Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

SHG is back! Easy's EP3 goes under the knife...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: SHG is back! Easy's EP3 goes under the knife...

Originally Posted by MissShift
Lovin the last picture

My BC inverted coils just came in, I want to make sure I get everything done properly.

With some research I have found that when lowering with our suspension, Tierod upgrades are present.

This is one of the threads I found

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...entre-adjuster

After some researching im still not 100% clear how and what needs to be done. I know for certain that the stock Tierod ends I am currently running on stock suspension are getting loose and need to be replaced. As you know already I also own the exact same rims/tire setup as yourself.

The car will be tracked this season so im questioning a few things (keeping in mind im running F8K R10K)

How much of a drop (So I don't rub/ ideal for track)
How much camber (Im thinking F-2 R-1?)
Tie rod/end upgrade (Inverted/Aftermarket)
Roll Center Adjusters?
You definitely do not want to change the angle of your tie rods with inverted ends. This makes way too large of a correction and makes bumpsteer worse than if you didnt do anything at all. The Buddy Club dampers already have a lowered tie rod pickup of 1.75" and will be enough to compensate for the lowering of the car.

As far as the tie rods themselves go, you may need to trim about 1/4" off the end of the tie rod, as well as the tie rod end. This is because the tie rods tend to bottom out before you can achieve 0 toe leaving you with toe in from lack of adjustment. I had that issue before I installed my DC5R lca's, but upon install they pushed the knuckle and strut out far enough that i can now run unmodified oem parts.

I would reccomend RCA's if youre lowering more than 1". They are effective in bringing the LCAs back to the proper part of their sweep and will reduce bump steer on a Buddy Club damper setup, as well as prevent excess loading of the front struts in that the control arm can absorb load laterally instead of transferring the excess load into the strut when it is past horizontal.

As far as setup camber anywhere from -2 to -3.5 up front depending on your personal preference. More camber = more grip and sharper turn in, but also warrants tire wear and tracking on uneven roads. I run -3.5 and am very happy with the performance vs. daily driven drawbacks. For the rear look for -1 to -2 degrees. You want to stay away from 2.5* or more in the rear as it will create too much grip and may make the rear end unstable over high speed dips and uneven track surfaces when cornering due to the agressive camber curve of the rear suspsension. You may see up to 3.5* under compression on a 2.5* static setting. I ran 0 toe all the way around last season, but Ive gone to 1/64" out on each wheel front, and 1/32" out on each wheel rear for this season. I have only done daily driving so far this year though so no feedback on that quite yet.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SHG_EasyE
You definitely do not want to change the angle of your tie rods with inverted ends. This makes way too large of a correction and makes bumpsteer worse than if you didnt do anything at all. The Buddy Club dampers already have a lowered tie rod pickup of 1.75" and will be enough to compensate for the lowering of the car.

As far as the tie rods themselves go, you may need to trim about 1/4" off the end of the tie rod, as well as the tie rod end. This is because the tie rods tend to bottom out before you can achieve 0 toe leaving you with toe in from lack of adjustment. I had that issue before I installed my DC5R lca's, but upon install they pushed the knuckle and strut out far enough that i can now run unmodified oem parts.

I would reccomend RCA's if youre lowering more than 1". They are effective in bringing the LCAs back to the proper part of their sweep and will reduce bump steer on a Buddy Club damper setup, as well as prevent excess loading of the front struts in that the control arm can absorb load laterally instead of transferring the excess load into the strut when it is past horizontal.

As far as setup camber anywhere from -2 to -3.5 up front depending on your personal preference. More camber = more grip and sharper turn in, but also warrants tire wear and tracking on uneven roads. I run -3.5 and am very happy with the performance vs. daily driven drawbacks. For the rear look for -1 to -2 degrees. You want to stay away from 2.5* or more in the rear as it will create too much grip and may make the rear end unstable over high speed dips and uneven track surfaces when cornering due to the agressive camber curve of the rear suspsension. You may see up to 3.5* under compression on a 2.5* static setting. I ran 0 toe all the way around last season, but Ive gone to 1/64" out on each wheel front, and 1/32" out on each wheel rear for this season. I have only done daily driving so far this year though so no feedback on that quite yet.
By BC inverted I meant actual BCracing inverted coils, not Buddy Club Same applies for the Tierod pick up of 1.75"? As well as trimming 1/4"?
Old 04-25-2012, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm glad you mentioned that the dc5r control arms corrected your toe problems. I was wondering if I was going to have to modify my tie rods or not. Luckily I just ordered a set of dc5r lcas. Even at -3.5* camber you have no problems adjusting toe?

Last edited by chairwitharmrests; 04-25-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow when is the final drive going in ? this increases torque correct ?
Old 04-26-2012, 03:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MissShift
By BC inverted I meant actual BCracing inverted coils, not Buddy Club Same applies for the Tierod pick up of 1.75"? As well as trimming 1/4"?
I honestly couldnt say. Try taking a look at an picture of the BC coils youre getting compared to the stock strut. Look at the gap between the tie rod arm and the top of the knuckle mounting flange.

Originally Posted by chairwitharmrests
I'm glad you mentioned that the dc5r control arms corrected your toe problems. I was wondering if I was going to have to modify my tie rods or not. Luckily I just ordered a set of dc5r lcas. Even at -3.5* camber you have no problems adjusting toe?
Nope, Ive got about 1/4" of adjustment room on each side too Part of that is also because I have my camber plates almost full positive, and have all my camber dialed in with a cam bolt. But even so i think you will be ok with getting 0 toe or a bit of toe out.

Originally Posted by MidasGuy
wow when is the final drive going in ? this increases torque correct ?
Not for a bit, still collecting parts for my 6spd trans. I still need an LSD, shifter, Hybrid racing bushings, and new bearings/seals. Also still waiting on all the harware and shift levers I sent out for plating which is starting to look like its lost for good -___-

It increases the tourque output of any given gear, but the actual torque output per ratio is still the same. Its just that 3rd gear will be geared closer to a 2nd gear ratio etc.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

o i c dam this is going to be another track animal .
Old 04-29-2012, 04:30 PM
Trial User

Really impressive work mate. Have been following this thread for a while and your attention to detail is commendable.

Just a question regarding POR 15 on the wheel wells. What prepartation steps did you take? About to start something similar on my build and aren't to sure how far back I need to strip the existing coating if at all?

Thanks,
Old 04-30-2012, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow I wasn't aware of the 5.46 final drive. What is the stock final drive on the various K20 equipped cars? Response should be amazing once you have all the parts ready to go. You definitely need to do a before and after run through your local winding road and get them both on video sir.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by circa86
Wow I wasn't aware of the 5.46 final drive. What is the stock final drive on the various K20 equipped cars? Response should be amazing once you have all the parts ready to go. You definitely need to do a before and after run through your local winding road and get them both on video sir.
Ep3/DC5r - 4.7
Fd2r - 5.0
02-04 Usdm rsx-s - 4.3
Old 04-30-2012, 03:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Sevik
Really impressive work mate. Have been following this thread for a while and your attention to detail is commendable.

Just a question regarding POR 15 on the wheel wells. What prepartation steps did you take? About to start something similar on my build and aren't to sure how far back I need to strip the existing coating if at all?

Thanks,
Thanks man... to apply the POR you need to strip off any black soft tar like undercoat which is usually aftermarket spray on stuff. Luckily my car didnt have any of that but the POR wont stick to it. Any oem undercoat that is painted over you can leave as is. Scrub the area with soap and water and a stiff brush, dry, and apply. You will need 3 or 4 coats to get good coverage.

Originally Posted by circa86
Ill definitely have before and after videos for comparison, whether they are just acceleration vids or winding road vids not sure. There arent any good roads here in Mass unlike New York where I used to live.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Trial User

Thanks man... to apply the POR you need to strip off any black soft tar like undercoat which is usually aftermarket spray on stuff. Luckily my car didnt have any of that but the POR wont stick to it. Any oem undercoat that is painted over you can leave as is. Scrub the area with soap and water and a stiff brush, dry, and apply. You will need 3 or 4 coats to get good coverage.
Awesome, thanks for that.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SHG_Mike
Ep3/DC5r - 4.7
Fd2r - 5.0
02-04 Usdm rsx-s - 4.3
Awesome thanks for the info! Same goes for you Evan.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Take it to the nearest drag strip. Simple and safe. Also, the results are objective.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just lurking bored at work but man this thing really looks good,idk why it looks so much better to man than any other EP. lol But anyhow that final drive looks intense, im interested to hear your thoughts on it after its installed.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mattrt09
Just lurking bored at work but man this thing really looks good,idk why it looks so much better to man than any other EP. lol But anyhow that final drive looks intense, im interested to hear your thoughts on it after its installed.
Thanks man, I agree. Something about this car is special, it just has a presence, especially in person

Im hoping I can get my tans hardware back still in the process of figuring out where it is and whats going on... middle man ftl
Old 05-09-2012, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

favorite ep3! super EPIC. keep it up man. Lovin your Dc5 too.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man, I agree. Something about this car is special, it just has a presence, especially in person

Im hoping I can get my tans hardware back still in the process of figuring out where it is and whats going on... middle man ftl
well it still carries through the internet, makes me want one until i see them in person and i realize that it's just yours thats nice.

What happened to it? was there some miscommunication?
Old 05-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vinmotors
favorite ep3! super EPIC. keep it up man. Lovin your Dc5 too.
Thanks

well it still carries through the internet, makes me want one until i see them in person and i realize that it's just yours thats nice.

What happened to it? was there some miscommunication?
Well we were getting hardware plating done at my job through another team down in florida. They would take the parts then bring them to their plater. The last batch we sent was 2 full Miata hardware sets and my transmission/steering hardware. That was 4 months ago and weve heard everything from "its done but we havent gotten it from the plater" to "I shipped it 2 weeks ago you should have had it" to another guy saying they hadnt even picked it up yet let alone ship it. And the owner of the team down there is a total douche and is impossible to get a hold of.

They have at least 1k worth of parts between mine and Flatout.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks

Well we were getting hardware plating done at my job through another team down in florida. They would take the parts then bring them to their plater. The last batch we sent was 2 full Miata hardware sets and my transmission/steering hardware. That was 4 months ago and weve heard everything from "its done but we havent gotten it from the plater" to "I shipped it 2 weeks ago you should have had it" to another guy saying they hadnt even picked it up yet let alone ship it. And the owner of the team down there is a total douche and is impossible to get a hold of.

They have at least 1k worth of parts between mine and Flatout.

Wow that's some bitch made stuff going on, Seems to me like they are slacking and don"t want to admit to it. Not a good look for them especially from a business standpoint, i hate when companies seem to give up or not care anymore when they know they are most likely losing a client.
Best of luck with it man, do you guys have any contacts in the area that could go over and put in some face time?
Old 05-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow that's some bitch made stuff going on, Seems to me like they are slacking and don"t want to admit to it. Not a good look for them especially from a business standpoint, i hate when companies seem to give up or not care anymore when they know they are most likely losing a client.
Best of luck with it man, do you guys have any contacts in the area that could go over and put in some face time?
Unfortunately no, we are at the track together from time to time but mostly in the winter when we go down south to race. Hoping its just them being lazy and that the stuff isnt actually lost. Cause then Im out $400 give or take since ill have to buy another busted 6 speed for parts
Old 05-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

On the up side we now have a local plating hook up thats about 30 min away. Just got all the DC5 hardware back from them
Old 05-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

On the up side we now have a local plating hook up thats about 30 min away. Just got all the DC5 hardware back from them
thats good news there! Ill be looking for the update in the thread!
Old 05-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Way to not tell a brotha damn...
Old 05-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats good news there! Ill be looking for the update in the thread!
Tonight!

Originally Posted by SHG_Mike
Way to not tell a brotha damn...
Thought I told you about the new connect?? Well as soon as you get the fit for daily do up the Mugen
Old 05-09-2012, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tonight!

Thought I told you about the new connect?? Well as soon as you get the fit for daily do up the Mugen
Ya damn right!

Quick Reply: SHG is back! Easy's EP3 goes under the knife...