Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

OEM 2 Aftermarket stereo help

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OEM 2 Aftermarket stereo help

Ok I have a 97 civic Ej8. Currently I have the oem stereo in and I have a extra JVC stereo laying around that I wanted to install. I know that the oem stereo has the keyless built in so, what would be the best way to install my aftermarket stereo? Any tips or pointers would be helpful....... can I put it in the lower console where my oem tape player is? And how can I accomplish this? Thanx for any help given....im noob at stereos
Old 06-03-2008, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: OEM 2 Aftermarket stereo help (mortificationrock)

You don't have anti-theft, so don't worry about that. You need the radio harness for 92-00. You can put it on the bottom deck. To remove, you need to take the center console out. Then remove the center dash bottom (where the cig. liter). Once that is remove, look up in the bottom of the top deck (on the back) 2 screw (10mm if I remember rite) remove that. The top deck should pull out, unplug the harness and reroute to the bottom (if that is were you want your deck). You should be able to put it back.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OEM 2 Aftermarket stereo help (daddycivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by daddycivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You don't have anti-theft, so don't worry about that. You need the radio harness for 92-00. You can put it on the bottom deck. To remove, you need to take the center console out. Then remove the center dash bottom (where the cig. liter). Once that is remove, look up in the bottom of the top deck (on the back) 2 screw (10mm if I remember rite) remove that. The top deck should pull out, unplug the harness and reroute to the bottom (if that is were you want your deck). You should be able to put it back.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well basically I want it in the bottome deck. As for as wiring is it plug and play or do I need some sort of harness? How will it be hooked up? I mean 2 stereos? Sorry but honestly im a noob at stereos especially this car since I just bought and its way diffiren then my Eg8. But thanx for your help so far.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:20 AM

Go to Walmart for the harness (92-00 civic). They're like 10 bucks. Take that harness you bought and hook it up to the to the deck you are putting in. Very ez color match it.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:28 AM

The way I show you should be plug and play.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by daddycivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You don't have anti-theft, so don't worry about that. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No, but if he's still using his factory keyless entry system, it will cease to work if the factory radio is removed.

If you want to put your new radio in the bottom spot, you can do that. In fact, that's the way I had mine.

You'll actually need two harnesses to accomplish this though... The regular harness to plug into the vehicle wiring, and a reverse harness to plug into the factory radio, to retain power & ground so the factory RF section remains operational...

Old 06-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You buy the harness, If its a metra part it will Be 70-1720T

Its a 3 way plug, One Part plugs into the car, one plugs back into the factory radio and one goes to the aftermarket radio,

You pull out the top Am/FM reciever, that radio has to stay in the car, what your gonna have to do is take off piece where the cigarette lighter is, and the console around the shifter, then your gonna have to remove the tape deck, completley take it out, you dont need it

then, just put the am/fm radio behind the piece where the tape deck was, make sure the radios turned off and have it upside down so nothings gona hit the button and turn it on,

then just put the new radio back in the old am/fm spot,

Go to a car audio place, and get a block off plate, and put it in where the tape deck was

close the doors, and check and see if the keyless works, then reasemble
Old 06-06-2008, 08:36 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

This is the Scosche vertion of the harness you need... http://www.scosche.com/product...D/301

It will allow you to keep your key-less entry and dome light, [security if you have it] and give you pig tails to connect to the aftermarket HU you want to install.

If you want to leave the stock HU in the stock location and install the aftermarket HU in the lower location, it's almost plug and play, you should not even have to remove the stock HU to unplug the harness or ant.

This may help a little, [ignore the part about moving of the stock HU and ther is no info on installing the aftermarket HU] I did say a little help... http://www.installdr.com/Insta...3.pdf 94
Old 06-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

PM in yer box!