Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Anyone here own Us amps?

Old 05-15-2009, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone here own Us amps?

Does anyone here have any problem with they first purchase with the US amps? I brought an US amp from Audiosaving and it said that it bring new with the box, manual, and booklet. After installing it the amp, it work fine with the gain and sub. The next following day the amp stop playing and went into protect mode. I could no longer play the sub while engine on but only 12 volt battery. Does anyone here know what the problem might be? I had a quantum audio amp install before and it work with no problem. I'm thinking maybe the amp might have some minor problem. Anyone here can help, please?
Old 05-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone here own Us amps?

Well first of all USamps is the $h!t, well there amps made in 99' and older are. a few years back i had a USA 150, it did about 500w x1 rms@12v@2ohm bridged. There amps made after that kinda went, plop!... they were hand made in florida, i think they are assembly line made now.. possibly even overseas now.. but if you get an old school one- generally all 10" tall, from 8-44" long, they kept the same chassis footprint, those are sick! usually have direct connect leads hanging out, plexi bottoms, and power hungry, very!

Anyways, thats a small history lesson, if your amp is not to that old school traditional format, and is "new", then your have a lower quality USamps amplifier.. sorry.. but if it is giving you problems after 1 day, either (A) you have it wired up wrong, or (B) that low quality is showing through and it needs to be returned..

What model did you buy, and what subs do you have, and how are they wired to the amp?
Old 05-15-2009, 05:01 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

my dad had one of the newer ones and it blew in 6 months.
but he pulled his old one out from the mid 90's threw it in my accord and that thing beat till it blew my sub lol
Old 05-16-2009, 03:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by twentyhurtz
Well first of all USamps is the $h!t, well there amps made in 99' and older are. a few years back i had a USA 150, it did about 500w x1 rms@12v@2ohm bridged. There amps made after that kinda went, plop!... they were hand made in florida, i think they are assembly line made now.. possibly even overseas now.. but if you get an old school one- generally all 10" tall, from 8-44" long, they kept the same chassis footprint, those are sick! usually have direct connect leads hanging out, plexi bottoms, and power hungry, very!

Anyways, thats a small history lesson, if your amp is not to that old school traditional format, and is "new", then your have a lower quality USamps amplifier.. sorry.. but if it is giving you problems after 1 day, either (A) you have it wired up wrong, or (B) that low quality is showing through and it needs to be returned..

What model did you buy, and what subs do you have, and how are they wired to the amp?
Thanks for letting me know. I brought a US amp Merlin MD-1D from Audiosaving. Everything look new when i first receive it. I pretty sure i hook it right because it work first time install. The next following day it was playing some music along and it cut off and no longer hear bass. The amp is on while the protect mode is on. I don't understand what's wrong? How could i hook this wrong? I had an amp install before Us amp and it work perfectly fine. Bass where playing very well. The amp is 1 ohm stable, right? I hook it up on JBL GTO 2 ohm sub. Wire it down to 1 ohm on the amp and it work.

I'm using 4 guage and 80 amp fuse for the amp and according to the us amp booklet. It say that i have to install 8 gauge for power and ground wire then add the fuse on the amp which 30 and total 90 amp fuse recommend, how? The amp say it put out 1200 R.m.s? IS that under-rated? I don't think and 8 gauge would put out that much of power, and i never seem a 8 gauge fuse running 100 amp fuse. I'm thinking the amp might be defective or some minor problem. I thought this amp would be excellent but it turn out be some clone amp. I'm not too sure. I had use HIfonics, Kicker, and quantum audio and never had a strange issuse with it.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, well you have good questions, but you certainly have some misunderstandings.. You cannot add the fuse on the amp and the power wire to get a total fuse rating, it just does not work like that, first the fuse on the amp, well protects the amp, the fuse on the wire is not for the amp, its for the wire.. Yes that amp is a 1ohm stable amp, and should handle two of those woofers, the amp could have easily just crapped out on your, it happens, when i worked at an audio shop i have seen a $500 dollar Hu crap out in less than 20 seconds of installation (yes it was hooked up right, just appartently was not inspected) running 4 gauge instead of a recommended 8 will not hurt, though i agree, an amp tha size should need 4 gauge, i would send the amp back.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, I took the US amp Merlin MD-1d out of the vehicle because i gonna see if i can re-install it over again. I will add a new 100 amp fuse and holder for the electrical wire. Before i add the US amp into the vehicle. I will install another amp and see if this having amp having this's same issues with US amp. I had this strange feeling on that day the amp went into protect mode because of the Heat wave? Not certain sure if that the case. Even though if the amp over heat if would shut off and would come back on as usual when it cool down, right? I don't understand why would the amp come on while it on protect mode? I check behind the amp where you can crystal see throught the amp inside, and it seem like nothing is blown or broken.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well you have a good idea on how to troubleshoot things, which sadly most people don't, but just to add another 2 cents in, yes heat can/will cause an amp to shut off, even if mounted properly. Personaly when i work at shops majority of the time i will mount the amp on the back of the seat, fins mounted vertically if applicable, always is fine, considering the amp is usually tipped forwards from a perfect 90 degrees angle up to a 80-70 degree angle. Anyways, i had a concept 2ch amp in my integra, fins vertical, very well vented, yet on a hot hot hot summer day, the amp would cut off, but this amp was hooked up for a few years, and i could take a 6 hour trip and play it non stop, would not cut off, only on those disgustingly hot, 100% humidity @ 98 degrees days here in mississippi, then i would experience that, sometimes it would have to cool for 30 minutes before it would come back on