Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Key won't unlock driver side door, 02 CR-V

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 02:50 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key won't unlock driver side door, 02 CR-V

That's basically it, my key will not work in the drivers side door lock. So I'm having to enter the car on the passenger side. I've made it work maybe 3 times since I bought the car approx. 4 months ago, but it takes a lot of patience, and a lot of fiddling. Not worth the hassle. Has anyone had this problem, and what was your fix? Also, when I exit the car, in order to lock the driver side door, I have to pull the outer door handle slightly out and then the lock button (inside) will go down.

When I bought the car the power door locks didn't work, so it's been strictly manual locking and unlocking. Then the Dr. side power window motor sh*t the bed and I need to get one of those now, but that's another story. As far as the lock problem goes, Honda won't recall them, saying it isn't a safety issue. I beg to differ... if some crazy dude is coming at me, I'd like to open the dang car and hit the dusty trail asap, rather than have to sit there fiddling with the useless lock.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks much.

Joris
Old 07-28-2016, 10:05 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Key won't unlock driver side door, 02 CR-V

I would start by checking the wiring in the drivers door "boot", [where wiring from the door goes into the car].

It is a common problem for wires in the drivers door boot to break as the drivers door is opened and closed the most, [bending the leads back and forth].

Do not assume wire is good because you do not see a break, they, [the wire strands] will break inside the insulation so the wire looks ok, but if you pull on the lead it will "stretch".

As for the door lock on drivers door, my guess is the key cylinder is worn out, replace the cylinder, a locksmith may be able to "key" the new cylinder to your existing key, if not you will need to have 2 keys,

Foe power door locks I would check the Door Lock Control Module if it turns out wiring in door boot is all good. 94
Old 07-28-2016, 10:28 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Key won't unlock driver side door, 02 CR-V

Thanks a lot, FCM, good advice. I figured I'd have to replace the cylinder. I'm thinking they used cheap plastic or nylon pins. Seems like a good candidate for recall, since being unable to get in your car can be a safety issue, especially for a young lady or old folks who are vulnerable to attack from bad guys. I'll have a look at the wiring and the control module as you suggested.

Thanks again, man.