Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Audio / Security / Video (https://honda-tech.com/forums/audio-security-video-27/)
-   -   Horn/lights randomly go off when doors are locked! (https://honda-tech.com/forums/audio-security-video-27/horn-lights-randomly-go-off-when-doors-locked-2984342/)

Bolts8 09-29-2011 10:03 AM

Horn/lights randomly go off when doors are locked!

Hello,

I have a bit of an odd problem that I can't seem to figure out with my 2001 Honda accord EX (4 cylinder) coupe. My car has an Honda factory issued alarm system installed in it. When I lock the doors of my car (usually with my remote), the doors will lock and the alarm system makes the typical two beeping sounds when the doors lock. Over the past month or so, however, when the doors are locked and my alarm is activated, my horn will randomly start sounding off (along with headlights blinking with the horn) all on its own. It's exactly as if I would of hit the panic button on my remote,

It will happen only when the doors are locked, it will happen at random times (even when I'm vacation and my keys are hundreds of miles away with me), and lastly, the horn and lights will go off for a certain amount of time, then stop, then go off again.

Has this happened to anyone else, or would anyone have any idea what would be causing it? I can't let this keep going on, because evantually the horn and lights constantly going off will drain my battery. When I have left my far unlocked, it has not done this.

Any help would be great!

fcm 09-29-2011 06:03 PM

Re: Horn/lights randomly go off when doors are locked!

When you lock the doors with the remote you arm the alarm, if the alarm triggers, [sounds like your problem] the alarm will honk the horn and flash the lights, probably for 30sec. then reset and trigger again, [again, sounds like your problem].

Most likely the problem is in the alarm itself, it could be something triggering the alarm, [doors, trunk, hood or ign. input] pretty sure your Honda alarm does not have impact or motion sensors. 94

Bolts8 09-30-2011 04:59 AM

After talking with a mechanic I know, I was told the same thing about it being the alarm system more than likely. I was told by disarming the alarm system, it may solve the problem. I personally don't mind not having the alarm activated since I bought the car that way, but I want to be able to lock the car without worrying about by car not starting!

and the horn/lights going off in 30 second sequences sounds about right too.

daveydo 01-25-2013 02:45 PM

I 've had the same problem twice with my 20003 Accord coupe. Last year, after a dozen or so occurrances, it went away on it's own. Today, it's back. It's exactly as you describe.
However I DO NOT have an alarm system. I think it's moisture related as it occurred during a wet period and a cold snap. may be it's a door or hood interlock?

daveydo 01-25-2013 02:47 PM

I've yet to find a mechanic Honda dealer or otherwise who can diagnose it.

Blood Riot 02-01-2013 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bolts8 (Post 46100744)
Hello,

I have a bit of an odd problem that I can't seem to figure out with my 2001 Honda accord EX (4 cylinder) coupe. My car has an Honda factory issued alarm system installed in it. When I lock the doors of my car (usually with my remote), the doors will lock and the alarm system makes the typical two beeping sounds when the doors lock. Over the past month or so, however, when the doors are locked and my alarm is activated, my horn will randomly start sounding off (along with headlights blinking with the horn) all on its own. It's exactly as if I would of hit the panic button on my remote,

It will happen only when the doors are locked, it will happen at random times (even when I'm vacation and my keys are hundreds of miles away with me), and lastly, the horn and lights will go off for a certain amount of time, then stop, then go off again.

Has this happened to anyone else, or would anyone have any idea what would be causing it? I can't let this keep going on, because evantually the horn and lights constantly going off will drain my battery. When I have left my far unlocked, it has not done this.

Any help would be great!

Check your Door Lock Actuator. There is a rubber part on the mechanism that acts like a stopper, this rubber piece presses against the mechanism telling the electronic parts that the vehicle is locked, Because this piece is broken, the part cannot make contact with the mechanism, therefore your car thinks its not locked so it unlocks and locks again. That is what sets off your alarm. This is sort of a common thing to go out on the Acura Legend and I am guessing the same is happening with your car.

I actually have to fix mine, So I will be making a write up on this soon.

kozayagi 02-02-2013 04:15 AM

Hi Blood Riot - I really look forward to your write up! I'm having the exact same problem (2003 Accord Sedan).

daveydo 02-02-2013 12:49 PM

Hi Blood Riot, It seems like a plausable cause to me. However, where I've had 2 incidences a year apart, it will be pretty hard to verify that the actuator is in fact the problem. Having said that, if the cost of the part is small then it's worth a try.

Further, as I've stated earlier, I suspect moisture to be the cause. So, I will have to inspect the rubber plunger for damage that may be allowing moisture into the actuator. I'll post what I find.

Finally Does anyone know if there is a like acuator for the hood. If so,
where is it located?

Blood Riot 02-04-2013 04:35 AM

There should be a switch where the latch is located, the connector should be located at the bottom of the center beam of the core support.

If you want to bypass your alarm you can close the circuit on this connector and not have to worry about your alarm going off until you can figure out whats going on. This of course works for an old hunk of junk like my Legend. I'm not sure if it will be the same for your vehicle.

kozayagi 02-11-2013 03:09 AM

My problem got much more serious, I'm bringing the car in:
- Headlights and brakelights now flash for long periods of time silently, with no apparent rhyme or reason. Did it so much overnight a few days ago that the battery was completely dead in the AM.
- No longer gets out of gear (need to use the override every time, otherwise it acts like it's in PARK and the button won't budge).
- When I lock twice with the FOB, the horn no longer beeps once to ackowledge
- System arms sometimes, and other times it doesn't, randomly

I'll post back when I get more info from Honda this AM

1feocrx 02-11-2013 05:08 AM

You might have a messed alarm system.

kozayagi 02-15-2013 03:46 AM

Update: Everything's fixed! The problem had everything to do with the lower horn being corroded (10 yrs winter driving in Ottawa) and causing a short.

They replaced the horn and we did the hood latch at the same time (apparently also part of the problem). Total bill $560 /incl taxes... not much fun, but all of the problems have been solved.