Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Compustar Alarm opinions

Old 08-24-2006, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Compustar Alarm opinions

I have been checking out the compustar 2wss-as alarms.

You can pick them up for $200 on sleazebay.

Anyone have experience with this brand of alarm and can make some comments about it?

When the alarm is going off and you disarm the alarm does the doors unlock?
Old 08-24-2006, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Compustar Alarm opinions (nsxxtreme)

I have nonething bad to say about them. Great alarm system and I have not had anyproblems so far with them. I just started carrying them and I installed about 33 for them so far. No it won't unlock the doors if the alarm is going off. you have to hit it twice for it.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:48 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Good alarm, and not only does it not unlock the doors, [when you press disarm when it's alarming] it does not disarm the alarm, it just resets alarm to armed, [turns of siren and light flash]. 94

PS, I should add the the 2W900FM, [upgrade for the 2WSS] is a better system, here read... http://www.compustar.com/security.htm
Old 08-24-2006, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Compustar Alarm opinions (fcm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fcm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">PS, I should add the the 2W900FM, [upgrade for the 2WSS] is a better system </TD></TR></TABLE>

How is it a better system? From what posted on there site I assume the FM version uses the Fm frequency band but no spread spectrum. Which would be the reason for twice the range difference.

Enlighten me never hear of this brand til now.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go through an authorized dealer for an alarm... that way if something breaks you can get it fixed right away, and not be open to theft.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good alarm and user friendly too
Old 08-24-2006, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Compustar Alarm opinions (95civicdx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95civicdx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Go through an authorized dealer for an alarm... that way if something breaks you can get it fixed right away, and not be open to theft.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm not worried about a dealer if something breaks I can repair it myself. Buy from a dealer your without an alarm for two weeks while it being repaired. So lets not get into that argument
Old 08-24-2006, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton

Old 08-24-2006, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wrx-killer-Sti eater)

in that case... your right
Old 08-24-2006, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95civicdx)

Horrible instructions, no onboard relays... from an installers point of view, it's either a pain in the *** or a great way to charge the customer for extra relays and labor. A great alarm from a users point of view.

BTW the feature fcm mentioned is pretty common. Crime Guard and most DEI alarms have it.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BTW the feature fcm mentioned is pretty common. Crime Guard and most DEI alarms have it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The old clifford I have on my truck disarms the alarm and unlocks the doors when you turn the alarm off. It is a 700 IQ or 7000 dont remember it was right before the G5 stuff came out. That was the last time I bought an alarm so was just checking.

I have a fully loaded G5 900IQ? something like that sitting in my garage. Its got every option imaginable. It has so many damn wires, that's why its still sitting in the garage lol.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fcm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">PS, I should add the the 2W900FM, [upgrade for the 2WSS] is a better system, here read...</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxxtreme &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How is it a better system? From what is posted on there site I assume the FM version uses the Fm frequency band but no spread spectrum. Which would be the reason for twice the range difference.

Enlighten me never hear of this brand til now.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-25-2006, 03:12 PM
fcm
Old Fart

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxxtreme &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How is it a better system? From what posted on there site I assume the FM version uses the Fm frequency band but no spread spectrum. Which would be the reason for twice the range difference.

Enlighten me never hear of this brand til now.</TD></TR></TABLE>No that's about the only diff., other then the diff. looking remote, but as stated. much longer batt. life and much faster communication between the main unit and the remote, both were a complaints some customers had with the 2WASS.
In the real world the only thing I ever found wrong with the 2WASS was every once in a while, [for reasons still unknown] the brain would "forget" the remotes code, and recoding had to be done, and it does not happen with all 2WASS I installed, but it does happen to enough 2WASS-a/s/as that it is a bit of a problem, and it only forgets the 2way remote, not the 1way "backup" remote, [all our Compustars come with 2 remotes].

But if you can live with that, IMO the 2WASS is still better 2way then anything else out there, [other then the 2W900FM]. 94
Old 08-25-2006, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is what compustar had to say.

"Thank you for your interest in Compustar. We are actually redoing our whole website right now so it will be more user friendly when its finished. The main difference between the 2WSS and the 2W900FM is the range. The SS gets up to 6,000 feet where the 900FM gets up to 3,000 feet of range. Other than that, they have the same functions. The 900FM does have a clock on its display which turns into a run time indicator, whereas the SS does not have the clock. Since the 2WSS uses spread spectrum it has a slight delay (2-3 seconds) in transmitting signals. The 2W900FM, along with the rest of the models, have an instantaneous response when transmitting signals. The delay is not long, but some people are impatient and don’t want to deal with it. Please let me know if you have any other questions."
Old 08-25-2006, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fcm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But if you can live with that, IMO the 2WASS is still better 2way then anything else out there, [other then the 2W900FM]. 94</TD></TR></TABLE>

How about range do you know what the transmit power is on both of them. Spread spectrum should be using a higher transmit power because FCC will allow a higher transmit power on SS.

I laugh everytime I look at 2 way radios, 5mile, 7mile, 10mile all have the same transmit power. Marketing gimick.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:06 AM
fcm
Old Fart

If you mean watts, [transmit power] I have no idea.

Sounds like another question for Compustar, or maybe they will have that info on their new, "redone" site. 94
Old 08-27-2006, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just found a Canadian verion of the 2W900FM-AS. Says it has a range of 6000ft which is just like the SS version

check it out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...h=016

I wonder if this information is true
Old 08-28-2006, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fcm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like another question for Compustar, or maybe they will have that info on their new, "redone" site. 94</TD></TR></TABLE>

Question to compustar "What is the transmit power of the SS and FM alarms"

Reply from compustar
"I don’t quite know what you mean by transmit power. They are both 900MHz. Just one is FM and one is SS."

They are not winning me over
Old 08-29-2006, 07:26 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Ask them how many "watts" of output the remote has. 94
Old 08-29-2006, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fcm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Ask them how many "watts" of output the remote has. 94</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not interested in the remotes transmit power which is probably pretty low.

Since the remote is also a pager I am interested in the transmit power of the alarms. Each link is a one way link independent of the other.

I rephrased my question to them along with an example so they understand what transmit power is. Just goes to show you sales and marketing will tell you whatever you want to hear to sell a product, even if they dont know how the product works.

I am interested in seeing if they do transmit at a higher power when they are using spread spectrum. Or if they transmit at the same power and rely on the spread spectrum benefits to get the additional range.