Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

1996 Honda Accord

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 1996 Honda Accord

Hey everyone, just wanted to introduce myself. My name's Corwin, and as my screen name says, I drive a 1996 Honda Accord LX Coupe. I've had the car for 2 years, but started paying it off to my parents about a year ago. about 8 more payments and its mine. and this is the reason why the car is pretty much stock....its my dad's car technically, so no mods unless with his approval.

When I first got it:

As it sits now:

Replaced the headlights for some blackhoused ones, but I will replace them again soon for some Depos or Stanleys. Also took off the hubcaps since they were peeling pretty bad.

Thats all I've done so far, I've got lots planned, but I just gotta wait and pay off the car first.

Last edited by 1996accordlx; 03-28-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Re: new guy

Welcome aboard! Looks as though you have a nice clean slate to start from You will find that this is a good place to find any maintenance and performance oriented information.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

welcome!!!, nice accord, i hope she is manual. so until u pay the car off thats wen u can do mods to her?, y dont u leave the hubcaps on?, what engine does she hav?, welcome again!
Old 08-20-2010, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1996accordlx

Looks like your car is in great shape. What is the white stuff on the driver side rear bumper in the photo? Unbuffed wax?
Old 08-20-2010, 01:52 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree . Hubcaps look so much better than steelies.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by momma
hey guys i am new to this and i was hoping someone may be able to give me some advice i have a 96 honda accord and i have just replaced a cracked radiator unfortunatly the car is still currently over heating can any one help
Stop Hijacking and make your own thread lol.

Nice clean car btw. Body looks in good shape, but what is that white area in the driver side rear bumper?
Old 08-20-2010, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by momma
hey guys i am new to this and i was hoping someone may be able to give me some advice i have a 96 honda accord and i have just replaced a cracked radiator unfortunatly the car is still currently over heating can any one help
Have you checked thermostat,waterpump and or their gaskets? Do you have a leak in the hoses?
Old 08-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

welcome to the forum very clean cd5 is she a 5sp?
Old 08-21-2010, 01:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, to answer all of your questions.........
1. its not a 5spd.....originally it was gonna be my dads car, so he wanted an auto.
2. Hubcaps came off cuz there was more discolored plastic showing then paint. and i might try to find some 94 EX alloys in the near future.
3. The engine is the standard F22B2 found in LXs
4. More major mods will start when car is paid off. i.e. coilovers, wheels, etc.
5. no thats not wax.......i was hit in a parking lot a few months back.

and peeled off the paint and started sanding it down.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1996 Honda Accord

its been forever since I updated this........but I have been doing work.

stumbled upon some authentic Accord Coupe visors (pretty rare) so I snatched them up

Installed Depo Headlights, and 94/95 front lip (which I ripped off, hence the tape)

Put on a new 94/95 Accord front lip

Replaced my steelies with some OEM 94/95 Accord EX wheels and lowered it on Eibach Sportline springs

A few pics from a recent photoshoot with some friends......

My beloved giant Domo

Future plans

Koni Yellows
SiR front bumper lens
Morimoto Mini projector retrofit w/5k HIDs
AEM SRI
8th Gen Civic Si Exhaust
Mugen Grill
94/95 SiR flushmount spoiler
Repaint front and rear bumpers
Old 03-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well done. It looks beautiful!
Old 03-28-2011, 09:58 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

domo is a good passenger. mugen grille, rear painted bumper and adjustable suspension and your perfect.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ryanNoob
Well done. It looks beautiful!
thanks man.

Originally Posted by Hairnandez
domo is a good passenger. mugen grille, rear painted bumper and adjustable suspension and your perfect.
Domo is the best passenger ever. He's quiet, always minds his manners, and get looks from the ladies
Old 03-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very nice, i love how it is going! Cheers!
Old 03-29-2011, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that's one big *** domo.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^Agreed. Nice accord
Old 03-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EjHate
Very nice, i love how it is going! Cheers!
Thanks! Just trying to keep it clean while giving it an OEM+ look.

Originally Posted by r_Senik
that's one big *** domo.
Originally Posted by YAGYAGAN_JDM
^Agreed. Nice accord
Lol he gets me so many funny looks, since I drive with him in the passenger seat (buckled in of course).
Old 05-15-2012, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's been a long time. Finally started working again, after 9 months unemployed.....feels good.

Because I didn't have a job, modding was put on hold. Now that I'm working again, I finally was able to do a bunch of much needed maintenance to the car. Runs like a champ once again. Also in the process of adding a few things to liven up the appearance. How she currently sits:

Last edited by 1996accordlx; 06-12-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, been over a year since I updated this thread. A lot has definitely changed. Here's a little update for you guys from the past year.

Picked up an AEM SRI, front and rear Arospeed strut bars, Accord SiR clear bumper lights, and de-ambered my stock tail lights. Also replaced my stock shocks (now long blown) with some lightly used KYB GR2s.

Next, I found a set of bnib Tanabe sway bars for my car at a laughable price. I have an LX (no rear sway bar), so I had source an EX rear subframe and swap them. Was a PITA, but totally worth it.

At this point, I was happy with how the car was for the time being. I got myself pretty much completely out of debt (other than school loans). It was a nice feeling, and I just saved my money and enjoyed my car.

Fast forward 6 months (now April 2013), and I was ready to start with the car again. First thing I did was trade my suspension setup for what I really wanted....Koni Yellows and Ground Control coilovers with custom 10k front 8k rear springs.

After hunting on Zilvia for a few months, I picked up some 5Zigen FN01R-Cs 17x8 +35 in titanium bronze. They were a little rough (curb rash, scratches, peeling paint), but for 2 bills I wasn't complaining. I wrapped them in Federal SS595 215/45/17 tires.

Since I had a big meet coming up (Cali Accord Meet, largest Accord meet in the country), I then focused on getting the car looking presentable. First was a full detail job to try and restore my now fading single stage paint. You can see the faded paint in the middle, and the detailed sections on the side.

I decided to plasti-dip my wheels white, to cover the blemishes, plus I'm a sucker for white on black (my dream wheels are Regamaster Evos). The actually came out better than expected.

I also ditched my OEM grill for an authentic one......picked up a Plus1 mesh grill.

All ready for the meet.

And some shots from CAM.

Attachment 530763

Mod List

Engine:

-AEM short ram intake
-FFC battery tie down
-FFC radiator brackets

Suspension

-Koni Yellows
-Ground Control coilover sleeves w/ custom 10k front and 8k rear springs
-Arospeed front and rear strut tower braces
-Tanabe 30mm front and 22mm rear sway bars
-Energy suspension endlinks

Wheels
17x8 +35 5Zigen FN01R-C
215/45/17 Federal SS595

Exterior:

-Depo blackhoused JDM headlights
-Plus1 mesh grill
-94/95 Accord front lip
-94/95 Accord rear lip
-Authentic JDM window visors
-SiR bumper lights
-De-ambered tail lights

Interior:

-Pioneer DEH-1200MP headunit

In the Works (parts I have, but are yet to be installed)

94 SiR flushmount wing

SiR front lip

front rotor-over-hub (ROH) conversion (Accords are hub-over-rotor for some reason, so stupid)

Future Plans

- custom extended front top hats
- 11.1" OEM big brake upgrade (Prelude rotors, Odyssey calipers)
- 5-speed swap (H22 transmission for shorter gearing with Accord 5th gear for highway driving)
- Polyurethane bushings all around
- rear disc brake conversion with new master cylinder, 40/40 prop valve, stainless brake lines
- custom 2.5" exhaust (most likely Magnaflow muffler, Vibrant resonator, and custom piping)
- DC Sports header (because C.A.R.B. legal)
-Full Fat Four Customs package for my car.....3-point front strut bar, rear strut bar, LCAs and toe arms with poly bushings.

As you can probably tell, all of my future mods are functional......the car will still be my DD, but I want to be able to take it to the occasional track day. So function is the main goal for now.

Thanks for reading, and I'll keep you guys updated as I make progress on the build.

Last edited by 1996accordlx; 06-13-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:00 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Clean ride!
Old 08-01-2013, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Little update for you guys......been collecting some parts.

Magnaflow dual tip muffler

DC Sports header (CARB legal)

Within the next couple weeks, I'll be piecing together the rest of the exhaust system......new OEM gaskets for the header, 2.5" mandrel bent piping, Magnaflow 18" resonator.

Got my custom extended top hats from my friend.

1st Gen Odyssey brake calipers (for OEM BBK upgrade). Just need some 23T caliper brackets and 92-96 Prelude VTEC rotors and I'm good to go with the swap.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, not much has changed with the car. I decided to postpone putting on some parts for a couple reasons. First being I have to smog the car in November. I decided it would be less of a hassle to smog without the DC header and exhaust (some smog techs are pretty **** about modded cars). So most of the parts will go on first of the year.

But while the parts were just sitting in the garage, I figured I might as well get them to my liking.

I first decided to refinish my DC header. As most people know, they have a problem cracking at the primaries. This one was no different. Previous owner had repaired it though, but it was ugly. Also the header was just all around beat up with scratches. Decided I didn't want it looking like that on my car. Sanded down the header with 600 grit sandpaper. Then sprayed it with high heat primer and VHT flat silver ceramic header paint. Pretty happy with how it turned out, looks brand new minus the deep scratches.

Before:

After:

For my Magnaflow muffler, it had a little bit of rust and some scratches, so I figured I might as well paint it as well. Plus I wanted the muffler to look more low key (no shiny stainless steel flashing in the light) and stock-like, minus the larger dual tips. I again used high heat primer and this time along with high heat flat black paint. Just need to polish the tips a bit.

Before:

After:

I also repaired and restored my JDM window visors. A couple of the clips had broken off, so they were re-attached. From years in the sun the outer finish of the visors had become dull, so I had them polished back to their original finish.

And lastly, I did some thinking, and since I was planning on upgrading the brakes, I figured why settle for just a single piston caliper upgrade? Why not go bigger.....say a 4-piston caliper?

They are OEM Advics calipers off an '05+ Acura RL. I bought them from a friend of mine, along with the brackets to mount them to my car. The calipers were fully stripped and rebuilt, along with the blue powdercoat finish. And I already confirmed my wheels will fit with no clearance issues.

Be on the lookout for another update in Dec/Jan, when most of these parts will go on the car.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can't wait to see those brakes on the car.

paint looks brand new. also, great job on the visors, makes me want to do mine. what'd you use to polish the car and visors?
Old 10-22-2013, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

great job so far, especially with the exhaust pieces. in for updates!
Old 10-22-2013, 07:17 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow nice add ons!

Quick Reply: 1996 Honda Accord