Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Car wont start after sub/amp install

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont start after sub/amp install

Hey ppl,

Just installed a sub/amp in 94 'lude. Everything went fine untill I went to start the car. I have power to EVERYTHING, lights, HU, speakers etc...

I have checked each and EVERY fuse but they are all good. I tried to disconnect the amps power cable from the batery but still that same. The batery is still good.

It doesn't crank over at all, all I can here is a 'click' sound when i try to start the car(main relay..?) so I don't think that's the problem?

The car started 1st go every go before I installed the sub & amp. What else can I try? And if you have any suggestions can you please explain how to check what ever it may be?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-06-2006, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Car wont start after sub/amp install (Flip01)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Flip01 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The batery is still good.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What's your battery voltage?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It doesn't crank over at all, all I can here is a 'click' sound when i try to start the car</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe you ran your system too loud for too long and drained your battery, and now you don't have enough juice to start the engine.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car wont start after sub/amp install (02 accord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 02 accord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What's your battery voltage?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Not sure...will check soon.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 02 accord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe you ran your system too loud for too long and drained your battery, and now you don't have enough juice to start the engine.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Is it possible for the batery to still have enought charge to power everything else without any problems what-so-ever but not start that car?

It make no attempt at all to crank over...?
Old 09-06-2006, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Car wont start after sub/amp install (Flip01)

Yes, it's possible. Your battery is just dead. Give it a boost and you'll be fine. Clicking noise is what the starter makes when it doesn't get enough juice.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car wont start after sub/amp install (Odessa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Odessa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes, it's possible. Your battery is just dead. Give it a boost and you'll be fine. Clicking noise is what the starter makes when it doesn't get enough juice.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks for the help, much appricated! I'll let you know how I go when I get home.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well that didn't work...

Any other ideas?
Old 09-07-2006, 06:30 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: (Flip01)

Is it a 5 speed, have you accidentally disconnected the "Clutch Interlock Switch"?

Is it an automatic, have you accidentally unplugged the "Gear Position Switch"

Try this, turn on head lights, then try and start the car, do head lights go out or get very dim?

Also check that batt. terminals are tight, both the pos. and neg., also make sure the batt. connection at the starter motor is tight and that the starter motor solenoid trigger lead is plugged into the solenoid.

If all the above seem good, try this.... with a 12ga or 10ga "jumper" wire connect one end to the batt. pos.(+) terminal then unplug the solenoid trigger lead, [probably a black/white lead] and touch the "jumper" lead to the trigger input terminal of the starter motor solenoid, make sure car is in neutral or park, ign. does not need to be on, all your checking for is if starter motor and solenoid are good. 94
Old 09-07-2006, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for your help guys. I found the problem.

I ripped apart my whole dash only to find an aftermarket imobliser, ghetto rigged into the ignition. It's one of the shittest jobs i've ever seen! It has a kill switch which I had to hold in while I turned the key, so I disconnected it and away I went. I'm not sure what activated it cos I have never had a problem wiht it...weird.

Thanks again guys!
Old 09-07-2006, 07:37 PM

Maybe you disconnected the battery and that's how it got activated? But good thing that you found it, because it's something you wouldn't expect.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Flip01 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">aftermarket imobliser, ghetto rigged into the ignition.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The subs shook up the ghetto rigged connections and they came loose. Why do people always miss the obvious?
Old 09-07-2006, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (02 accord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 02 accord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The subs shook up the ghetto rigged connections and they came loose. Why do people always miss the obvious?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why would it be obvious? I have never had a problem with it before, the previous owner didn't tell me it was there, it would have to be a huge sub set up to shake up the connections that much(if this WAS the case i would assume that just driving the car on any bumpy surface would make the connections loose), and it was hiddin up in behind the dash. I wouldn't exactly call that obvious.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, you win. I have no idea what happened.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:21 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Car wont start after sub/amp install

Hey I recent install sub in my Acura I have n 04 TL n when I tried to crank it up I kept getting a rumbling noise n would crank I jumped it off n all only until I disconnected the ground wire from the amp on both side it drunk on the second time. But it cranks but not like it usually do (perfect) could u take a pic of what happed to ur with the ign u explained in ur post here so I can check mine
Old 05-08-2016, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is 10 years old!!!
Old 05-09-2016, 01:05 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts