Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

how did you wire up your dual voice coil sub?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 07:53 AM
They let me pick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how did you wire up your dual voice coil sub?

i wired mine up not knowing it was a dual voice coil, on one side, did i do any damage by doing that or can i just rewire it hooking both sides together like it was supposed to be wired. you guys are geniouses so you should know what im talking about. my infinity reference 12inch has inputs on both sides, one red and one black on each. i have to wire the red to the black on the opposite side and then wire the rest to the output on the amp. what is the point of this and why does it make any difference? thanks
Old 10-09-2005, 10:36 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: how did you wire up your dual voice coil sub? (mrdeadman)

Need more info, what is the impedance of the VCs 2, 4, 6, or 8 ohms?
What is the make and model of the am running the sub?
Read this... http://www.the12volt.com/carau...s.asp it will help you understand how and why you wire subs/VCs in series or parallel. 94
Old 10-09-2005, 07:27 PM
They let me pick

Default Re: how did you wire up your dual voice coil sub? (fcm)

i have a 12 inch infinity reference 1242w. i dont know what ohms are or what they mean and the wiring diagrams on that site are different than how cartoys had the same sub that i do wired. they connected the positive on one side to the negative on the other. thanks for the info fcm, you are super helpful. oh and the amp is a bazooka ba 1300 one of the new ones, its the small one at circuit city for $150 this one:http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm...il.do

i also have one more question: i want a 10 inch infinity reference, also a dual voice coil., should i get another amp or one bigger one? also if i have 2 amps can i make a Y connector out of the existing remote line to run to both amps and also the rca cables? thanks
Old 10-10-2005, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would imagine that is a 4 Ohm sub. The model number 1242 would generaly mean 12=12" 4=ohms 2=number of voice coils. If the sub is a dual 4 ohm voice coil by connecting both positves together and both negatives together you will be halfing the impeadance (2ohms). This is a parrallel configuration. Another option is a series configuration wich will double the impeadance (8 ohms). You would take the positve from one side and connect it to the negative of the other side. Then use the positve and negative that are left to run to the amp. If the amp is mono or is 1 ohm stable 2ch, I would use the parallel configuration. You can "Y" the remote wire and rca's however just know you will be getting less signal to each amp. I wouldnt recomend runing two different subs together off the same amp.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:01 AM
fcm
Old Fart

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrdeadman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a 12 inch infinity reference 1242w. i dont know what ohms are or what they mean and the wiring diagrams on that site are different than how cartoys had the same sub that i do wired. they connected the positive on one side to the negative on the other. thanks for the info fcm, you are super helpful. oh and the amp is a bazooka ba 1300 one of the new ones, its the small one at circuit city for $150 this one:http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm...il.do

i also have one more question: i want a 10 inch infinity reference, also a dual voice coil., should i get another amp or one bigger one? also if i have 2 amps can i make a Y connector out of the existing remote line to run to both amps and also the rca cables? thanks</TD></TR></TABLE> Your 12" sub is a DVC 4 ohm 300W continuous or 1200W peak, your amp is a 200W RMS into 4 ohms or 375W RMS into 2 ohms, you should wire your subs VCs in parallel http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/1-4-2.aspx .
I do not recommend running 2 diff. size subs, and as MLD211 said......
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MLD211 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I wouldnt recomend running two different subs together off the same amp. </TD></TR></TABLE> Definitely not.
If you want to get another sub, get another 12" and another Bazooka amp, you can split the "remote line", you don't need a "Y connector" for the RCAs the Bazooka amp has a set of outputs on it.
That said, if you are looking for some "mid-bass" then find a set of mid-bass speakers that will fit in the rear speaker locations, get a 2ch amp and run it off the rear preamp outputs of your HU, or the sub amp outputs, it makes no diff. 94
Old 10-10-2005, 01:23 PM
They let me pick

did i do any damage to the sub by only wiring up one voice coil and also why shouldn't i run 2 different size subs? and i can just splice the second remote wire into the first and make a Y connector out of the existing rca cables so i can run them to both amps? and also what do you recommend, running one big power cable and then splitting it to 2 8g or just run 2 8g from the battery? thanks for all the help, sorry so many questions, the guys at car toys and circuit city were no help

but to you guys. youre awesome.
sorry one more thing: should i run one wire from each input on the sub to the input on the amp or should i run both positive/negative inputs through the same wire to the input on the amp? thanks.

Modified by mrdeadman at 2:56 PM 10/10/2005
Old 10-11-2005, 08:21 AM
fcm
Old Fart

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrdeadman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did i do any damage to the sub by only wiring up one voice coil</TD></TR></TABLE> You may have, but not nessessarly, every DVC sub that I have seen comes with a warning that damage will occur if only one VC is hooked up, although I have seen DVC subs that had no damage after running for long periods of time with only one VC connected.
As long as you didn't "overdrive" it, I don't believe it was damaged, time will tell.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrdeadman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> also why shouldn't i run 2 different size subs? </TD></TR></TABLE> It's not that you can't, think of it this way, would you run a 6.5" speaker on one side and a 5.25" on the other side, if you could run the 10" as a mid-bass driver, or upper sub-bass driver, EG: the 12" would be crossed over at 55 Hz LP, [upper cut] and you band pass the 10" from 55Hz HP, [lower cut] to 100Hz LP, [upper cut] maybe some under/over lapping of the upper cut of the 12" and the lower cut of the 10" whatever works, the you wouldn't have 2 diff. speakers, with diff. frequency response, power handling, efficiency, and other characteristic's trying to do the same thing.
As for the rest of it, yes you can split the trigger wire, or just "daisy chain" it, connect 2 wires to one of the amps, one from the HU and another that you can run to the other amp.
As I said before you do not need to split the RCAs, the amp you have has an output on it, so just like the trigger lead, run the RCAs to one amp, and then run a set of RCAs from the outputs of that amp to the other amp.
For the power, as you already have an 8ga power run, just run another 8ga. IMO it is better then splitting power through splitter/fuse blocks, that just adds more connections between the batt. and the amp.
If I understand the last question, one wire from each VC to the amp, or one wire from both VCs to amp, it really makes no diff. it would still be a parallel connection, but as there is normally only one speaker term on the sub box, the most you would do is run a speaker wire from each VC to the speaker term. inside the box, and then one speaker wire from the outside of the term. to the amp. 94
Old 10-11-2005, 01:51 PM
They let me pick

"As I said before you do not need to split the RCAs, the amp you have has an output on it, so just like the trigger lead, run the RCAs to one amp, and then run a set of RCAs from the outputs of that amp to the other amp."

^wouldn't this be like running it in sequence, instead of parallel or are the amp companies smarter than that? also the reason i want a 10 inch is for response and tighter beats, i don't want it to act like my 12, that is my whole purpose. in order to get more i could run each, one 10 and one 12 right, then it would cover a full range instead of just parts? right? or am i just not seeing it? also there is a space issue. i like the size of a 10.
how would i know if i did any damage to the sub? thanks fcm. youre a big help. if anyone else has any opinions , those are welcome too.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrdeadman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^wouldn't this be like running it in sequence</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think the term you were looking for is series. And the answer is no. The terms parellel and series don't really apply when your talking about rca's. The the rca outputs on the amp is there so you dont need Y adapters. This makes daisy chaining amps much more easy. However, I am not sure the effect it has on signal strength or quality. Mabey fcm can answer that. As far as checking for damage about all i could tell you is you could compare impeadances on the voice coils but as long as you connect both voice coils and the sub works I wouldnt worry about untill it stops working.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:53 AM
fcm
Old Fart

As I said, you can use the 12" and the 10" and if crossed over as I mentioned, [ x-over points used are just an example] would have the effect you want.
That said, and as I said before, a set of mid bass drivers in the rear speaker locations would probably be a better way to go, and it would save you a lot more room.
Yes, the amp companies are "smarter then that" you can use the outputs for the other amp whether its a mono block for a 10" or a 2ch for a set of mid bass drivers, also if you want independent control of the 12" sub just add the bass control http://www.bazooka.com/product...id=16
As to damage to the 12" like MLD211 said.....
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MLD211 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> As far as checking for damage about all i could tell you is you could compare impeadances on the voice coils but as long as you connect both voice coils and the sub works I wouldnt worry about untill it stops working. </TD></TR></TABLE> I agree 94
Old 10-12-2005, 03:08 PM
They let me pick

sweet thanks for all the help guys. i have that remote bass controller, it was free with my amp. i just had to mail some stuff in and bazooka sent it from louisiana in about a week. thanks again.