Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

how do thieves bypass car alarms?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: how do thieves bypass car alarms?

Fuel pump kill is overly common & all too obvious on any car worth taking because performance pumps are less than quiet.

There are many engine components that would prevent a vehicle from starting and could easily be interrupted in very difficult to find locations.

Proximity sensors can **** people off that may just happen to be walking by in a crowded parking lot, and there are plenty of a-holes out there more than happy keying such an annoying car. You want to keep people out, not scream at everyone that walks by how paranoid you must be.

Tons of great info in here, and layers of security is key to keeping it yours.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sgnlab
Ever see a car with the antenna wire cut? Bye bye car give them a little room to cut the system up. Remember the wires end up at the same places and if they know about a certain car enough they know where the wires run. All 95 civic's are wired the same from the factory so a stealthy install really won't help.
Not true. I don't care how many cars they make that are the same. Wire the car correctly. Car will not start period. I don't care how much bypassing you try to do.
Originally Posted by sgnlab
Discontinued
Again? Not true! Please don't post if you do not have your facts correct. The dei version is. But the company that makes the unit and provided service that they leased to dei is not. Dei never owned it. They marketed another company product under there name. Hence the title of the video gives dei there credit for selling it and the company that makes the unit which is mobile iq. I would be the first to know if mobile iq was to stop selling them. I deal and sell there products.
Listen to the date and time in the video. This is three years after dei stopped carrying it. How would it work then?

For future readers - the unit in the video is mobile iq. Its not a alarm. But a add on gps unit that can be used as a standalone but work great with a alarm system. Any questions please read the stick above for actual facts about the unit.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Post Re: How do thieves bypass car alarms?

Originally Posted by Shoalin R
If they want it they will get it. My car got jacked once and they had to break into a car blocking my car to actually get to mine. There isn't much that you can do to stop a professional car thief. Just do all you can and keep your eyes and ears open if you own a nice car.
So lame a reply I just had to shed some light..

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showpo...26&postcount=7
Old 02-26-2012, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What ive seen, on most crappy install, if you didnt relocate your hood cable, they'l pop your hood then disconnect batt and siren. other thing is they pry your window on the top then try to reach you antena, and or reach for your door lock/unlock switch.
i got a friend who got his car stolen, he was able to track down the thief, the thief told him how he by-passed the alarm he told him when he pryed the window he reached for the antena (on some alarms with external control unit)by the windshield and ripped it off so it wont send signal to your remote if you have 2-way.
anybody know if this is true?
Old 02-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Orange_SIR1
What ive seen, on most crappy install, if you didnt relocate your hood cable, they'l pop your hood then disconnect batt and siren. other thing is they pry your window on the top then try to reach you antena, and or reach for your door lock/unlock switch.
i got a friend who got his car stolen, he was able to track down the thief, the thief told him how he by-passed the alarm he told him when he pryed the window he reached for the antena (on some alarms with external control unit)by the windshield and ripped it off so it wont send signal to your remote if you have 2-way.
anybody know if this is true?
Yes and no. A good pager would of sent the page by the time that the theif would of ripped down the antena.

Most of all car alarms are not installed in a way that would prevent theft from the start. I have seen high dollar installs and low dollar installs that were practially the same.

Your job is to take every advantage from the thief. But it has to be done right from the start.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh ok, how sensitive your alarm should be in order for it to detect that someone is prying on the window? ive done it on my civic and it is quite easy to pry it open a lil bit but you have to muscle your way on order for your arm to reach inside..
Old 08-18-2012, 03:54 AM
Trial User

Hello. Check out my $1,700 car alarm system. Tell me how likely or easily a good thief can steal it...
2003 Pontiac Sunfire SLX
DEI CLIFFORD 1 way Security and Remote Start
DEI Viper Smart Start w/ GPS
DEI Proximity Sensor
DEI Glass Break Sensor
DEI Tilt Sensor
DEI Mercury switch under hood.
DEI Back-Up Battery
DEI Siren with Back-Up Battery (under hood)
DEI Clifford Siren (came w/ alarm; installed under hood)
2 Mini Piezo Sirens (hidden under dash)
DEI Viper LED Snake Logo (flashes when alarm is active)
DEI 2 Window mods (for all 4 windows to role up and down with key fob or role up upon alarm activation)
I heard that a thief could shock my car or disconnect my battery but i'd know right away with text messages from my iphone provider and alerts from my viper smart start app. When the alarm goes off with all 4 sirens, that **** is so damn loud, **** aint even funny! I don't advertise the **** i have in my car with decals on my windows like a retard. it's an extremely clean car with all new real black leather and real dark grey suede upholstery. 17" chrome rims (cheap like $150 each) and all windows are tinted. I suppose if I was driving a honda it would be a bigger target.
I have over 10 grand of stereo equipment in the car. That's my main reason for this crazy security system. Anyways if anyone else wants to give me anymore advice of what other security measures that i should take, please feel free.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by akuzaru
Hello. Check out my $1,700 car alarm system. Tell me how likely or easily a good thief can steal it...
2003 Pontiac Sunfire SLX
DEI Proximity Sensor
DEI Glass Break Sensor
DEI Tilt Sensor
DEI Back-Up Battery
DEI 2 Window mods (for all 4 windows to role up and down with key fob or role up upon alarm activation)
I heard that a thief could shock my car or disconnect my battery but i'd know right away with text messages from my iphone provider and alerts from my viper smart start app. When the alarm goes off with all 4 sirens, that **** is so damn loud, **** aint even funny! I don't advertise the **** i have in my car with decals on my windows like a retard. it's an extremely clean car with all new real black leather and real dark grey suede upholstery. 17" chrome rims (cheap like $150 each) and all windows are tinted. I suppose if I was driving a honda it would be a bigger target.
I have over 10 grand of stereo equipment in the car. That's my main reason for this crazy security system. Anyways if anyone else wants to give me anymore advice of what other security measures that i should take, please feel free.

Based solely on the info provided, this is a typical Car Toys ect install with a lot of bells and whistles.

The paging system is awesome, but if there isn't layers of kills to prevent the car from starting it'll only alert you that your car is about to be driven away within minutes.

I absolutely hate that we have to go to these lengths to protect our property.

Stealth install with multiple kill layers.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2003 Pontiac Sunfire SLX
DEI Proximity Sensor
DEI Glass Break Sensor
DEI Tilt Sensor
DEI Back-Up Battery
even though you have smart start that pages your phone, it wouldn't hurt to have the 2-way paging alarm. also, since your alarm is kinda concerned with your expensive car audio system, shouldn't you also have a switch for the trunk? and i think there could be a few more things that could be done, like some kill switches
Old 08-18-2012, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does not mean squat if all the stuff is thrown under the dash, Install is the key.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:33 AM
Trial User

But what does stealth really come down to? Just for the install took them 1 week and basically as I saw him do some of the wiring... It's a huge harness of wires hanging down from under the dash. Of course it's not hanging down now because it's all zip tied up there but I'm not sure if it's really considered stealth or what stealth is exactly. I'd like for it to be all invisible but with soothe stuff I got it was way too many wires.. Just the two window mods alone is a rats nest of wiring. All wires algae been soldered.
Just way too many things and wires to be concealed the way I would like. Shrink tubing wasn't really even done for most wires because there are like a ton of wires that are all together ... It's really difficult for me to explain this seemingly because I'm not a professional in car alarm installs. I got the best deal I think a lot of other people would've charged me around $1,000 just for installation and I got the same person who did all my car audio install to do my car alarm install for $650 which I already said he worked on it for a week.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

But what does stealth really come down to? Just for the install took them 1 week and basically as I saw him do some of the wiring... It's a huge harness of wires hanging down from under the dash. Of course it's not hanging down now because it's all zip tied up there but I'm not sure if it's really considered stealth or what stealth is exactly. I'd like for it to be all invisible but with soothe stuff I got it was way too many wires.. Just the two window mods alone is a rats nest of wiring. All wires algae been soldered.
Just way too many things and wires to be concealed the way I would like. Shrink tubing wasn't really even done for most wires because there are like a ton of wires that are all together ... It's really difficult for me to explain this seemingly because I'm not a professional in car alarm installs. I got the best deal I think a lot of other people would've charged me around $1,000 just for installation and I got the same person who did all my car audio install to do my car alarm install for $650 which I already said he worked on it for a week.

A stealth install means everything looks stock. If the alarm is installed under the steering column its definitely not stealth. If your installer took a week to install your alarm I'd hope that it was installed behind the dash and that all the wires are 100% hidden.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a question.....

how can a thief get inside my car when i have the key locks disabled and the lock unlock mechanism inside the door is disabled? are they going to break my window to get in?

how are they going to start my car when there is no ecu no main relay no resistor box fuses been removed... are they going to be able to find anything without opening the door to get room to look around the inside of my car to find anything with sirens blaring?

i have viper 2 way 1 mile paging alarm as well as gps tracking on my car... the only sirens i have are the 4 pizeo sirens hidden INSIDE my car the alarm has a battery backup as well as the sirens....

my car isnt that nice but they have to figure out how to jiggle the key i have an instant trigger hooked up so if someone were to try and jiggle the key it would set off the alarm ....

i think i told enough secrets about my car... you wana try and steal it i will give you the car key try and get in
Old 08-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mechanix619
A stealth install means everything looks stock. If the alarm is installed under the steering column its definitely not stealth. If your installer took a week to install your alarm I'd hope that it was installed behind the dash and that all the wires are 100% hidden.
why does it have to be installed behind the dash? theres a few places you can hide the brain and run the wires through oem loom

if you know what your doing, you can use oem wires just have to buy wire looms from junkyards, but i dont think a theif is gonna be able to figure out which wire is for the alarm and what wire is supposed to be there when they are all color coded like oem hahahaha
Old 08-20-2012, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by siregcivic
why does it have to be installed behind the dash? theres a few places you can hide the brain and run the wires through oem loom

if you know what your doing, you can use oem wires just have to buy wire looms from junkyards, but i dont think a theif is gonna be able to figure out which wire is for the alarm and what wire is supposed to be there when they are all color coded like oem hahahaha
I never said it had to be installed behind the dash, it was simply a suggestion.

I agree, OEM colored wires would be great idea.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by siregcivic
i will give you the car key try and get in
Come on, you've been around here long enough to know better...

I'll take a truck and some rope.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't sound like much of a deal to me. And it took a week??? That is just lazyness. I have never had a alarm take more than 2 days and they were all very professional where I cant spot any wires if I look under my dash.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 85ZC
I dress up like a janitor, wear a moustache and glasses, then I pretend to be sweeping the parking lot or parking garage area near your car. As you walk up to your car, I say "Hello. What time is it?" When you look at your watch, I taser you, then give you some chloroform. Take your keys, alarm keyfob. You will likely wake later, probably with a headache. You will wonder why you are laying against the wall with a whiskey bottle in bag. That is so bystanders will not think you need assistance, and leave you alone disgusted at your drinking problem. This all gives me more time to get your car home, stripped, and cut up into peices small enough to dump into a dumpster. If I get stopped by police, I was merely transporting the car home for an alcoholic friend. The VINs all get mailed back to you with a thank you note via the address from your wallet I obtained. I am courteous, as well as kind in the robbery aspect. You can thank me later, after your headache goes away.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:25 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by speedjunkie_g35
Doesn't sound like much of a deal to me. And it took a week??? That is just lazyness. I have never had a alarm take more than 2 days and they were all very professional where I cant spot any wires if I look under my dash.
yea well i'm not doing business with them anymore. The owner is a total douche bag that did a lot of **** that pissed me off bad. Once you paid him, you were no longer his priority. he took a month to make my fiberglass custom carpeted sub floor box for inside my trunk. alarm took a week when he told me 2 days. **** that douche.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wrx-killer-Sti-eater
Does not mean squat if all the stuff is thrown under the dash, Install is the key.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This can't be said enough times. Cars are wired the same everyone knows this. Now the problem is 80% of the alarms are all wired the same. Believe it or not most car shops don't give a damn if your car gets stolen or not. All they care is they made a sale on an alarm install. People tend to forget the #1 goal of a buisness is to make money.

A real stealth install takes hours and hours. Big companies can't have a guy working on a car that long, it's just not profitable. So they end up just installing it the easiest way possible and move on to the next job.

The key to any good alarm install is what you do that is out of the ordinary. Like making kills in non-ordinary inaccessible places. This requires some thought on the installers part.
Any aftermarket alarm can be bipassed given enough time. Having knowledge of the install makes that job even easier. They key is to make it difficult enough that it cant be bypassed in a reasonable amount of time.

Personally I think the only real security is what they are sticking in newer cars like my Range Rover. It has a chip that generates an encrypted key, that number is confirmed with the ECU that the key is allowed to start the car. It has additional security in that if the ECU was swapped out there is another "security" computer that confirms that the ECU in the car belong to the car and is allowed to perform ECU duties. Once this trickles down to all the other cars I think you will see a big dip in car theft.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And remember to get a damn back-up battery for your alarm. They first thing they go for is your hood/battery.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mechanix619
Come on, you've been around here long enough to know better...

I'll take a truck and some rope.
Lol once the alarm is active I have a proximity set once the car moves within a certain amount without the alarm being disabled if starts tracking
Old 08-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive always been told

"leave your doors unlocked, bc if they break in, id rather have to buy a new cd player than a new cd and new windows."

i dont agree with that completely, but it is true that id rather just buy another cd player, rather than new windows also. lol. i havent heard of anyone getting there car stolen where im from here in ms. but ya never know. people get even more stupid and greedy everyday.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jhicks
people get even more stupid and greedy everyday.
I'll drink to that!
Old 08-23-2012, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol