Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

92' Civic Hatch alarm install questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 92' Civic Hatch alarm install questions

I recently bought a 92' civic hatch with a built GSR and I'm looking to install an alarm on it so no one steals it. My buddy I bought it from gave me a Python 900 brain with all the wiring and siren but no remote. Im trying to decide if I should use this setup and buy a remote or would another alarm suite my needs better. I know I want to add a driver side door lock actuator, back up battery, preferably tilt sensor over shock, ecu relay to kill fuel, ignition and power to dizzy, and a mini cabin siren. I haven't messed with alarms in about 8 years so I'm not sure what's good any more so I have a few questions...

Is the python 900 a good security system? Is it compatible with a tilt sensor? Money is tight so I would prefer to use this brain but if it's not a good one I could probably come up with 200-300 for an alarm. I plan on doin a full stealth install myself. Any help will be appreciated thanks!

Last edited by WhiskeyD; 09-23-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 92' Civic Hatch alarm install questions

Any alarm is pretty much a good alarm, it just depends on the install. Invest in a stealth alarm install:

http://causeforalarm.thecarthing.com...vic/index.html

Also, check out this site for your area and read the alarm sticky:

http://www.carolinahondas.com/ganked/

There is a guy that does excellent alarm installs in your area I believe on that site by the name of VegasS10.

Also, don't forget the wonderful stickies at the top of this site!

Last edited by djkurious; 09-23-2010 at 06:49 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the links, I knew the area i lived in was sketch but after reading around carolinahondas damnn theres been thefts from all the apartment complex's around mine. I'm going to install it myself to save money and get the knowledge. I dont think I'll have many problems since there are so many walkthroughs on the internet. I'm definitely going to pull the dash and do a full stealh install. If the Python 900 is good I'll order the two way remote soon. According to the sellers on ebay, DEI 489V and 489P will work with my brain. The Viper one 489V is only $50 whereas the Python model is $100.

Last edited by WhiskeyD; 09-23-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good Choices!

I read Carolina Hondas like everyday! It's always good to be in the "know."
Old 09-29-2010, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the python 900 should be a decent alarm, assuming the install is done properly. As far as tilt vs. shock sensor, you can do both. the tilt sends signal through your instant trigger input, where as the shock sensor plugs into a 4 pin port on the brain. to kill main relay, ecu, and ignition, just make sure you have enough relays... use the orange "ground when armed" output from the 900 to one side of the coil of the relays. for doorlock actuators, I prefer to use 451m from dei, its just neater looking and faster than 2 seperate spdt relays. But yeah, you should have success with the 900, just make sure you have solid connections (solder, vs t-taps), and you shouldn't have many issues.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok great, I really appreciate the help! I ordered a Python 7341 remote, door actuators, tilt sensor, backup bat, and mini siren all by DEI. Still debating on the shock sensor. The owners manual for the alarm says the brain has built in relays for the door actuators so I didnt order the 451M. Hopefully thats correct. I haven't soldered in quite a few years but I'm definitely going to dust off the soldering gun and solder/shrinkwarp all connections. I'm still pretty confused about the relays to kill ecu and ignition but I'm going to continue reading around and hopefully I can get it working. This is my first alarm install so I know its going to take me a couple weekends to complete. Thanks again for the help.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the door lock relays are built in, you will have purple and purple/black wires tapped together and fused, this wire goes to 12v+ constant.
Blue/black-unlock wire on actuator
green/black-lock wire on actuator
white/black and brown/black goes to ground.

Like I said, you can do tilt and shock on the same alarm, nothing extra to do. The shock just plugs into a 4 pin port on the brain, and the tilt wires into your instant trigger input.

To interrupt ECU, and Main relay, I don't ever get asked to do this, but I would assume you would want to interrupt the ground wires of these two components. You would use your ground when armed wire from the python (orange wire), and put that on one side of your relay coil, and 12v+ ignition on the other side of the coil. Cut the ground going to the main relay and ECU in half. The relay's common terminal goes to one side of the ground. The normally closed terminal on your relay would go on the other side of the ground wire of the main relay/ ECU.

If anyone else interrupts these component as regular practice, and I am not stating my wiring correctly, please correct me!!! I've never been asked to do this! If there is a better way to interrupt, I would like to know for myself! (Like, if interrupting 12v+ input is better than interrupting the ground, should there be a diode across the coil, etc...).

WhiskeyD... I wish you best of luck with your install. Use your solder and heatshrink, and have fun. If you have questions, that's what we're here for. It can be very stressful if you've never done it before, don't let it overwhelm you!

Last edited by joeymc13; 10-03-2010 at 07:52 PM.