Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

how do thieves bypass car alarms?

Old 01-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: how do thieves bypass car alarms?

hey alarm gurus is it safe to kill the main relay through the alarm while having a active switch for the fuel pump just to throw them off..?
and question number 2.. what are some good sensors to add i have the tilt...back up battery covered and was thinking about a proximity sensor but im hearing mixed reviews and would the glass break sensor be a better choice? if so would it trigger when loud bass from other cars is introduced?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by dohcvtak
hey alarm gurus is it safe to kill the main relay through the alarm while having a active switch for the fuel pump just to throw them off..?
and question number 2.. what are some good sensors to add i have the tilt...back up battery covered and was thinking about a proximity sensor but im hearing mixed reviews and would the glass break sensor be a better choice? if so would it trigger when loud bass from other cars is introduced?
As in you killed the main relay and fuel pump separately? This is perfectly fine and quite recommended even. They could run +12 straight to the pump and it'd still fail to start, which could make them take a few extra minutes. Vice versa, if they somehow re-activate the main relay (unlikely if relocated and bolted down) they still have a fuel pump to deal with.

I personally prefer proximity in my vehicle, it's a matter of preference. Glass break is of course a cheaper route, but should work fine. It's unlikely that either one will go untripped.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks man..
i have asked around about relocating the main relay and some say that wires would be needed to extend inorder to relocate it and they say by doing so if anything goes wrong you can fk up the ecu...is this true? is extending the wires require for just relocating the relay higher up in the dash?
Old 01-06-2009, 12:15 AM

I'm not sure which car you have, but on my 1996 Civic I did not have to extend wires. I just pulled the wire mount/tiedown things out of their place and moved it where I saw fit. It'd be beneficial to lengthen the wires I suppose, depending on the car, as I've never done it on a 92-95 but it looks tricky. If you do any wire extensions, just do them one at a time with some good solder and tape, should be fine. Hopefully someone else can chime in with experience on it, since it was not needed on my car.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:43 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

should'nt really tell ya, but it's pretty easy....... look for a black horn looking think and rip the wires, u\tke the battery out, or rip the brain out under the dash........

i bought my car in a lien sale meaning i didn't buy it fro ma preivious owner. no alarm, wasfun getting it to start
Old 01-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tekniq
how can they bypass car alarms without setting off the alarm--or do they actually set off the alarm, then turn it off once they're inside the vehicle? i'm getting a 2-way pager, but i know thieves can bypass them if they really want from other stories i've heard. i'd figure they would be unbeatable if your 2-way pager is in range, because when they open your door, your alarm would page you to tell you that your car door was open. but if that's the case, then how do they still get away with people's cars?
I dress up like a janitor, wear a moustache and glasses, then I pretend to be sweeping the parking lot or parking garage area near your car. As you walk up to your car, I say "Hello. What time is it?" When you look at your watch, I taser you, then give you some chloroform. Take your keys, alarm keyfob. You will likely wake later, probably with a headache. You will wonder why you are laying against the wall with a whiskey bottle in bag. That is so bystanders will not think you need assistance, and leave you alone disgusted at your drinking problem. This all gives me more time to get your car home, stripped, and cut up into peices small enough to dump into a dumpster. If I get stopped by police, I was merely transporting the car home for an alcoholic friend. The VINs all get mailed back to you with a thank you note via the address from your wallet I obtained. I am courteous, as well as kind in the robbery aspect. You can thank me later, after your headache goes away.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by 85ZC
:words:
With an incapacitated vehicle owner, how would you go about finding any sort of hidden kill switch or contraption of the sort? Seems like you're not a very good thief if you knock out your victims before the car's started good sir. =(

Now that your secret is out I'll be sure to shoot all parking lot janitors, thanks in advance.

Last edited by Davus; 01-06-2009 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Yes, I am playing along.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:03 PM

Along with what wrxkillerstieater and the rest say about a proper install, it's all about the layers. Disconnect your key cylinders, relocate that hood latch cable, etc. All these layers are too much of a hassle for a thief to put up with. I'd say most would give up or get caught in the process. If you're car is really worth stealing with a flat bed, you PROBABLY have a garage and can afford gps tracking.

I've had one successful attempt out of three on the two cars ive owned(92 civic hatch, and a 94 integra). Luckily that first one was when I got my car and all they took were my seats and my speakers(found the car on my own a few hours later, no thanks to the cops). I learned the first time, and all I lost on my second and third attempts was a quarter panel window and lunch box, and then my window visors and some damage from trying to get in through the roof and trunk. Insurance paid me out. I know other friends who had no alarm extras(just hidden siren), but had done the extra layers to keep people from outside the car, and the worst they got were broken windows. $50 bucks at n1, but much cheaper than losing your entire car.

Don't fall into this whole if they really want it they'll get it bs. There are good posts on here to protect yourself, take advantage of them.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:16 PM

Get a train horn and use that as the siren. That'll wake the neighbors.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there are a lot of great info here n there
reading some have really opened my eyes
thanks guys
Old 01-07-2009, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Willby24
Get a train horn and use that as the siren. That'll wake the neighbors.
LMAO

Anyway, yeah I also have heard the old if they want it, they will take it crap. Some good info I got from this post as well, thanks for sharing. I'll check out other threads.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they want it they will get it. my car got jacked once and they had to break into a car blocking my car to actually get to mine. There isnt much that you can do to stop a professional car thief. Just do all you can and keep your eyes and ears open if you own a nice car.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TsunamiHair
I think most theives wont even wanna take a car unless your alarm sucked and they clipped it in 5 seconds. I think they would just smash the window and run with your CD player or something they can grab and take. They always do that around my area. Smash and Grab.
I had the CD player stolen out of my car at walmart lol. They didn't break the window to get in, and were nice enough to lock the car back... LOL

My suggestion is everyone move to a better neighborhood and not have the car registered to your address.

I look at as if I tried to steal your car and couldn't get it and I really wanted that car. I'd **** the paint and windows up or something I'd be pissed as hell. That's what I'm more worried about than my car getting stolen. It's already been keyed :/
Old 01-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hood pin location should be a concern too. You don't want it easily accessible as it can be unplugged or the wire cut, and older Honda's have a known weak point with where the hood release cable runs. It doesn't take much to access the cable and pop the hood in a few seconds, and even if the hood pin is in a good location the siren wire is right there. One reason pulling power from the battery isn't any better than the column for an alarm.

Also, in bigger cities, its not unheard of for a thief to just use a roll back and haul the car off (no lie!) As most people wouldn't even give it a second thought.

Best thing you can do with an alarm install is hide the brain and make your connections in unconventional places so it takes longer to locate. Split loom or wrap the wires in tape to make them look as OEM as possible... or use an alarm that meets European (well UK at least) insurance requirements... all of the wires in the harnesses are black with little tags at the end to tell you what they are during install. When done, you can't tell the siren wire under the dash from the power wire, ground wire, parking light wire, etc... so with a well hidden/unaccessable brain it delays the thief a bit.

Again, none of this will absolutely stop a thief... it just scares the a matures away and slows a professional down a little.

Same with remote starts... de-pin the external activation pin and use D2D if possible, otherwise the chip-in-key is easily defeated via the ground out while running input on the bypass module (or use one of those new secure universal bypass boxes if there's no data bypass available for the car). Without doing so, a thief just needs to break the steering wheel lock, screw driver or otherwise get the ingition powered up, and tag/touch the GoWR wire to ground to bypass the Immobilizer.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ignition kill
Starter kill not under the dash
Main relay kill
Fuel pump kill
2 backup batterys like this: (http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CLsBEPMCMAU)
Stealth Alarm install (brain in dash)
All wires split loomed. (OEM style)
Piezo's in each vent powered by their own relay and powered by the hidden battery backups.
Siren's in each fender powered by their own relay and powered by the hidden battery backups.
Air horn if you want.
Glass sensor
Tilt sensor
Microwave sensor.
Siren under the hood hidden, maybe even 2 of them.
Hood latch relocated, but if car is low park with wheels straight. No access to the fender.
Hood pin more towards the firewall, not by the radiator.

Deter the thief. If a tow truck takes the car, it will be going off once it is tilted LOUDLY and rolling down the street LOUDLY. they will eventually drop it off!
Old 01-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I gave everyone the answer to towing. Still the best setup. Not one faliure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CziYF9UeO0I
Old 01-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A buddy of mine got about over 800 dollars worth of audio equipment stolen from his 4 door civic. He had an alarm but i guess the thieves somehow popped the windows open a crack and got them down without setting the alarm off. the disabled the alarm and got away with the deck speakers and some misc. items.. thieves FTW.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wrx-killer-Sti-eater
you sir...are my idol.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Let's face it. Nothing, I mean NOTHING is foolproof. But non-conventional layers are the best way to protect your property. Thieves are simple minded; they are motivated by opportunity and convenience. Keeping valuables out of sight is the single best deterrent to any theft.

Some really good suggestions in this thread.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lee0149
i heard about using a very big magnet to drain out the battery. dont know if it works though. just heard from peoples.
^^^ i have heard the exact same thing weird don't know if it works either
Old 01-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SMH, You have 4 speakers in your car?
Old 01-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by djkurious
Ignition kill
Starter kill not under the dash
Main relay kill
Fuel pump kill
2 backup batterys like this: (http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CLsBEPMCMAU)
Stealth Alarm install (brain in dash)
All wires split loomed. (OEM style)
Piezo's in each vent powered by their own relay and powered by the hidden battery backups.
Siren's in each fender powered by their own relay and powered by the hidden battery backups.
Air horn if you want.
Glass sensor
Tilt sensor
Microwave sensor.
Siren under the hood hidden, maybe even 2 of them.
Hood latch relocated, but if car is low park with wheels straight. No access to the fender.
Hood pin more towards the firewall, not by the radiator.

Deter the thief. If a tow truck takes the car, it will be going off once it is tilted LOUDLY and rolling down the street LOUDLY. they will eventually drop it off!
U forgot the cougar (big cat not older attractive lady) in the car with deadly snakes... No one can take down a cougar single handedly
Old 01-13-2012, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=wrx-killer-Sti-eater;46616757]I gave everyone the answer to towing. Still the best setup. Not one faliure.

pretty awesome alarm by the way... Very interesting
Old 01-15-2012, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ever see a car with the antenna wire cut? Bye bye car give them a little room to cut the system up. Remember the wires end up at the same places and if they know about a certain car enough they know where the wires run. All 95 civic's are wired the same from the factory so a stealthy install really won't help.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wrx-killer-Sti-eater
Discontinued

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how do thieves bypass car alarms?