Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

Scottp11's RHD Turbo DC4 Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts
Default Re: Scottp11's RHD Turbo DC4 Build

Fantastic progress on this build man, even despite the hang ups. I think the finished product will be something you can be extremely proud of.

How has that turbo B16 been treating you back when you had it in your hatch? Was it reliable/daily driven?

Asking because I can't decide for the life of me which route to go with my build on a powerplant. Debating between a Laskey built turbo B18 with a similar kit as to what you have, or doing a K20 swap either N/A or Kraftwerks supercharged. The car will be daily driven with the occasional road race/weekend sprint, but I'd still like it to be mostly reliable.

Anyway, AMAZING progress on this man. Keep it up!
Old 10-14-2016, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SIR-G Amp
I feel you. In that case I would say the GSR route will work considering the USDM throttle cable for that wraps over top. The GSR throttle body with bracket should make for a nice short cable to be used.

-Amp
I know I've seen a silver civic on NWP (and possibly on here) that used one, it was unbelievably clean. I just have to figure out how he did it.

Originally Posted by Chance EG
Fantastic progress on this build man, even despite the hang ups. I think the finished product will be something you can be extremely proud of.

How has that turbo B16 been treating you back when you had it in your hatch? Was it reliable/daily driven?

Asking because I can't decide for the life of me which route to go with my build on a powerplant. Debating between a Laskey built turbo B18 with a similar kit as to what you have, or doing a K20 swap either N/A or Kraftwerks supercharged. The car will be daily driven with the occasional road race/weekend sprint, but I'd still like it to be mostly reliable.

Anyway, AMAZING progress on this man. Keep it up!
Thank you for the kind words!

As for the turbo B16, it's was great while it was in my hatch. I never had any problems with it, and I had the Hondata S100 at the time. The only thing I remember happening was the couplers blowing off my intercooler piping occasionally. In your case, N/A will almost always be more reliable than boosted applications. If that is your #1 priority, I would stay N/A. But... In my opinion, N/A is the expensive way to go slow... Just my opinion though.

Thanks again for the compliments! I just got a shipping notice that my CMC will be here today, so hopefully I'll be driving the car tonight!
Old 10-17-2016, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I worked on the Integra most of the weekend, in which I replaced the clutch master cylinder and the lines going to the slave cylinder. I actually drove the car around the neighborhood a little bit too. I still have to finish the exhaust, which is currently just a down-pipe, so it's loud as hell. I also still have to get it tuned properly, but as of now, it starts up, shifts and drives. There are still little things to do here and there, but it's getting very close!

Here is a pic of the engine bay with that hideous throttle cable I hate so much:

And here is the bay I was talking about earlier with the much cleaner GSR throttle cable and bracket:

I almost ordered the GSR bracket and throttle cable yesterday, but then started thinking about if I need to order a GSR throttle body as well, since the throttle wheel is rotated, compared to mine... I was also thinking about taking my current throttle cable to a bicycle shop and having them modify it to fit the way I want. I'll figure it out, but at least everything works now!
Old 10-17-2016, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested to see what you find out. My GSR engine comes Thursday and I start the conversion Friday. I'm curious now if I can just use my oem GS cable and not have to use the long one either...

-Amp
Old 10-17-2016, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

That picture is from some years ago and the details of the build have gotten fuzzy.

I believe that was still the stock B16 throttle body with a GSR or even ITR throttle wheel. Here is a photobomb of the throttle wheel when degreeeing the cams in the B18C if you want to compare this wheel against yours. If everything looks the same, all you need is the bracket and throttle cable.

Here is the original wheel on that same throttle body so if it looks like this you will have to change it:

Sorry for cluttering up your thread but I've been following this one from the start.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm interested to see what you find out. My GSR engine comes Thursday and I start the conversion Friday. I'm curious now if I can just use my oem GS cable and not have to use the long one either...

-Amp
Tonight, I'm going to compare the pics from phunhaus to my throttle body, and if they're the same, I'll order the throttle cable and bracket tonight.

Originally Posted by phunhaus
That picture is from some years ago and the details of the build have gotten fuzzy.

I believe that was still the stock B16 throttle body with a GSR or even ITR throttle wheel. Here is a photobomb of the throttle wheel when degreeeing the cams in the B18C if you want to compare this wheel against yours. If everything looks the same, all you need is the bracket and throttle cable.

Here is the original wheel on that same throttle body so if it looks like this you will have to change it:

Sorry for cluttering up your thread but I've been following this one from the start.
Thank you so much for those pics!!! I've been looking for a while and never saw those! Hopefully my throttle body is the same.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a b18b throttle cable on my right hand eg. Its tight but it does work. I was also thinking about the gsr bracket that would be perfect if it works.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by enjoiskater7788
I have a b18b throttle cable on my right hand eg. Its tight but it does work. I was also thinking about the gsr bracket that would be perfect if it works.
Can you possibly post a pic so I can see how it's ran? I have a B18B one in my garage, but it seemed too short.

​​​​​​​Thanks in advance!
Old 10-18-2016, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is the only picture i have right now i can take a closer one tomorrow. You can see how tight it is in front of the brake booster and right behind the oil cap in the picture it makes a hard 90° turn. But it works flawlessly till i can find something better.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scottp11
Thank you so much for those pics!!! I've been looking for a while and never saw those! Hopefully my throttle body is the same.
Not a problem at all, sir. There was never a build thread for that car so there isn't a whole lot of exposure for that car before, andd even after, the Import Tuner feature.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is the only picture i have right now i can take a closer one tomorrow. You can see how tight it is in front of the brake booster and right behind the oil cap in the picture it makes a hard 90° turn. But it works flawlessly till i can find something better.
Thanks for posting the pic! It's kind of hard to see where it's ran though, but I think I have an idea. I'll probably end up trying that this evening.

Originally Posted by phunhaus
Not a problem at all, sir. There was never a build thread for that car so there isn't a whole lot of exposure for that car before, andd even after, the Import Tuner feature.
Thanks again!

So, after zooming in on the pics that phunhaus sent, I realized the throttle wheel is 180 degrees rotated. I'm not sure if he rotated it, or bought a GSR one, but yeah. You can see on my pics, that the throttle body I have, has the holes to mount the GSR bracket, but the wheel is clocked differently.

As compared to:

...and I know it kind of petty to be this concerned about a throttle cable, but I figure that I've spent this much time getting the car to look the way I want, I might as well finish it the way I want.

On another note, my 98+ JDM ITR steering wheel will be here today! FINALLY! I ordered this thing back in July!
Old 10-19-2016, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is a better picture or the way its routed
Old 10-21-2016, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is a better picture or the way its routed
Thanks for the pic! I tried the two other throttle cables I have, and there is no way either will reach. I did order the GSR bracket and throttle cable though, so hopefully that works.

I also finally received my steering wheel after almost 4 months! I think I'll only use it for shows and special occasions because it's so mint.

Here's a pic of my old (current) steering wheel:

...and the NEW one!

I got a new overflow reservoir from JHP, as well as a 4 Bar MAP sensor and a Honda radio block off plate, that's I'll use to mount my gauges on.

I also worked on my exhaust for a little while last night, and will hopefully finish it up tonight or Saturday.

All comments and/or criticism are welcome!
Old 10-22-2016, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice find on that steering wheel! I can't wait to sit behind the wheel of mine.

That reservoir you got, a buddy of mine with a TSX that we turbocharged got one of those. We cut the end off at a 45 degree angle and flipped it so the filler was vertical rather than horizontal. That way we could mount the whole unit horizontally and still be able to fill it. Ended up looking pretty awesome, mounted it over the radiator. I'll have to see if I can find a picture!

-Amp
Old 10-23-2016, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice find on that steering wheel! I can't wait to sit behind the wheel of mine.

That reservoir you got, a buddy of mine with a TSX that we turbocharged got one of those. We cut the end off at a 45 degree angle and flipped it so the filler was vertical rather than horizontal. That way we could mount the whole unit horizontally and still be able to fill it. Ended up looking pretty awesome, mounted it over the radiator. I'll have to see if I can find a picture!

-Amp
Thanks man! Yeah, I've been looking for that steering wheel since I bought the car, and as soon as I found one, I jumped on it.

Yeah, as soon as you can post that pic up, that'd be awesome. I'm always open to new ideas!

Thanks again!
Old 10-24-2016, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's what we did with it...

-Amp
Old 10-31-2016, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's what we did with it...

-Amp
That looks bad *** man, but I don't think it'd work the same on my set up. Thanks for the pics and advice though!!

On Friday, I got 3 packages in, 2 from JHP and the other from the Acura dealership. I got the GSR throttle cable and bracket, a seal for the rear hatch glass that the painters took off and didn't put back on, a couple new washers and nuts and some new steering wheel screws.

This weekend, I finally finished up welding the exhaust piping and muffler, except for my dump tube. I'll try to finish it this week though. I also wired up my horn on the Momo steering wheel, (which I'm pretty proud of). I was going to mount the new throttle cable and bracket, but I'm pretty sure I have to rotate the throttle wheel, but I'm afraid of that spring behind there. I just have a feeling that it's gonna unwind and I'll never get it back to how it's supposed to be. I'll figure something out though.

I have to go to the field for the next couple of weeks, so if you don't see any updates for a while, that's why.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hopefully I'll have some more updates soon. Just been crazy busy with work.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's almost there! Here's a couple pics. I only have a few more things to do...

Here, I am loading a base calibration on the Hondata S300. I still have to go get the car on a dyno, and get a legit tune.

And, I got my hood back from the paint shop yesterday. One of my kids, (I still don't know which one) put a small dent/scrape in it, so I sent it back.

I only have a few things left to do, like figuring out the door situation still, weld my dump tube to my downpipe, get an alignment done and then taking it to get a tune. I've driven the car around my neighborhood and fixed all the little ankle biters. Hopefully I'll be able to drive it to work in the next week or two.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been so busy with work, that I haven't been able to update this thing lately, but I did get a lot done.

I've ordered a bunch of parts that I either want or need, and most have come in or will be here within the next few days.

Here's some new oil filters and my Hondata Boost Control Solenoid.

I have to figure out a way to cleanly mount it, since it didn't come with a mounting bracket.

I also figured out the doors and now both work properly the way they were intended to. The only thing I can't wire up is the "auto" up and down, since the driver side motor only has 2 wires instead of 4... But no big deal.

...and here are a couple outside shots. I'm sure I'm gonna get flamed for putting the ITR stickers on a non-type-R, but I like it, and the car just looked too blank without them, especially with the red Honda badges.

Thanks for viewing and as always, all comments and/or criticism is welcome!!!
Old 12-02-2016, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This build is so clean. I'm really hoping mine turns out half as good as this. You're setting the bar high. ha If I ever visit Texas (actually talk about it next year) I'm hitting you up!

-Amp
Old 12-02-2016, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This build is so clean. I'm really hoping mine turns out half as good as this. You're setting the bar high. ha If I ever visit Texas (actually talk about it next year) I'm hitting you up!

-Amp
Thanks man! I really appreciate the kind words! And if you do come to Texas, definitely hit me up!
Old 12-02-2016, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's one more:

Old 12-05-2016, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I didn't get much done this weekend because it was cold and raining, and my son had a basketball tournament, but I did get some parts in and installed.

Here's the NRG Carbon Fiber Hood Dampers:

And installed:

I also got the little clips from the Acura dealership to hold those rubber things on the headlight area of my hood.

I currently have USDM ITR rear seats in the car, but I ordered the JDM ones, as well as some JDM ITR carbon fiber window switches, that should be here today.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got my package in yesterday, with the JDM ITR rear seats and ITR carbon fiber window switches. I'll post pics as soon as I take them.

I also had to buy a new alternator yesterday... I tried to start the car, but only got a few cranks before it wouldn't turn over anymore. I jumped the car, hooked up a multi-meter to the battery, and disconnected the jumper cables. The voltage went from 14+ down to like 9 volts... Alternator it is...

Quick Reply: Scottp11's RHD Turbo DC4 Build