Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

2003 Civic Sport Hatch - Key Fob/Alarm Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Civic Sport Hatch - Key Fob/Alarm Issue

The car is a 2003 Civic Sport Hatchback 1.6. This one for reference.

The main issue that I'm having is that the key fobs and alarm on my car is acting up.

So, basically, bought the car off a mate of mine and the key fobs worked fine up until about 2-3 weeks before I bought it. He just thought the battery had gone dead and that was that. He had the battery replaced and then I took the car off him. He used to lock it with the key so that was no issue, but I decided that I'd replace the key fob battery and get it working. Neither of them worked with the car, so I tried programming them up (key turning 4 times while pressing the lock button in between method) and it seemed to work ok, the actuators go to signal that they're programmed. However, when I take the key out of the ignition they don't work at all, red light comes on, but nothing other than that. I said **** it, and gave up. Later on though, I unlocked the car with the key and the alarm went off, and has been going off everytime I unlock the car since (presumably because it locked with the fob and hasn't been unlocked with it). I brought the car to a garage, who came to the conclusion that the receiver for the fob was faulty (he thinks its behind the radio) and that I should get onto Honda about it. So I rang them, talked them through it and they said that they don't think its the receiver since its picking up the fob, and programming just fine, until you exit the programming mode that is. So, if anyone has any ideas or has faced anything like this before any help would be greatly appreciated. For now, I've pretty much resorted to not locking the car which isn't really ideal. I've been searching around and so far haven't found anything other than people having success just pairing them back up.

TL;DR : Tried to pair up key fob, seemed to be working however doesn't after exiting programming (and alarm goes off when unlocking door with key). Garage thinks it the receiver, Honda says it probably isn't since it seems to be programming. Any help?