Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Which car audio speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which car audio speakers?

So I'm looking for a new set of speakers as one of mine died on me. These are the three main ones I'm considering. Which ones would you guys choose? The Polk DB's are the ones I currently have where one of them died. I was fairly happy with them, but wondering if I shouldn't try something else. These will be my rear speakers in a system with no sub woofer.

JL Audio's
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136TR60...tab=review#tab

Alpines
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SPS6...00&ssi=0&tp=95

Polk DB's
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB65...107DB651&ssi=0

So which do you guys recommend out of these three?

BTW these will be getting about 70 watts rms a piece.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which car audio speakers?

None of the above.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, what are good choices for some rear 6.5" speakers that I can get from Crutchfield?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No rears, dude. They just mess up the sound stage.

Focus more on your fronts

deaden ur doors, give them more power..etc
Old 07-13-2010, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have plenty of decent sound for my front, and I've heard the argument on no rears, and honestly I've tried it. However, I can't stand not having rears. To me it just sounds like ****. I really like having some music from the rear. I know a lot of guys disagree with me, but I like having rears.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.woofersetc.com/p5557/CTX6...k-Tweeters.htm
Old 07-13-2010, 11:05 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

All are good speakers, have you taken a look into infinity? They make very good speakers for the money.

I have had polk speakers, and i loved them, as well as alpine. However i have no experience with jl speakers.

I have infinity front speakers, with 60 wats rms and i couldnt be happier.
And i agree, i went nuts when i only had front speeakers, sounds terrible to me.
Btw, i am runing cliff desings in the back, but i dont think you can get them from crutchfeild.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
All are good speakers, have you taken a look into infinity? They make very good speakers for the money.

I have had polk speakers, and i loved them, as well as alpine. However i have no experience with jl speakers.

I have infinity front speakers, with 60 wats rms and i couldnt be happier.
And i agree, i went nuts when i only had front speeakers, sounds terrible to me.
Btw, i am runing cliff desings in the back, but i dont think you can get them from crutchfeild.
I went ahead and ordered the JL's. I've never used them either, but figured I'd try them out. I really like Infinity speakers and actually had a pair I was looking into in addition to these I didn't post up. I'm just not sure what made me like these 3 pair more. I've used Infinity subs in the past and always been very happy.

I also have used Polks and Alpines. I love the Alpines and have been using them for years in one of our Honda's. The Polks are actually the ones I posted above, and are actually the ones I'm replacing. One died on me. However, I noticed when I took it out the rubber surround was coming apart in several places. That made me rethink the quality of these things. They aren't that old. Not old enough they should be deteriorating like that. However, the Polks did sound pretty good. After seeing the rubber surround coming apart on the woofer, I decided another set of those were not for me. Sucks as I have another set of Polk DB's too. I hope those don't do this. I had a set of Polk Momo's in the past and they were some of my favorites. The problem was they won't fit in the doors of this truck without some modification to the door panel. That's why I used the DB's last time. The Alpines were very tempting also as I absolutely have loved every single piece of Alpine equipment I've had. I've had several amps from them, 2 head units from them, and a set of speakers from them. All have impressed me.

I've also got some Pioneer 6.5"s in the 96 Accord and while I like Pioneer H/U's and home audio stuff, I've never been impressed with the speakers I've had for the car. So I didn't even consider them this time around.

So basically in the end it came down to the Alpines or JL's or maybe the Infinity's.

After thinking and thinking and thinking and not being able to decide. I just ended up deciding that I've never tried the JL's so I'd go ahead and see how I liked them. If I like them I will know to use them in the future. If they suck, I will get something from Alpine or Infinity in the future.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

One problem I just realized I may experience is while Crutchfield says they are 6.5" speakers. Looking up that part number on other sites shows them as 6" speakers and the TR650's being 6.5" ones. If these turn out to be 6" ones can I use them in a 6.5" hole?
Old 07-14-2010, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
One problem I just realized I may experience is while Crutchfield says they are 6.5" speakers. Looking up that part number on other sites shows them as 6" speakers and the TR650's being 6.5" ones. If these turn out to be 6" ones can I use them in a 6.5" hole?
Pretty sure they will end up being 6" speakers if I remember correctly. I don't understand the manufacturers these days everything to save a dime here or there I guess.

Since you said you didn't have a sub I suspect you want some bass out of those rear speakers. I have not heard the Alpines but have owned the others. I use the Polk audio's for my tower speakers on my boat. Even those I had to order 6.75" in order to get a 6.5" speaker. They work great for mids and highs.

JL's are great for mids and highs also.

But for some bass I think I would have gone with the infinity's. They pack a small punch.

IHowever, I noticed when I took it out the rubber surround was coming apart in several places. That made me rethink the quality of these things. They aren't that old. Not old enough they should be deteriorating like that.
Where these front door speakers? Usually when this happens it's from water damage. Your doors are not sealed so when it rains the water runs down the inside of your door and into your speaker. Over time it softens the glue and makes the speaker fall apart. I alway creat a shield to run the water around the speaker. I've never had an issue with a speaker falling apart.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nsxxtreme
Pretty sure they will end up being 6" speakers if I remember correctly. I don't understand the manufacturers these days everything to save a dime here or there I guess.

Since you said you didn't have a sub I suspect you want some bass out of those rear speakers. I have not heard the Alpines but have owned the others. I use the Polk audio's for my tower speakers on my boat. Even those I had to order 6.75" in order to get a 6.5" speaker. They work great for mids and highs.

JL's are great for mids and highs also.

But for some bass I think I would have gone with the infinity's. They pack a small punch.

Where these front door speakers? Usually when this happens it's from water damage. Your doors are not sealed so when it rains the water runs down the inside of your door and into your speaker. Over time it softens the glue and makes the speaker fall apart. I alway creat a shield to run the water around the speaker. I've never had an issue with a speaker falling apart.
It was actually the rear door speakers. I've never had one fall apart either, but this had several tears in the surround. I'm not sure what happened to them other than the rubber seemed really really thin.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It was actually the rear door speakers. I've never had one fall apart either, but this had several tears in the surround. I'm not sure what happened to them other than the rubber seemed really really thin.
Rear doors same deal my bet would be water damage if they were not properly protected.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I can't of course be sure they never got wet. Yet they didn't look like they had any water damage and I'm not sure how they could have gotten wet since I hardly ever open the rear doors. I'm not sure what went wrong though. I can't say they were bad speakers, because I don't know what happened to them and they did sound good. I can't say I loved them either though.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:42 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

the water damage happend with my kickers, but only the sticker on the back came off, didnt affect the seaker in any way.

Im sure you will be more then happy with your purchuse. jl is a great name.

As for the speakers, have you tried contacting polk?, this sort of thing happend with the polk tower speakers we had, and they replaced the speakers, free of charge.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I can't of course be sure they never got wet. Yet they didn't look like they had any water damage and I'm not sure how they could have gotten wet since I hardly ever open the rear doors. I'm not sure what went wrong though. I can't say they were bad speakers, because I don't know what happened to them and they did sound good. I can't say I loved them either though.
You don't need to open the doors to get water damage.

Again your doors are not water tight. When it rains the water goes between the window and seal and down the inside of your door. That is why every car made has small holes at the bottom of the door so the water drains out. Which is also the reason for the plastic behind your door panels to act as a vapor barrier. If you did not protect the back of your speakers from water coming from inside the door panel then that is how the water got in. Through the back of the speaker. Over time the water will detroy just about any speaker made no matter how much you pay for them. The polks will probably actually last a little longer because the are also classified as marine speakers.