Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Planning on installing my first alarm

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning on installing my first alarm

Next week im picking up a 95 eg coupe, it has a clifford alarm on it already but its a crappy install just thrown under the dash like usual. Im new to honda's thanks to my friend, but not new to cars. Ive always worked on my cars. but never installed an alarm. I want to install either a compustar, or viper, or i might just re-do the current clifford install but i want to do a stealth install. If its a 2-way i will just keep it and add what i want to it.Now im worried im going to mess something up because ive been reading the stickies at the top of the page and it is ALOT of work especially the stealth install. Ive read that it takes about 2 days probably longer for me because its my first time. If all else fails then ill probably pay someone to do the stealth install for me. Anyone else install thier alarm for the first time? im looking to get some ideas on how hard it was for you first-timers out there.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:22 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Planning on installing my first alarm

A true stealth install will require a dash pull, anybody that says it can be done without pulling the dash is wrong.
A "semi" stealth install will not require a dash pull but would require removing a lot of trim, including console, dash trim, glove box and instrument cluster and rear seat and side panels if brain installed in read of car.

If you are comfortable working on cars and a cars dash wiring a Honda dash pull is not that bad compared to other cars.

How long it will take will depend on your skill level, two days may be conservative, I still take 2-3 days to do a "full on" stealth install of an alarm or alarm/remote start, and I have been doing it for a very long time, but then again I do get pretty **** about my stealth installs.

One more thing, a true "full on" stealth install is not cheap, $750 and up, cheapest one I did last year was an alarm/remote start @ $1275 labour, into an 08 Ford F350 King Ranch, took most of 3 days to do, [with some overtime].
Old 01-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did a stealth install without pulling the dash. It is ALOT of work and your back will hurt afterwards lol. I didn't hide my brain in the front so I had to wire, tape, and loom everything so it is practically untraceable.

I did have to remove alot of other stuff but I didn't remove the dash. And the labor involved I can agree with. I spent a couple days myself on it but partially cause I am not familiar with all the wiring. Also, many here helped me alot on the install. I did the Viper 5701 with remote start.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i dont think i will pull the dash, so i will do it without pulling it. The interior has to come out anyways, because the previous owner thought it would be cool if he painted most of the interior red. Everything is coming out except for the dash including the headliner to be dyed black again. Not really sure what alarm im going to choose yet.

I have another question, if you loom and tape the wires together wouldnt it be possible to notice that theres an extra looms outta nowhere?
Old 01-04-2009, 08:20 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jay24k
I did a stealth install without pulling the dash.
You did a "semi" stealth install.

There is no way to pull the dash harness and "open" it to run alarm wiring in it without pulling the dash.

With that said, there is nothing wrong with a "semi' stealth install, I do way more of them then "full on" stealth installs.

The trick with "semi" stealth installs is to match the convoluted tubing, [loom] and types of tape/wrap use in the car, whenever possible run wiring in the stock harness, keep wiring as short as possible. [there is always more then one spot to make a connection on a lead] stay away from making connections at the ign. switch harness or front of under dash fuse box.94
Old 01-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ahh ok. I wasn't familiar with the terminology then. That's what I did though. I made my connections where it isn't visible. In fact my old alarm had connections right in the open on the starter wire. I spliced that together and I actually made it look like it was still there. I then went as far back as I can and made my connection which when taped and loomed is practically impossible to tell. I plan on looming the whole underneath so that way it all matches and just kills more time for them having to figure out where it is.