Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

SHG has another - JDM DC2R- Project/Restoration/Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: SHG has another - JDM DC2R- Project/Restoration/Build

Originally Posted by Danger
Any progress? Dont have to post pics, just curious.
Yes actually, the car is next up for the frame machine at the bodyshop so it will be full speed ahead very soon. I havent really purchased anything new for it though. I have been spending some time on the Fit though. Rear disc brake conversion coming soon lol. Other than that ive just been working on side work and working together with Evan (shg_easyE) on some development stuff for SHG products coming up.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK, Shame on me for not taking pictures sooner but life is crazy. I finally got an opportunity to take a few pictures of the Mugen Showa 5-way adjustable dampers/low-downs. Got these from Steve at H-motors and they are pretty clean. I am interested to see how they will do against an R-comp tire considering the spring rates aren't much different from stock. The rear rate is actually stock but now its a linear rate instead of a dual rate spring like factory. Some fortune auto 510s are definitely coming in the near future, but I wanted something sporty and slightly lower than stock for the cars maiden voyage. Keep in mind i have NEVER driven the car and I want to enjoy it stock first. (almost )

A little scratched up but really in great shape considering the age.

I forgot to mention the 24mm ASR sway replacing the factory 96spec 22mm. I actually had this as a leftover from my DB1, and since ASR was smart enough to design all of their kits around the same bar (DC2!!) I was able to just transfer it over. The 24mm bar is an absolute MUST have in my opinion It really changes the attitude of the car and especially helps out with rotation when you have such low rates in the rear. I have always loved the feel of a slightly under sprung car with the ASR bar.

Also from the DB1 is my 98spec ITR SRS wheel, I got this from a good friend a few years ago for a great deal and have really liked it since.

The last little photo update is for the cooling system. I purchased these coolant housings while on vacation with my girlfriend Texas. We stayed on South Padre Island for a week and then headed up to San Antonio to visit her family and attend her little brothers wedding. While in San Antonio i was having the ITCH really bad and started looking around for local car enthusiast and shops and happened across these sickbird products on Ebay. I contact the seller and said i was in San Antonio and could pick them up. She actually met my girlfriend and I at her friend Justin's shop No Corners Cut Fabrication and as soon as I walked in they were both super friendly and awesome. We did the deal and she gave me a cash discount, then Justin and I got to talking fabrication and before you know it we had welding helmets on and were sharing tips and secrets and laughing and having a great time. So the whole sales experience was great and we made a couple great new friends in san antonio and justin and i have been sending fabrication pictures back and forth since. Its crazy, no matter how many years I play with cars it always amazes me how many nice people I meet and just instantly hit it off with because of our mutual love for cars. Long story short +1 Weld/Car Bro!

So anyhow I am going to be repurposing the the practically new mishimoto radiator from the DB1 into the DC2 and convert it to -16AN hoses utilizing these gorgeous SickBird Housings. Just look at these things! Incredible quality for the price.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need MOAR updates!!
Old 02-10-2015, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SHG_EasyE
Need MOAR updates!!
Lmao. THAT guy hahaha
Old 02-10-2015, 08:31 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I love custom machining things. I'm assuming at least a 4-axis machine to make that coolant neck. Either that or a 3-axis and an extra setup.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I cant remember exactly what the equiemt used was, the girl that brought the parts was the machinists wife. It looks to me the the insides are done first and then setup on the flange surface, that being said it could be just a basic 3 axis.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:27 PM
Sanji

Originally Posted by SHG_Seamus
I cant remember exactly what the equiemt used was, the girl that brought the parts was the machinists wife. It looks to me the the insides are done first and then setup on the flange surface, that being said it could be just a basic 3 axis.
Yeah, you can do that with a basic 3-axis. It looks like they just used a 1/4" bull nose cutter, as well (seeing as the bottom of that pocket has a flat). He could have chose a slightly better cutter path or narrower stepovers to clean up the cutter marks, but I don't think it's entirely necessary given the intended application.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly i think chose the finish on purpose. I think the tooling marks look good amd give the part a cool feel. gives it a non "production" feel to it.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:31 PM
Sanji

Honestly i think chose the finish on purpose. I think the tooling marks look good amd give the part a cool feel. gives it a non "production" feel to it.
There's also a significant time-savings when thinking of machine time.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey everyone, Ive been waiting patiently for the body shop to make some progress as usual but in the meantime I figured I could share a few snaps. I have been staring at these poor recaros hidden in their cat hair proof protection bubbles out in a closed off area far away from claws and scratching and I always catch a sad glimpse of them as I walk to the office and just wish I could install them already. Anyhow I uncovered them and sat down for a few minutes and snapped a couple shots.

New TypeR badging all around for after her fresh coat of NH0, Thanks Colin at AutoFairHonda for the hook-up as always! The AFH crew always takes care of their buds at SHG

I decided to do a rear disc conversion on the GD3 as well as some extended studs and spacers for the spring. Scarebird always comes through with nice conversion brackets I've used them a few times in the past with great success! I also recently received some other exterior goodies that I will share soon

I was barely able to catch one picture of the black feline giants while they were all chillin together, a rare sight. The immediately dispersed after they realized I was posting this picture on the internet

Thanks for stopping by
Old 03-14-2015, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lovely. can't wait to see the finished product
Old 03-15-2015, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ughh those seatssssss!
Old 03-16-2015, 07:00 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Crazy cat lady starter pack.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Those seats are the freshness
Old 03-16-2015, 07:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

That couch on the other hand...
Old 03-17-2015, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Brice.Hayden
That couch on the other hand...
lol, thats the cat couch. They are in charge of maintenance on their couch but they never do ****. Freeloaders
Old 03-17-2015, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice collection of parts and lol at the black cat gang
Old 03-26-2015, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Doots, so here is a part 1 of my suspension resto/cleanup. Ive decided against powder coat and to go with light rust removal and etch priming/ spray painting. Basically for a few reasons. 1: I AM NOT A BALLER, Its a huge cost to dismantle, sandblast, powder coat, replace soft parts, balljoints, wheel bearings, and bushings that were destroyed in the process. 2: This isn't going to be some so-cal fake track car show car build, I intend to drive this thing hard and it doesn't make sense to waste the time and money on something thats just going to get blasted with track debris. 3. half of these components will just get replaced later on down the road for hard rubber or weather-sealed spherical parts. 4. TIME, I need to be ready to make the car a roller from the body shop at any point if they say "hey come get it".

Now with that being said here is the beginning of my all billet titanium btcc style suspension upgrade.

Thanks Steve at HMO for hooking me up with a pretty clean base to start with.

98 Spec ABS 5 lug front and rear in the condition I received them.

I started to Dismantle them while on lunch at work

LCAs lightly dusted with glass bead to get rid of any rust on the bushing casings and the edges

After a couple coats of self-etching primer

**A WILD DINGUS APPEARS**

Painted with gloss black engine enamel, thanks to SHG_EasyE for remembering to bring it into work this morning

The knuckles all stripped down, looking pretty barnacle bill.

Cleaned with a high speed wire brush awaiting self etching primer

Layed down a few dusty coats of self etching primer (highly recommended on bare mild steel to help prevent corrosion for a lonnng time)

Picked up a couple sets of these steel extended lug nuts for the Type R and the Fit. I like steel because i dislike using lubricants on the studs and without a lubricant the bimetallic corrosion makes them hard to get on and off and creates a white oxide dust that makes the threads sticky. " BUT THEY ARE HEAVIER!?!?!" lol
Old 03-26-2015, 07:50 PM
Sanji

2WD '08-'10 F-450 lurking behind the wild Dingus!
Old 03-26-2015, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you are correct lol. 2008 2wd 6.4. Truck is my favorite towing rig. deleted DPF and a flash. drives like a car with 27,000 lbs behind it. I pull the 53 footer all the time with that truck and I LOVE IT. Rides like a damn hay wagon without at least 5000lbs on it.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:19 PM
Sanji

you are correct lol. 2008 2wd 6.4. Truck is my favorite towing rig. deleted DPF and a flash. drives like a car with 27,000 lbs behind it. I pull the 53 footer all the time with that truck and I LOVE IT. Rides like a damn hay wagon without at least 5000lbs on it.
Trust me, I know.

My daily is a 2000 F-350 dually on 19.5's. She's great with a trailer and tons of stuff in the bed, but without anything... it's like the axle is welded to the frame.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

we got same lugs lol
Old 03-29-2015, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can't wait to see the knuckles with some color!!
Old 03-29-2015, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Friday at work was busy as always. One of the days projects was replacing a few sphericals in the front lower control arms of one of our customer cars. Its the rotary powered miata that runs STL. My favorite customer and good personal friend Jon owns/pilots this car and Its been winning pretty much every event it shows up to. Its been a fun project thus far and I've had the pleasure of being married to it ever since I did the conversion last year

These arms use COM12 spherical bearings that ride in a 2 piece carrier housing thats lightly pressed in and tack welded into place.

Evan checked the alignment on an MR-S he did a coilover install on about 6 months ago (gotchya! )

So after work Evan and I got to work on projects like we usually do. I sprayed the hub face and studs dark graphite metallic.

I let that dry for about an hour and got to taping the hub face off so I could begin to shoot the black.

Put down a few coats of gloss black engine enamel, laid down a nice slow coat at the end....no runs!

I also prepped and sprayed the second knuckle with self-etching primer and right before I left for the night I put down the graphite metallic on the second hub face.

Starred at this poor thing while i was waiting between coats. I hate seeing this car just sitting here every single day.

Cleaned up a few things and headed home for a relaxing weekend, another week of crazy is complete.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Finished up the knuckles! Also scrubbed and cleaned the front UCAs.The brake setup is still up in the air, I'm 50/50 between Spoon calipers in the front and keep it simple or go custom adapted 4 piston sumitomo caliper. I like the Spoon calipers because they are bolt-on and easy, they use factory pad, and they look great, buuuut i hate that they don't have dust shields and are played out. Still to be decided.

Here is a few pictures of a steering wheel extender and carbon cover I made for the Fit to get the steering wheel better in my reach after modifying the seats rails to move the seat back. length = 4"

Quick Reply: SHG has another - JDM DC2R- Project/Restoration/Build