Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Dei 520t- BEst to upgrade the orginal battery.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Dei 520t- BEst to upgrade the orginal battery.

Originally Posted by d15bvtechatch
So are people just using this battery with the DEI 520t module? Also, is there a certain way to wire the battery/module. i tried the way it say on the back of the module. no worky
From my understanding you just replace the DEI battery with the new battery, keep everything else the same.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by d15bvtechatch
So are people just using this battery with the DEI 520t module? Also, is there a certain way to wire the battery/module. i tried the way it say on the back of the module. no worky
Yes, use the 520t module wired to your alarm system using one of the batteries mentioned on the thread.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello, thanks for the great thread. I am traveling to Mexico to install two custom alarm systems in 2011 Ford E350 Vans that were donated to an orphanage we support down there and I had a question. One of the vans was almost stolen two weeks after the orphanage got it so they are very paranoid about taking them out until I get these alarms installed.

I am going to purchase the Power-Sonic Genuine PS-1212 12V 1.4 Ah Rechargeable SLA Batteries to replace the OEM 520T backup batteries. I want to make sure the back-up batteries stay charged since a 'call back' isn't really an option (we only go down there to volunteer once a year).

Can I run a circuit from the main 12v (on-when-ignition-is-on) directly to the alarm backup battery? I would isolate the positive side of this circuit with a diode so that the backup battery would *always* be getting charged when the car is running. This would be in parallel to the DEI circuit which would be wired as normal (no diode) to ensure proper alarm function if the battery is disconnected.

Is this a safe configuration?

Thanks so much,
Jeff
Old 11-15-2012, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jeff652
Hello, thanks for the great thread. I am traveling to Mexico to install two custom alarm systems in 2011 Ford E350 Vans that were donated to an orphanage we support down there and I had a question. One of the vans was almost stolen two weeks after the orphanage got it so they are very paranoid about taking them out until I get these alarms installed.

I am going to purchase the Power-Sonic Genuine PS-1212 12V 1.4 Ah Rechargeable SLA Batteries to replace the OEM 520T backup batteries. I want to make sure the back-up batteries stay charged since a 'call back' isn't really an option (we only go down there to volunteer once a year).

Can I run a circuit from the main 12v (on-when-ignition-is-on) directly to the alarm backup battery? I would isolate the positive side of this circuit with a diode so that the backup battery would *always* be getting charged when the car is running. This would be in parallel to the DEI circuit which would be wired as normal (no diode) to ensure proper alarm function if the battery is disconnected.

Is this a safe configuration?

Thanks so much,
Jeff
The DEI circuit is already configured to do charge the backup battery.

You can run a circuit like you mentioned and still have the backup system function when power is cut to the unit, I'm just not sure if it will interfere with the 520T's charging circuit.

SLA batteries aren't made to last forever. At some point, they will need to be replaced just like any other rechargeable battery out there. That being said, you might consider making the battery accessible to the owner of the vehicle so they can easily replace it when time comes. (Of course, make sure the battery is still in a nicely concealed location)
Old 11-15-2012, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^Another idea is to maybe show the owner how the alarm is setup up at least basic setup+locations if possible so they have the knowledge to do work themselves
Old 11-16-2012, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BrotherAli
^Another idea is to maybe show the owner how the alarm is setup up at least basic setup+locations if possible so they have the knowledge to do work themselves
It would be much easier to just show them the location of the backup battery so they can replace it every 6-8 years.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EnjoyTheRideDC2
It would be much easier to just show them the location of the backup battery so they can replace it every 6-8 years.
Thanks guys that'll be my plan. Much appreciated!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I upgraded the back up battery with the PS-1212, but it seems like my backup battery still dies after about a week to where it barely works the alarm if the main car battery cable is pulled. What could be causing this? It also seems my alarm in general drains my battery in about a week after not driving. How long should the car battery be good for if not driving the car as often?
Old 12-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Without the car being driven, the backup battery wont be charging at all. If you plan to have your car sit for long periods of time, disconnect the battery all together. The reason why the ps-1212 doesn't perform as it should is because once the car battery is drained, the backup battery is next in line to provide power for the security system.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I understand that. It's my only car and I don't drive much because I don't go anywhere. No work or anything. But it seems like the back-up battery dies before the car battery in general. I don't drive long distances and at most i drive in a 3-5 mile radius which is not enough to charge the back-up battery.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:42 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Thanks for this post. My 520t battery was DOA on install (granted, it had been sitting for quite some time). I've ordered a Panasonic 12V 1.3ah SLA to replace it.