Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

autostart on a 5 speed

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default autostart on a 5 speed

ok i have a 99 honda civic ex that is a 5spd and i'm wanting to get an autostart/alarm put in it. i was wondering if there was an autostart that can detect if your car is in gear that way it won't start it and make it lurch forward if it is left in gear. i've been told like 5 different things from you can't put an autostart in a 5spd to none of them will start if it is left in gear. one person told me that the compustar 2wshr can detect this, so i was thinking about getting that one. I was just wondering what you guys thought.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: autostart on a 5 speed (R_A_Y_N_E)

there are now many products out that allow you to use any aftermarket auto start on a 5 speeds. So you can really choose any alarm that you want
Old 02-26-2008, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was talking to a guy at Circuit City and he said it's illegal to put a remote starter on a 5 speed, but maybe that's just North Carolina.
Since your car is a '99, then no matter what you do it won't lurch forward, all cars with a manual transmission since I think '77 have a blocker on them so that the engine doesn't even crank if the car is in gear.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:42 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: (guitarplayer825)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by guitarplayer825 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was talking to a guy at Circuit City and he said it's illegal to put a remote starter on a 5 speed, but maybe that's just North Carolina.
Since your car is a '99, then no matter what you do it won't lurch forward, all cars with a manual transmission since I think '77 have a blocker on them so that the engine doesn't even crank if the car is in gear.</TD></TR></TABLE> WHAT????

Standard transmission cars have a CIS, [Clutch Interlock Switch] requiring you to step on the clutch, [disengage clutch] to start the car whether transmission is in gear or not, and the car will "crank" and start even if in gear, there is no "blocker".

R_A_Y_N_E as mentioned, there are "modules" available that will allow you to use any remote start on your 5 speed, there are also remote starts that will work safely on a standard and even remote starts for standard transmissions only,

Remote starts that will work on auto or standard transmissions and ones for standard transmissions only also come in alarm/remote start combo units, available from Compustar, Audiovox, [Prestige] UltraStart, BlackWidow and "Autostart" 94

Old 02-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for your help guys!
Old 03-21-2008, 04:13 AM

I just found what may be a hidden feature on my '99 Accord EX. I was having trouble with the driver door opening, so I was pressing the factory remote open and lock buttons several times in a succession. Amazingly the car started and ran until I got in, inserted the key in the ignition, turned to the on position then to the off position which shut the engine off. Wow, what a surprise this was. If you have an EX, please give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

Thanks,
Carl
Old 03-21-2008, 05:32 AM
HT Order of Merit

Default Re: autostart on a 5 speed (clrizzo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by clrizzo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just found what may be a hidden feature on my '99 Accord EX. I was having trouble with the driver door opening, so I was pressing the factory remote open and lock buttons several times in a succession. Amazingly the car started and ran until I got in, inserted the key in the ignition, turned to the on position then to the off position which shut the engine off. Wow, what a surprise this was. If you have an EX, please give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

Thanks,
Carl </TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you buy the car used? You probably just discovered an old remote start that is still installed.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: autostart on a 5 speed (clrizzo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by clrizzo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just found what may be a hidden feature on my '99 Accord EX. I was having trouble with the driver door opening, so I was pressing the factory remote open and lock buttons several times in a succession. Amazingly the car started and ran until I got in, inserted the key in the ignition, turned to the on position then to the off position which shut the engine off. Wow, what a surprise this was. If you have an EX, please give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

Thanks,
Carl </TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL!! Yeah, that's amazing, that the remote start feature works when there's a remote starter installed!!

Great first post, sir.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Now that I have figured out what my PW was and can actually log in again just wanna say thanks for all the input people! :p

Originally Posted by clrizzo
I just found what may be a hidden feature on my '99 Accord EX. I was having trouble with the driver door opening, so I was pressing the factory remote open and lock buttons several times in a succession. Amazingly the car started and ran until I got in, inserted the key in the ignition, turned to the on position then to the off position which shut the engine off. Wow, what a surprise this was. If you have an EX, please give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

Thanks,
Carl
Well that would be awesome if it was a hidden feature ^_^ I honestly wouldn't be able to tell you now since I have had one installed. JDM_Ej is probably right though; there was probably one installed in your car and whoever you bought it from either didn't know (if it was a dealer that's probably the case) or neglected to tell you. That's awesome that you found it and even cooler that you were able to turn it on with the stock remote lock/unlock buttons. If I can find my old stock remote I'm tempted to try it just for ***** and giggles. Would be nice to have a back up for my back up remote :p Especially since my main remote costs around $130 to replace.

Oh and if anyone was curious, I went with a Compustar pro series system. Best investment I think I've ever made.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: autostart on a 5 speed

Do they have any for Egs?
Old 02-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I installed a viper system on my car that has manual transmission mode. That means I have to press the brake, pull the parking brake, release the foot brake, hit the remote start button, then take the key out(the engine stays running) and get out of the car. When I lock it, the system arms and shuts down the vehicle. That way it knows that I'm in neutral because I got out of a running car. If you get back inside without repeating those steps, the system is reset and it won't remote start. This way you can't go wrong.

Or you can make custom neutral safety switches.

And to the guy that said cars newer than '77 can't start it gear, thats incorrect, almost any manual car can start it gear
Old 02-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by trade show nerd
I found what might be a hidden feature on my '99 Accord EX. I was having trouble with the driver door opening, so I was pressing the factory remote open and lock buttons several times in a succession. Amazingly the car started and ran until I got in, inserted the key in the ignition, turned to the on position then to the off position which shut the engine off. Wow, what a surprise this was. If you have an EX, please give it a try and let me know if it works for you.
Freaking cool! I wish my car would do that. But the only surprises I get are the occasional dead battery or flat tire.

Last edited by frankh; 02-27-2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dlstech
I installed a viper system on my car that has manual transmission mode. That means I have to press the brake, pull the parking brake, release the foot brake, hit the remote start button, then take the key out(the engine stays running) and get out of the car. When I lock it, the system arms and shuts down the vehicle. That way it knows that I'm in neutral because I got out of a running car. If you get back inside without repeating those steps, the system is reset and it won't remote start. This way you can't go wrong.

Or you can make custom neutral safety switches.

And to the guy that said cars newer than '77 can't start it gear, thats incorrect, almost any manual car can start it gear
Good lord, you have to do a lot to get yours to enable. All I have to do is put it in neutral and pull the e-brake and then get out for mine to enable. Mine stays running till I shut the door and disables itself if I get back into it and don't restart it but at least I don't have to press the brake or a button.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SharkEg
Do they have any for Egs?
Yah as far as I know you can put them on Egs. You can call and ask the manufacture to make sure though. I know Compustar has a service and question line. They are really worth it in the winter :D
Old 02-26-2012, 10:59 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Remote starts can be installed on any car. 94
Old 02-26-2012, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sweet. Good thing it's warmin up so I don't have to buy one till next winter... Or until it gets to hot and I don't want to soak my seats from sack sweat
Old 02-27-2012, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya might start price/feature comparing now that way by next winter, or when it hits 110 degrees again, you'll already know what you want. Good luck pickin one out dude
Old 03-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And to the guy that said cars newer than '77 can't start it gear, thats incorrect, almost any manual car can start it gear[/QUOTE]

yeah i found that out the hard way when my civic smacked into a boulder outside work on a cold winter night. left it in gear and i now have a big scrape and crack in my bumper
Old 03-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (guitarplayer825)

Originally Posted by fcm
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by guitarplayer825 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was talking to a guy at Circuit City and he said it's illegal to put a remote starter on a 5 speed, but maybe that's just North Carolina.
Since your car is a '99, then no matter what you do it won't lurch forward, all cars with a manual transmission since I think '77 have a blocker on them so that the engine doesn't even crank if the car is in gear.</TD></TR></TABLE> WHAT????

Standard transmission cars have a CIS, [Clutch Interlock Switch] requiring you to step on the clutch, [disengage clutch] to start the car whether transmission is in gear or not, and the car will "crank" and start even if in gear, there is no "blocker". 94
Well there are "blockers" maybe not comercially available but I have designed one. I've stumbled across a couple of other people who have designed them as well.