Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Honda Fit speaker w/ tweeter advice

Old 05-09-2018, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Fit speaker w/ tweeter advice

Hello,

I'm looking to replace my 2007 Fit Sport lower door mounted speakers because my passenger side speaker is blown and I'd like a little upgrade in quality. I'm running the stock head unit and I don't need booming bass... the original speakers had sufficient bass for me. I like a nicely defined midrange in speakers since treble and bass can be adjusted.

I've found some pretty nice Polk audio speakers on crutchfield but these contain tweeters in the speaker. The Honda Fit Sport already comes with door mounted tweeters, mounted at the height of the side rear view mirrors. I'm thinking that the Polk Speakers with tweeters might be too bright. Is it recommendable to look for a speaker model that has no tweeter in them? Please advise. Thank you.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Honda Fit speaker w/ tweeter advice

Typically, you're either going to find coaxial (driver+tweeter) or component (Driver with separate tweeter) after market speakers. I've yet to see a speaker set that is just midrange driver. If you get a properly sized coaxial speaker with a silk tweeter (a soft tweeter design, not harsh), the distance from your ear and non-linear tweeter positioning will basically make the coaxial tweeter next-to-impossible to hear. I put kicker KS 6.5" coaxials in my 02 Si while keeping the original door pillar tweeter, and only got a nice deep midbass upgrade- the extra tweeter was un-noticable.

Last edited by thisguyaves; 05-20-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thisguyaves
Typically, you're either going to find coaxial (driver+tweeter) or component (Driver with separate tweeter) after market speakers. I've yet to see a speaker set that is just midrange driver. If you get a properly sized coaxial speaker with a silk tweeter (a soft tweeter design, not harsh), the distance from your ear and non-linear tweeter positioning will basically make the coaxial tweeter next-to-impossible to hear. I put kicker KS 6.5" coaxials in my 02 Si while keeping the original door pillar tweeter, and only got a nice deep midbass upgrade- the extra tweeter was un-noticable.
Hey buddy. I didn't stop to think how directional high frequencies are. Since the lower spear is aimed at my calfs, the tweeters shouldn't contribute too much. Thanks for your great advice, I wasn't really looking to spend the big bucks and spend time modifying the electronics to install a component system. Your reply has helped me alot. Thanks!

One last question if you are watching the thread: do you install any additional soundproofing in your job? I think some factory speakers come with a foam ring around the speaker casing to avoid rattling against the door. Is some kind of foam backing recommended?
Old 05-21-2018, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I watch everything car audio related on HT, lol.

I keep the original foam ring on the door panel if one exists. For the sake of anti-vibration, I make a gasket of hush-tape, dynamat, or similar aftermarket sound deadener. With the hole I cut in a square of that, I place the circle inside the speaker hole on the inside of the door skin directly behind the speaker. Hopefully this cross section helps.

If you're asking about a ring between the speaker face and grille that's built into the door panel, you really only have to worry about that in SQ applications. If you're not trying to drop $500 on a speaker set, don't bother honestly. Throw it in there if you want, no harm done, but I certainly never have on budget builds.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thisguyaves
I watch everything car audio related on HT, lol.

I keep the original foam ring on the door panel if one exists. For the sake of anti-vibration, I make a gasket of hush-tape, dynamat, or similar aftermarket sound deadener. With the hole I cut in a square of that, I place the circle inside the speaker hole on the inside of the door skin directly behind the speaker. Hopefully this cross section helps.

If you're asking about a ring between the speaker face and grille that's built into the door panel, you really only have to worry about that in SQ applications. If you're not trying to drop $500 on a speaker set, don't bother honestly. Throw it in there if you want, no harm done, but I certainly never have on budget builds.
Thanks for the drawing. I need to check on that anti vibration thing because my door buzzes alot.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I recomend Stinger Roadkill personally, but it's all the same. Like a heavy, adhesive tar on a aluminum foil feeling backing.