is correct, connect the blues from both actuators together and the greens from both actuators together and then connect to the lock and unlock outputs of the relays, [the 451M is just two relays in a box].

Do you have the alarm/key-less unit yet? 94
Old 04-10-2012, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not yet, shipping will take some time, I think.

Where would you suggest I wire most of this (the brain/relay etc)? Under the dash?
Old 04-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Where would you suggest I wire most of this (the brain/relay etc)? Under the dash?
Best place is somewhere other than under the dash, but you'll have to extend some/most of wires.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:22 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Any place that is not easily accessed, if it is just under the dash a crook will see it if he looks up under the dash, and just rip it out.

Pull the cluster out and see if there is room for it there or in the upper or lower console maybe. 94