Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Installing large door speakers, help me if you've done it

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing large door speakers, help me if you've done it

So I've got a set of CDT M6 6.5" components that I'm gonna be installing in my 99 civic coupe front doors sometime soon. Obviously not going to work with the factory openings since they are made for 5.25's, and the depth is 2.94", so that is going to be a concern as well. I have some 1/2" and 3/4" MDF spacers that may help wi9th the depth, but I'd probobly need to demolish the door panels in order to use them. Who out there has done something like this, and how did you do it?
Old 05-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installing large door speakers, help me if you've done it

99 coupe front doors should house a 6.5" driver with little to no modification
Old 05-16-2011, 06:45 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Are you sure about the model number, I can not find a "CDT M6" 6.5" component set.

They will have to be CL, HD, ES Gold or EU series speakers.

The only "M6" I know about is the HD-M6 6.5" woofer and the HD-M6+ 6.5" subwoofer... http://www.cdtaudio.com/pdf/HD-M6_07.pdf and... http://www.cdtaudio.com/pdf/HD-M6plus_07.pdf 94
Old 05-17-2011, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flipimp1
So I've got a set of CDT M6 6.5" components that I'm gonna be installing in my 99 civic coupe front doors sometime soon. Obviously not going to work with the factory openings since they are made for 5.25's, and the depth is 2.94", so that is going to be a concern as well. I have some 1/2" and 3/4" MDF spacers that may help wi9th the depth, but I'd probobly need to demolish the door panels in order to use them. Who out there has done something like this, and how did you do it?
What makes you think you would need to demolish the door panel? Which car are these going in? If its the NSX they will fit no problem.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out my DIY... I had an integra and i installed alpine type s speakers that wouldnt sit flush and ended up having my door panel stick out a bit and was ghetto as heck.

Its a simple fix, but is super practical.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here check this out... idk if its what you are looking for but same concept will apply to a civic.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/diy-6-5-aftermarket-speaker-install-10-steps-front-door-proper-fitment-2387553/
Old 05-18-2011, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your only problem is this statement
Originally Posted by Mfoehrkolb
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PatrickGSR94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So is the backside of the speaker now exposed to moisture inside the door?</TD></TR></TABLE>

--- If it was designed to stop moisture i am pretty sure it wouldn't have been vented everywhere, and have a large hole on the bottom end for the plugs. Maybe it helped a bit but i doubt it will do any damage, and if it does. More likely than not, you will be upgrading or replacing the speakers before they experience "moisture failure."
That is exactly what it was designed for to keep the water out of the speaker. Your door isn't sealed and that why if you look at the bottom of your door you will find drain holes. When it rains water runs down the inside of the door. Eventually your speaker will fall apart from water damage.

What I did was to take a small piece of stiff paper I used the front cover of a yellow pages.
Cut out a rectangle that would provide me a lip that covered the speaker. I dipped the paper in rubberized roofing material. Then glued it to the upper portion of the plastic speaker cabinet. That way water ran around the speaker and then down instead of into the speaker.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
Are you sure about the model number, I can not find a "CDT M6" 6.5" component set.

They will have to be CL, HD, ES Gold or EU series speakers.

The only "M6" I know about is the HD-M6 6.5" woofer and the HD-M6+ 6.5" subwoofer... http://www.cdtaudio.com/pdf/HD-M6_07.pdf and... http://www.cdtaudio.com/pdf/HD-M6plus_07.pdf 94
They are the HD M6 woofers as you linked.

I have a feeling that getting something larger and with more mounting depth is going to require some cutting of the plastic on the door panel, likely involving grill mounting tabs. Just trying to get feedback from people who have mounted different speakers.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nsxxtreme
What makes you think you would need to demolish the door panel? Which car are these going in? If its the NSX they will fit no problem.
They are going into a 99 civic. Haven't gotten the ***** up to take off the NSX door panel yet.
here check this out... idk if its what you are looking for but same concept will apply to a civic.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2387553
Thanks for that DIY, but I'm pretty sure the civic door panel and the basket are all cast out of the same piece of plastic.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just cut the back of the basket and wala, 3 inches of legroom. the del sol i had did that and it have 3.3 inches of depth without a spacer (without touching the window when down) and in my s2000 i cut it and it gives like 2.8 before it touches the window, so yeah, it should fit. just cut the back of the basket and check.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:00 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

They are the HD M6 woofers as you linked.

I have a feeling that getting something larger and with more mounting depth is going to require some cutting of the plastic on the door panel, likely involving grill mounting tabs. Just trying to get feedback from people who have mounted different speakers.
OK IC, you will need to do some custom work, to get those speakers to sound any good at all you will need to mount them to something a lot more solid then plastic, MDF is your friend.

What i do with those door panels is cut the speaker housing right out of it, as much of the speaker housing as you can, but still clip the grills onto the door panel.

Now the custom work, you will need to fashion a mounting plate for the door, I use 1/2" MDF, I will make it as big as possible and still be able to clip the door panel onto the door properly, It must be mounted to the door solidly and airtight.

Cut a hole in the mounting plate, [centered with grill] a little bigger then the speakers magnet, [about a 5" hole] measure the depth you have to the face of the plate, subtract that from the speakers mounting depth, [2.94", call it 3"] make MDF spacer(s) with an outside diameter the same as the speakers, [ 6.75"] and an inside diameter to fit the speaker, [5.87"], use whatever thicknesses of MDF that will add up to the "height" you need, glue them together and to the mounting plate, "paint" it all with fiberglass resin to waterproof it, your done. 94
Old 05-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nsxxtreme
your only problem is this statement

That is exactly what it was designed for to keep the water out of the speaker. Your door isn't sealed and that why if you look at the bottom of your door you will find drain holes. When it rains water runs down the inside of the door. Eventually your speaker will fall apart from water damage.

What I did was to take a small piece of stiff paper I used the front cover of a yellow pages.
Cut out a rectangle that would provide me a lip that covered the speaker. I dipped the paper in rubberized roofing material. Then glued it to the upper portion of the plastic speaker cabinet. That way water ran around the speaker and then down instead of into the speaker.
--- The speaker is going to get "rained" on... i would think it would just be moisture in the air at best... Unless you are missing the window gaskets and or have some hardcore gapping that shouldn't be there... If it worries the person doing the way i did... I would think putting some thin pliable packing foam sheets would suffice. There is multiple ways this could be handled, if it is that big of a deal to the owner... IMO... Any amount of rust form is going to happen, no matter what... To have the amount of rust build up to cause failure?... either something is messed up on your car or the speakers have been in there for 6 years too long. Take it as you will, people will do it as they see fit non the less.

Thanks for that DIY, but I'm pretty sure the civic door panel and the basket are all cast out of the same piece of plastic.
--- Even knowing its 1 cast, doesn't mean you can not modify the basket itself. If you can't cut it with a clippers, just take a dremel to it or something along the same lines. If you don't have that, take a steak knife to it haha. It's not that thick of material. Even using a heat gun to soften up the plastic could help.

I stated above you can put some insulation around it if you are concerned about moisture or some minor DB loss.

GL!
Old 05-19-2011, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

--- The speaker is going to get "rained" on... i would think it would just be moisture in the air at best... Unless you are missing the window gaskets and or have some hardcore gapping that shouldn't be there... If it worries the person doing the way i did... I would think putting some thin pliable packing foam sheets would suffice. There is multiple ways this could be handled, if it is that big of a deal to the owner... IMO... Any amount of rust form is going to happen, no matter what... To have the amount of rust build up to cause failure?... either something is messed up on your car or the speakers have been in there for 6 years too long. Take it as you will, people will do it as they see fit non the less.
Lots of water gets back there even with a brand new car. That is why they have drain holes at the bottom of the doors. That seal at the top is used more for a guide to hold the window from flopping around then it is for sealing out water. Why do you think when you remove your door panel there is a layer of plastic on the door? It's not for the moisture in the air its to keep the water out. You speaker will get wet soggy and eventually the glue will fail and the speaker will fall apart.

There are many ways to accomplish this using an MDF spacer is a good one to retain the plastic speaker cabinet function. But some magnets are to big and it needs to be modified. Just be sure to create a way to direct water around the speaker.