Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

95 Civic Hatch Sunroof Switch Wiring

Old 10-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 95 Civic Hatch Sunroof Switch Wiring

Hey guys i was wondering if you could help me CORRECTLY wire the sunroof switch on a non-sunroof 95 hatchback.

the previous owner installed a sunroof, and did it pretty well, installed all drains. checked to see if it leaks and it didnt, we will see later i guess right?

anyways, his electrical skills didnt quite match his mechanical, here's his work...

so can anyone help me identify what wires go where so i can solder and heat shrink them?

also, the 2 disconnected clips by the sunroof, what are those for?

thanks
Attached Images        
Old 10-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 95 Civic Hatch Sunroof Switch Wiring

Holy s**t... Im gonna have to stay away from this one, I'd rather see the car in person than try to help over the laptop. Good luck though... Is the back of that switch melted bc it gets hot, or is it melted from when the guys soldered on to it?
Old 10-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i HOPE its melted from the crappy soldering....

you think you can at least take a shot at it? ANY suggestions would put me in a better spot than i am now...

can someone take their switch out and take a quick picture of it? thats all i need-
Old 10-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I could try, but I get nervous looking at this stuff when I have no idea how the previous owner did his wiring. I wouldn't wanna say, yeah, that wire should go to that, and have you burn up your car, lol! But, you're def on the right track looking for a pic of the back of that switch. We could get a pic, then a schematic of the wiring from the back of the switch and figure out what goes to what from there (unless somebody has a wire schematic that already says the pin location AND wire function). As far as the two empty connectors, what color are the wires? we can find a diagram for that fairly easily. If I had to guess, they could possibly be for a factory dome light...
Old 10-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the dome light wires-
1 is like a faded green (teal-ish i could say) with a red stripe
other wire is an offwhite with a very thing red stripe on it
Old 10-03-2010, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I found green with white and white with blue as dome light in the hatch, so, Im not 100% positive on those two empty connectors.

If you can find s/o with a pic of their moonroof switch, here is the wire info, I don't know the pin locations on the back of the switch:

Yellow - goes to the moonroof open relay
Black - is ground
Blue - is for tilt
Yellow/red - goes to the moonroof close relay

Ill keep looking for your lt grn/red and white/red wires, Ill let you know if I find out 100% what they are.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actually, I just found pin location, if the switch is facing you, (you are sitting in the driver's seat, looking at the front of the switch) from left to right,

#1 is yellow (Open)
#2 is blue (tilt)
#3 is yellow/red (Close)
#4 is black (ground)

Please don't hold me to this info 100%, I don't like giving info out without knowing what's going on with the current situation. The switch could look stock, but could be aftermarket in actuallity, and the pins could be different! Goodluck!
Old 10-04-2010, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well regardless thank you VERY much for even taking your time to help me with it, even if we solve it or not. I'm at work right now but I'll give it a go as soon as I'm off and keep you posted, thanks a bunch again
Old 10-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn.... Just get a new harness.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright bro here's the schematics with the pin layout. I guess we start at the battery?

First things first I have to rip out the wiring he did for the relays......it's worse than the wiring for te switch. I'll post pics tomorrow-

You up for a sunroof wiring project via Internet pictures along with me? Haha- your help would be great
Attached Images   
Old 10-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL! No man, I'm not really up for an over the internet project with this... I'll help the best I can, but at a certain point, I really need to stay out of it, for fear of damage to your car. I can tell you though, I would get the model number off of that sunroof, download the install guide, and start from there. Create your own fused circuit, straight off your battery, use necessary relays, and go from that point... As you can tell, seeing wiring like that, and not being there in person, kinda freaks me out
Old 10-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

K good news... I ripped all the extra wires this guy put in, wasn't too hard considering he would just expose a wire, and tangle his new wire around the other and leave it like that.... I also took out what looked like a previous alarm, or maybe it was a factory one, regardless it didn't work and most of his wires spliced into those, so I removed it all. Pics soon. The good thing is I can start completely fresh to wire the sunroof. So if you can help along the way that'd be awesome!

I'm also going to convert manual locks and windows to power, so I guess this will be my running log hah-

Last edited by Destructive-; 10-06-2010 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Fixed spelling