Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

From Rice to Nice (EF hatch build) lots of pics/DIY info

Old 05-12-2016, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From Rice to Nice (EF hatch build) lots of pics/DIY info

Been a while since i did a build on here or in general. Ive spent most of my time and money on my never ending EG project that i dedicated a previous build thread to. Still in progress, trying to get it ready for the race season.

I've had some time to spare and have been wanting to start a new project. I picked up this EF hatch from a buddy of mine more than 5 years ago with plans to go all out on a build. I wanted a challenge and for the money, this seemed like a good starting point. When i bought it, it came fully riced out. Body kit, random gauges, hack job wiring, horrible paint job, stock d15 with an intake exhaust, etc. From first look, the shell was pretty clean being a midwest car.

Plans for this car is a complete tear down and rebuild basically from the ground up.

- Complete repaint, inside and out
- Fresh undercoating
- H2B swap with bolt ons and minor motor mods. Would like to see this thing go low-mid 11's on motor.
- Lots of new and restored suspension pieces
- Rear disc conversion
- DA front brake upgrade
- Brake line tuck
- Shaved engine bay

Im sure ill add to the list as i get farther into it. So far, its becoming a little more than expected, but i love the build and the challenges it brings. I made several bad choices and mistakes throughout my first build with the EG and have learned from those experiences, so this build will be more extensive. I like using lots of pictures and info on things i do and problems i run into for anybody else that needs that info for their own benefit. So stay tuned! Updates will be sporadic depending on what I'm able to get done.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: From Rice to Nice (EF hatch build) lots of pics/DIY info

Im kind of going a little all over the place to start this. Ive been collecting random parts over the years and more recently. Shortly after buying the car, i gathered most of the body panels id need to replace the body kit components or OE pieces that are beyond repair. Im now in the process of getting suspension components together and all the stuff ill need for the brakes so i can do any test fitting and mock ups before i get ready to tear it down to paint. Along with gathering parts, I've started to tear down parts of the car that i will not need. Once i get all of the suspension and brake components handy, i can tear all the old out and start mocking up the new.

I had a feeling before getting into this, i would find some rust issues regardless of how solid it seemed. Worst rust was underneath the body kit side skirts on the rocker panels. Luckily those patch panels are available. Quarter panels seem solid, but will know for sure once i start removing paint.

The more i removed, the more junk i found to add to the pile. Behind the side skirts and bumpers were yellow neon light bars straight from Fast and Furious.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I randomly stumbled upon a DA integra, mostly complete for sale locally seemingly pretty cheap ($350). Other than interior pieces, it was mostly complete. So i picked it up with plans to strip it, use what i could and part out anything salvageable while scrapping the rest.

Unfortunately, it was taken apart to the point where i couldn't start or drive it, so i took a risk on it being so cheap. Before stripping it down, got it to the point where i could crank the motor over. Did a compression test and all 4 cylinders had no compression. I believe the timing was off because the timing belt was really loose. And since i couldn't drive it, decided not to save the transmission not knowing whether it was good. So i pretty much kept the front and rear brakes with spindles and trailing arms and cut my losses on the rest. Had i known it was gonna be this rough, i probably would have searched a junkyard for the brake pieces, but it is what it is.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After a slight let down from the DA purchase, i continued hacking away and removing parts from the EF.

Since i currently don't have a lift in my shop where the EF is, i removed the cylinder head first so i could easily drop the motor and trans out the bottom.

Got the radiator and upper core support out of the way. Found out that the lower portion of the core support is a bit mangled, so i may try to cut one out of another car and patch it in or make something custom since i won't be running an OEM radiator. Depends what i can come up with later on.

Removed the front spindles temporarily to get the axles out so i can drop the motor/trans.

Transmission first, short block second.

Now that the junk is out of the way, can make room for something with a bit more power...

Picked up an H22A from a local JDM motor import company. Has around 70K on it.

Planning on pairing this with a GSR transmission for the better gear ratio and less bulky unit compared to the H trans considering space is already going to be an issue.

For the motor, it will go as follows
- H2B oil pan, QSD or Kaizen, depending on price point
- Balancer delete kit from Kaizen w/ oil pump
- New timing belt and components
- Fresh gaskets
- Paint, unless the block cleans up real well
- Ported intake manifold to remove the butterfly valves
- Possible cams and valve train upgrades depending on price and worth. I don't want to tear into the block and raise compression because id pretty much have to sleeve it.
- and other odds and ends like injectors, regulator, fuel rail, ect.

Transmission ill leave as is unless i have issues. Don't plan on drag racing the car that much, maybe a few days out of the year messing around at the track.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, this is awesome
Old 05-13-2016, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Started to strip down the DA trailing arms

The integra had a lot of rust so most of the bolts either broke or froze inside the bushings. Had to torch most of the arms and use a cut off wheel to remove the rest of the pieces.

And took apart the rear hubs

Once i remove the old trailing arm bushings, i can sandblast them along with the rear spindles and either have them powder coated or just paint them. Ordered all new hardware for the rear arms as well as backing plates, hubs, control arms, compensator arms, and brake components.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stripped down the H to the long block

Pulled out the DA front spindles and removed the lower ball joints

Parts have started to arrive, mostly for the rear suspension. Lower control arms, compensator arms, trailing arm bushings, rear hubs, backing plates, pads, rotors, calipers and all the rear hardware. And a master cylinder to throw in the mix of things.

Removed the wheel studs out of the new rear hubs to prep for extended studs

Old 05-15-2016, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Continued pulling parts off the car

Mangled harness #1

Proportioning valve and some lines

Removed the fuel filter assembly and heater control valve

Took out the wiper motor and transmission assembly. Dont really like the closed cowl design, makes it difficult to remove the wiper assembly. Found remnants of a mouse nest in the cowl and partially into the vents. Reaked of mouse ****.

Removed the front seats and rear seats. Both of which were only held in with 1 bolt, seat belts were only attached at the lap latches on the floor. Rear seats werent bolted down at all...

Took out the center console to get ready to pull the dash

Carpet removed

More rust...

Mangled seat mount on the chassis. Gonna have to either fix it or cut one out of another car.

Steering column removed

Pile of junk keeps growing

Climate control box, vents and crash bar out

Unfortunately, all of the harnesses on this car so far are not usable because of all the hacking previous owners have done. Gonna have to source different harnesses from another car. Gonna do a rywire harness for the engine most likely.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

incredible progress btw really like the those wheels that it came with dont know why lol
Old 05-18-2016, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Those wheels i used to have on my EG, but they work better on the EF because they were released around 89'. I also have a set of Mugen MR-5's to put on this as well when i feel like switching it up.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pressed out the old hubs

Took out the screws and what was left of the backing plates. Luckily with a little help from a torch, the screws came out real easy.

One spindle had a couple of broken bolts that needed to be drilled out.

Got real lucky with this one. Larger bit pushed the rest of the bolt out the other side as i drilled it.

Chased the threads with a tap

Didn't get as lucky with this one. Started with a small bit and worked my way up to a larger bit, had it straight and the larger bit broke off flush in the hole, couldn't remove it. So i left it in there and will just have to run one bolt for the brake hose on that side.

Got some fresh hubs for the front

And always a necessity when stripping down one of these cars!
Old 05-18-2016, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Psychoteen101
Those wheels i used to have on my EG, but they work better on the EF because they were released around 89'. I also have a set of Mugen MR-5's to put on this as well when i feel like switching it up.
nice! lots of good info too! mr5's on an ef is like peanut butter and jelly