Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

2001 CR-V suspected Immobillizer problem

Old 06-07-2017, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 CR-V suspected Immobillizer problem

Hello All,

Can anyone help me debug a CR-V immobilizer?

A few weeks ago, my wife purchased a Euro-spec, 2001 CR-V 2-litre 4WD and it ran fine for a couple of weeks, then one morning it refused to start. It cranked fine but I couldn't hear the fuel pump prime or run. Also there was no spark (I pulled a plug out, put it back in the plug lead, rested the plug on an earth and cranked the engine). After a lot of reading and head-scratching, I now realize the green key light on the dash should be lighting up, but it isn't - not at all. So I suspect an immobilizer problem. Ironic - what should be there to stop anyone stealing the car, is actually preventing the legitimate owner from driving it and she's really unhappy about that :0(

In the interests of ruling out other possible causes (all of which I think are moot if the immobilizer isn't working?)

- I've checked and tested the fuse for the PGM-FI relay under the hood/bonnet - it's fine
- There's battery voltage at the BATT terminal on the PGM-FI relay connector (but not on any of the other terminals when the ignition switch is on - IGN-II)
- I've removed, disassembled and inspected the PGM-FI relay - no dry joints
- I've tested the PGM-FI electrically and it's good: both relays click over reliably, good continuity when they do
- I've checked and tested the fuel pump fuse under the dash - it's fine
- I've removed, disassembled and inspected the ignition switch - it was dirty but seemed sound after a good clean.
- I've recharged the battery and it seemed fine but just to be sure I paralleled in a brand new 90Ah/850A battery with thick jump leads for my testing
- I've fitted new plugs, leads, distributor cap, rotor and a coil. I've got a new ignition control module on order

I'd prefer to have a working immobilizer on the car (but not at any cost, as its an older car). However, I haven't been able to find any information to debug the circuit/components with - its understandable that this isn't widely available I suppose). It's a Delco immobilizer, with two parts on the steering lock with green connectors - an exciter and a receiver (?) and a matching daughter board on the ECU. Here are some pictures:

Key receiver Daughter board on ECU Ignition switch with feed to exciter/receiver

Thanks for reading this far, hope you might be able to help,

Simon

Last edited by simon.birkby; 06-07-2017 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Add pictures
Old 06-08-2017, 03:23 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts
Default Re: 2001 CR-V suspected Immobillizer problem

do you have a flashing GREEN key in the gauge cluster? If it flashes 3 times but wont let you crank, it's the key ring transmitter. Not 100% sure if it's the same as an Integra but that is the culprit. In my old '00 Integra, that key ring went bad and I replaced it with one from a '02 Acura TL.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nope, no green key light at all ..
Old 06-12-2017, 03:27 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

if there's no flashing green light on the cluster, more than likely it's the chip within the key. Honda dealership should be able to get you squared away. May be pricey though.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE and question at the end

(happy to PM my ID and ownership docs to anyone concerned that I've stolen this car)

I bought an immo bypass chip on eBay (from China) and soldered it in, in place of the factory immo chip but no joy. Either due to some other problem, or my poor soldering/handling skills.

I'm now trying to look for a bundled set of key, barrel, receiver and ECU but they seem thin on the ground right now, where I am. Also I have a concern that I might still have the expense of getting it all re-coded at a Honda dealer if the new set isn't all from the same, working vehicle. I'm in Spain, where towing isn't legal, so I'd have the cost of a car transporter and my nearest Honda dealer is in Granada - an hour away by road ...

My current ECU is a 37820-PHK-G21, is there another ECU I could look for that doesn't have the immoblizer circuit but will run the motor okay?