Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Ebay: How so cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay: How so cheap?

I am wondering how people sell Kappa Perfect subs that are $350 for $110. are they fakes? are they defects? They say they are brand new.

I bought all my alpine type-r stuff off of ebay a year or so ago(component speakers, rear coaxials and an alpine amp) and it all works/sounds great, im just wondering how they can sell their stuff like that for SO cheap(way cheaper than the maker lists them at).

any info would be helpful.

PS - no im not trying to start a business on ebay. im just wondering because it seem unreal that they can sell thei stuff for half off, many times more than half off the origional price, while at the same time being brand new.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well when buying from a retail store, you're buying the price that they mark it up to be so they can make some money out of the deal. Another thing is that you're paying for the warrenty they provide.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:29 AM

Default Re: (aeon)

dang, thats alot to markup. I can get $359 infinity perfect subs for $110 on ebay:-(. I got my stuff over ebay becaise I see it this way: Unles im a dumbass and hook it up all wrong(im mecp certified so i dont think thats gonna happen) without any warranty will be cheaper. iv never had anything wrong with my soundsystem stuff.
This is why I bought my alpine speakers over ebay:
The reg price was 240 or so per pair in the stores.
I got mine for $118 on ebay brand new
My speakers rarely ever(none has yet in the past) stopped working
If they did stop working, i could just buy another pair for $118 whcih i would take the chance because it woudl add up to the same price as if i bought new ones. thats why I took the chance of ebay and its worked out well so far
Old 12-26-2005, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (silentblackhat)

I picked up an Infinity Perfect 12 for $179 the other day at Fry's. So no, they don't typically go for $350 at a retail establishment. Now this may not be $110. Bu remember that when buying from ebay, you must take into account shipping. And for something like a 12 inch sub, this can easily push the price up another $30-$40, further narrowing the gap. Add to this the fact that the item is not warrantied and the deal certainly looks less good.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (StorminMatt)

I work in a retail stereo shop so I know most product costs and typically, you'll see flooded/saturated products on Ebay for pennies over cost.

A lot of Ebay E-tailers don't have much overhead. They don't have a lot employees, which can cost a typical small mom and pop retailer over $10,000/month. They don't have a store front which can cost $2,500-$10,000/month on rent. They don't have consumable inventory like butt connectors, electrical tape, screws, connectors, cables, etc. etc. which can be in excess of $3,000/month. That's just a general expense evaluation. There's myriads of small detailed expenses and fees that a storefront business requires to run that business.

The Ebay E-tailer can sell products out of his garage or just a small rented building off in a corner somewhere, nowhere near a major street because he doesn't need to attract walk-in foot traffic customers. His soul advertisement is by prices and buyer feedback. That's why you'll see that a typical Powerseller with tons of positive feedback will getaway with selling products for a bit more than the newer sellers.

Much like based on that method of product price adjustment, a store front retailer can typically get a little more than an Ebay Powerseller because of the reliabiliy and security they offer. Ofcourse, the fine line of price vs. security ratio is what you as a consumer needs to determine before you make the decision of where to buy.

And also, because a Ebay retailer usually received a positive feedback after the transaction is completed, their after service ie. warranty, exchange, or return, if they exist at all, is a bit slower or just plain terrible to deal with. They usually involve in the buyer to pay for shipping back and forth as well as packaging. Also, if the product was installed at a stereo shop, the shop usually charges extra or even double for the work because of warranty issues with the Ebay product.

And now, I've been seeing a lot of shops not installing or charging a lot more for products bought outside of their stores which is having a bigger affect of Ebay purchases. Not quite a big issue yet but getting bigger.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Re: (ScareyH22A)

alright thanks for the reply. i can install my own stuff so i wont have to have a shop do it all. I build my own fiberglass boxes anda ll that type of stuff so im pretty proficient at car audio installs.