Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

Resurrection of Misty the Midori

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resurrection of Misty the Midori

Hello all! This will be a thread mainly for me to document the progress of my dd, a 1996 Honda Civic Hatchback Dx (in Midori Green). A little about my car experiences, my first car was a 1996 Honda Civic Ex coupe back in 2003. I LOVED that car but unfortunately had it taken away from me by a drunk driver. Since then I have been working my way up the car ladder, but felt in someway, I was never truly happy like I was with my first. From my first civic I went to a 2004 Honda Civic Si, to a 2002 Honda S2000, to a 2003 Infiniti G35, to a 2012 Subaru WRX STi, to a 2003 Ford Mustang Cobra (still have), to a Lexus IS300, to a Nissan 370Z (still have), my truck (still have) and now my newly acquired baby. I now finally feel that "feeling" again! (BTW, I love to use parenthesis and quotation marks) ANYWAYS, here's Misty's story.

So here it goes!
I picked her up two months ago off of a craigslist ad. She had a gnarly dent on the passenger side that went from the beginning of the door all the way back to the rear quarter panel, a broken passenger taillight, extremely foggy headlights, a loose front bumper (and grill), drivers side window was stuck in the down position, torn up sun visors, and some other small miscellaneous things that were broken or torn. Did I mention this was on initial inspection? Yeah... Anywho, drove it around and it felt pretty good for a car that was almost 20 years old and definitely looked like it had been neglected but I didn't care, I wanted the car. He told me he had replaced front and rears brakes, full tune up, blah blah blah and I believed him. He also told me the tach worked sporadically and it had a crack on the header but he mentioned to me that he had it welded (shitty I might add) but it did the job and there were initially no CELs, so naively I believed him. I was so wrapped up in the fact that I could potentially have a Midori Green civic, that I was blinded and didn't ask more questions. DON"T DO THIS.
Anyways, signed the paper work, handed over the clams and boom, I was off. About 20 miles in, CEL pops on (remember ask questions) so I pull over at the Autozone close to my house and pull the codes. I can't remember the codes right off hand but I do remember it being the famous DTC 20, 41, 17 thing. After doing some searching on here I found Ron's thread about how to remedy this and sure enough, wires were exposed. Fixed up the wires real nice and went to the local junkyard and found a couple of ELDs and brought them home along with a new VSS (just in case). BAM! Worked like a charm! While I was under there I checked for what else could possible be wrong and boy did I find some ****! Upper and lower ball joints were toast, nasty oil pan gasket leak, ABS cv axles (I dont have ABS), pretty much all bushings were toast, and the rotors had a hard core lip to them. So with my first small inspection out of the way I had a beginners list.
-Tune up
-Oil change (Autozone)
-Brakes (Autozone)
-Master bushing set from Energy Suspension
-New sun visors (OEM)
-New floor mats (Ebay)
-New tail lights (Ebay)
-New Head lights (Ebay)
-New Window Regulator (OEM)
-New Bumper support with head light brackets(OEM)
-Oil Pan Gasket (OEM)
-Tie rod ends, upper and lower ball joints (Autozone)

Edit 4/6: I got stupid busy this weekend and couldn't really do anything to Misty So here are some pictures of the day I got her. Ill be updating throughout the day today when ever I'm not busy with some pictures of the little bit of progress I have made. Cheers!

Last edited by ThePooh; 04-06-2015 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Re: Resurrection of Misty the Midori

Sounds like a fun project! I have the same background hence my join date, and still have my 98 z28. These civics have held up extremely well and are very fun to work on.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Can't wait to see the pics and updates of the ek.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

subbing for another ek hatch!
Old 04-06-2015, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the nice feedback! Ill be updating in a little bit!
Old 04-06-2015, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LOVEEEEEE midori eks! Awesome pick up!
Old 04-06-2015, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice clean hatch