Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Door locks

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door locks

I just purchased a 1998 homda civic ex and it has a aftermarket stereo in it. My question is my door locks dont work. But ive replaced the blue box in the door and nothing seams to be working. Is the extra plig in the dash suposed to be hooked uo to a different harness. And no the car didnt have keyless remotes with it when i bought it. Any help would be much appreciated
Old 04-09-2017, 12:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Door locks

Check:
-Fuses
-Lock actuator
-Lock switches
-Supply of power to system
-Any jams or breaks in linkages.

Should cover most issues.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:33 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

I am leaning more towards the door jamb connectors. I had an issue with a '94 Civic LX sedan and it was wire pins within the connectors itself. You can source out the same size pins from a salvage yard ('96 up Civic....@ the radio).
Old 04-10-2017, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the 1996 - 1998 Civic, the receiver for the keyless remote was integrated into the factory stereo. If you replace your stereo with an i dentical Honda unit, you will have to reprogram it to match your keys, if you replace it with an after-market unit (or a Honda unit that does not have the receiver in it) your keyless remote will not work. Your dome light probably stopped coming on when you open the doors? It is wired through the stereo as well.

You can wire the new and the old stereo up at the same time and hide the factory stereo behind the dash / center console (yes, it will fit!). If you do this, the factory stereo gets all connections except the speaker wires, the new stereo gets all the wires except the keyless entry wires. Do a search for "Civic Relocation harness" and you will find ready made harnesses that will allow you to do this. I know Scosche makes them. Remember to keep the front panel from the factory stereo;
You will need it if you ever need to reprogram the keyless entry receiver.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:28 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Slosc2
In the 1996 - 1998 Civic, the receiver for the keyless remote was integrated into the factory stereo. If you replace your stereo with an i dentical Honda unit, you will have to reprogram it to match your keys, if you replace it with an after-market unit (or a Honda unit that does not have the receiver in it) your keyless remote will not work. Your dome light probably stopped coming on when you open the doors? It is wired through the stereo as well.

You can wire the new and the old stereo up at the same time and hide the factory stereo behind the dash / center console (yes, it will fit!). If you do this, the factory stereo gets all connections except the speaker wires, the new stereo gets all the wires except the keyless entry wires. Do a search for "Civic Relocation harness" and you will find ready made harnesses that will allow you to do this. I know Scosche makes them. Remember to keep the front panel from the factory stereo;
You will need it if you ever need to reprogram the keyless entry receiver.
To make the dome light work (with aftermarket H/U), you DO NOT have to retain the factory stereo. It's just a matter of connecting two wires at the factory H/U wire harness plug.