Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Can I get rid of ignition beep?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I get rid of "keys in the ignition" beep?

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP, BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP, Can I get rid of this?
Old 05-18-2007, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Can I get rid of "keys in the ignition" beep? (Blamm!!)

Yes. Close the door.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can I get rid of "keys in the ignition" beep? (02 accord)

come on man
Old 05-19-2007, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blamm!! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Can I get rid of this? </TD></TR></TABLE>
yes you can...but i can't tell you how unless you tell me the year, make, and model of your vehicle first.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can I get rid of "keys in the ignition" beep? (jz98ctr)

I thought the moderators hated when users state the model, yr and stuff? but I have a '00 Accord Ex 4 cyl. Thanks in advance
Old 05-19-2007, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blamm!! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I thought the moderators hated when users state the model, yr and stuff? but I have a '00 Accord Ex 4 cyl. Thanks in advance </TD></TR></TABLE>

you thought wrong...the more info you give on your car and its setup the better we can help you out...and the quicker and more precisely answer your questions to keep the repeating threads to a minimum.

are you talking about the key in the ignition while the door's open beep?
or the lights are on and the car's off beep?
Old 05-19-2007, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can I get rid of "keys in the ignition" beep? (jz98ctr)

yeah keys in the ignition when door is open. and there is a mod named redneck dave that shuns the inclusion of info like that.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blamm!! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah keys in the ignition when door is open. and there is a mod named redneck dave that shuns the inclusion of info like that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

with good reason...ever lock your keys in your car before...this little beeping helps to remind you that the key's in the ignition... so when you get out of the car and leave the keys in...you DON'T lock your keys inside.

i'm still at a loss as to why you would want to do this though. either take the key out or close the door. what is the situation where this beeping is getting to you so bad to the point where you wish to disable it.

i know on some of the older hondas there is a small box underneath the dash somewhere with a small 2 pin plug going into it. simply unplug it if you can find it. i'm not 100% on some of the newer ones though...you'd have to drop the underdash panels, put the key into the ignition cylinder so it starts to beep and trace where the sound's comin from. on some of the newer cars there might be a centralized box that controls multiple accessories in the car and the door chime might actually be part of this controller box...so unplugging it would prolly be a bad idea.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:48 PM

Easy: Close your Door
Easy2: Remove your key
Easy3: disconnect your door pin &lt;- not recommended cause your alarm relies on this pin.

-------

If you are removing it for a show.... you could have a hidden switch that temporarily cuts the door pin line so that the noise would stop when you leave the door open and the car running on the battery...

another way is to find the wire in the steering column that tells the car that the key is in the ignition.. and just cut that wire... but there are lots of solutions to that...

a more complicated one is this..

Cut the wire that says your key is in the ignition.

using a relay, connect one part of that cut wire to the common pin and the other to the N/C pin

connect the coil of the relay to the accessory line and a ground.

this will allow your system to beep when the key is in the off position but not in the acc position.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blamm!! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I thought the moderators hated when users state the model, yr and stuff?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you ******* high, son? You got that backwards.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:40 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

First, ditto the above, you misunderstood redneck or he is "******* high", as mentioned MM&Y of car is a must in solving any electrical problem and in most other cases, maybe not if you asked what color to paint your car.

The warning chimes, [key still in ign., lights still on, seat belts] are all controlled by the ICU, [integrated control unit] you can't remove it, it controls other things, you may be able to remove the chime itself, however you also lose head lights still on and seat belt warning.

You still have not said why you want to get rid of it, and if it is only key still in ign. chime that you do not want???? 94
Old 05-20-2007, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can I get rid of "keys in the ignition" beep? (fcm)

FYI Im not high. Reasons for wanting to do this...
1: I want to listen to the radio while cleaning my car,
2: hanging out in or around the car when working on it,
3: getting in and out alot while passenegers are in it when I just don't want to remove the keys,
4: idling for a minute while I stop and get out to talk to a friend
5: Just because!
Old 05-21-2007, 05:29 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Find key sense wire, blue/white in ign. harness, and depin it at the plug, that way you can reconnect it later if you need to, just in case it is needed for the transponder key or you lock the keys in the car too many times. 94
Old 05-17-2012, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can I get rid of ignition beep?

my ignition stopped chiming when the key is in, is there a fuse or something for it? 95 gsr
Old 05-18-2012, 09:00 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Originally Posted by kevvvinooo
my ignition stopped chiming when the key is in, is there a fuse or something for it? 95 gsr
You do know this is a 5 year old tread, right?

To be clear, your ign. did not chime, the chime did, [because the key was in the ign.] the chime is controlled, [as mentioned] by the ICU.

Question, is it only the "key still in ign." warning chime that no longer works, do you still have "lights still on" and "seatbelt not on" warning chime? 94
Old 05-21-2012, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol i didn't realize it was 5 years old, i just found this on google. But okay to be clearer, my "chime" used to chime (when the key was in the ignition), now the "chime" doesn't chime anymore. I don't remember the seatbelt ever setting the chime on when it was off (because there is already a seatbelt indicator), although i could be wrong.

I just checked and for some odd reason the chime came back??? lol but it does chime for both the headlights on or leaving the key in the ignition.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I also hate the chime, and removing it 5 years ago has never caused me to forget my keys or caused any loss in functionality. If I'm detailing the interior or something, I can have the door open and the radio on and not be nagged to death by an incessant chime.

The speaker is inside a black module that is on the backside of the under-dash fuse box. Take the 10mm's off the under-dash fusebox, flip it over, unplug the harness to the module, then carefully pry the module around all edges until it pops out. Inside, look for the speaker that is soldered to the circuit board. The safest and reversible thing to do is desolder it. It isn't hard, and a soldering iron is about $15 (get the pistol style at least 100 watts) and a spring loaded solder sucker.

You may be able to cut the two connections and pull out the speaker but it's been quite a while since I did this so I can't say for sure.

Last edited by baller status; 05-21-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: b-lo 2 the roc NY, south BX to the heights NYC, central 2 south FL

[QUOTE=baller status;47376980]I also hate the chime, and removing it 5 years ago has never caused me to forget my keys or caused any loss in functionality. If I'm detailing the interior or something,QUOTE]

you must move really slow lol jk
im in and out and in a hurry sometimes that i definetly need it
i shaved the handles on my pickup to so i def need reminder