Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Audio / Security / Video (https://honda-tech.com/forums/audio-security-video-27/)
-   -   Accidentally cut my antenna cable! Ooops! What to do? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/audio-security-video-27/accidentally-cut-my-antenna-cable-ooops-what-do-1510470/)

EJ1 wilcox 01-30-2006 01:24 PM

Accidentally cut my antenna cable! Ooops! What to do?

Yes, I searched around but couldn't find the answer to my question.

Yesterday I was installing a stereo into my car (I'm getting ready to sell it so I took the good one out.). It's a 95 Civic so the antenna cable is really short, there just isn't much slack.

Well, the stereo I was installing has a socket in the back of the unit for the antenna, instead of a short cable with a female end, like some have.

Anyways, so the antenna cable was just a bit too short for me to get it into the back of the stereo, so I gave it a little tug to see if I could free up an inch or two.... and, you guessed it, it broke off in my hand. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emsad.gif

The cable broke off about 12" up into the dash. What's the best way to go about fixing this?

What a pain in the arse!!

suspendedHatch 01-30-2006 05:15 PM

Re: Accidentally cut my antenna cable! Ooops! What to do? (EJ1 wilcox)

You thought you were going to save some money doing it yourself.

If it's broke somewhere that you can access it, you can solder it back together. The antenna has a single metal strand going down the center, and then metal shielding around it. You have to reconnect the middle strand, insulate it, then reconnect the outer strands and insulate the whole thing.

Or you can go to the junkyard and get the whole thing. It's not difficult to pull out of that particular Civic.

Next time reach in from the back and underneath.

wrx-killer-Sti-eater 01-30-2006 06:09 PM

wait I have a question. Did it break or come unplug. like on the tegs there is allways alittle extra 5 inch ext that plugs in. make sure your is the same

EJ1 wilcox 01-30-2006 07:00 PM

Re: (wrx-killer-Sti eater)

The cable actually broke apart. It must have been against a sharp edge or something so when I pulled on it, it made a clean cut.

Can I just buy an antenna and stick it up in the dash? I mean, I don't listen to the radio much anyways, so I don't need good reception.

I think I am going to look for a cheap antenna that I can just plug into the back and leave in the dash, I think that would be a lot easier.

sxng9 01-30-2006 08:10 PM

Re: (EJ1 wilcox)

this is rather simple. just grab another wire about the same size gauge that you broke about 1-2". strip the ends of the original wires and the new wires and solder the new wire you found between the original broke wires.

--original wire -----| |---- new wire ----| |----- original wire --

you just strip the ends and solder at where the verticle bars are at, then finally wrap it in electrical tape.

EGPrelude 01-30-2006 10:18 PM

here's some options for ya:

• you can get an external antenna (elec. amplified or some long ass antenna) and just plug it up to the radio and stick it under the dash; but you'll probably be hearing more static than anythign
- this includes getting a glass mounted antenna, where you plug it into the radio and mount the other end somewhere on the upper windshield of yoru car or something

• you could get an antenna extension cable. Most cars are designed with an antenna system where they are extended; the antenna is not one single long wire from teh outside antenna to the inside (this is on MOST cars not ALL).
This means, I can probably bet, that the antenna plugging into your radio is probably an antenna extension already. If you actually follow it all teh way, you shoudl be able to find where it connects to (it could possibly be on the lower pass. kick panel) and connect your new antenna extension to that, while connecting the other end to yoru radio (BEST option)

Spinnbait 02-01-2006 03:52 PM

Re: (EGPrelude)

Buy a new antenna cable or new antenna....they're not expensive.

fcm 02-01-2006 04:27 PM

Re: Accidentally cut my antenna cable! Ooops! What to do? (EJ1 wilcox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGPrelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">here's some options for ya:

• you can get an external antenna (elec. amplified or some long ass antenna) and just plug it up to the radio and stick it under the dash; but you'll probably be hearing more static than anythign
- this includes getting a glass mounted antenna, where you plug it into the radio and mount the other end somewhere on the upper windshield of yoru car or something

• you could get an antenna extension cable. Most cars are designed with an antenna system where they are extended; the antenna is not one single long wire from teh outside antenna to the inside (this is on MOST cars not ALL).
This means, I can probably bet, that the antenna plugging into your radio is probably an antenna extension already. If you actually follow it all teh way, you shoudl be able to find where it connects to (it could possibly be on the lower pass. kick panel) and connect your new antenna extension to that, while connecting the other end to yoru radio (BEST option)</TD></TR></TABLE> I have to agree, I would be willing to bet that he pulled the cable right out of the female end of an extension lead, [that's why it looks like a "clean" cut] but unless the "sharp edge" he is talking about is sharp as a razor, [have never seen that on a Honda] a "tug" on the cable is not going to cut through a plastic jacket a wire braid and a plastic insulation tube.

I have noticed that most Honda/Acuras that do not have the A pillar ant. do have short ant. ext. on them, [I have replaced more then a few] however I am not familiar with the setup in a 95 Civic.

But i do agree that finding the "broke" end would be the first step, and if it was only the cable pulled out of a female Motorola end, then $2 will get you an ant. extension lead, plug it in and your good to go, get one that is a little longer then the stock one. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emwink.gif 94

hondareplacer 10-09-2013 04:25 PM

Re: Accidentally cut my antenna cable! Ooops! What to do?

Hey guys I put myself in a bind and need help. My buddy also has a 95 Civic and we were replacing his radio and I messed up. In re-attaching the antenna cable to his radio the single metal wire that sticks out from the cable broke off. WHAT DO I DO? Can you email me at hbhewitt@gmail.com so i dont blow up this guys feed. Thanks