Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

Eli's Formula Red - 99 Civic Coupe - "resto-mod" *slow progress / quality parts*

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Eli's Formula Red - 99 Civic Coupe - "resto-mod" *slow progress / quality parts*

Originally Posted by Brice.Hayden
Hurry hurry hurry
Old 05-09-2016, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Eli's Formula Red - 99 Civic Coupe - "resto-mod" *slow progress / quality parts*

Hurry hurry hurry
Originally Posted by REDEM1FTW
Ask and you shall receive

We made some more progress on the Civic this past week and weekend. Was able to get the doors broken down, the engine bay 98% prepped for paint as well as rust repair complete, quarter panels blocked and finish prepped before primer.. but how bout some pictures!

CTR Hood marked up for dent correction

Anyone that has had the privilege of working with this ****.. knows the pain I experienced this past week while removing it lol.. Ruined a pair of jeans and tee shirt in the process but they came out quite well when all complete

Not too shabby

Thanks to these two items lol

Engine bay scuffed and the 'new' left side radiator mounting point starting to look as pretty as it should.. errr.. resemble factory lol

A little closer view of said mounting point

Picture courtesy of my Dad's iPhone of the rust repair he completed on the right side quarter panel

Pops doing some blocking after the rust repair, also ensuring panel is as or more straight than it came from Honda

Blocked and almost ready for primer!

Right side pillar correction

Left side quarter panel body filler after the rust repair.. trust that this has the majority of it sanded down so it's literally just a skimming of filler.. didn't grab after blocking pictures

Doors ready for another coat of primer then waiting for paint

As is the EK9 hood

Spoon ABS plastic mirrors, fuel filler door and door thin mouldings scuffed and ready for primer and paint

New DX roof skin.. one of the last in the states per our parts department here at work (Vern Eide Honda in Sioux Falls, SD).. had to order it from Vintage Parts Warehouse

And.. as it sits right now.. was waiting for the glue to set up on the roof skin before welding in place this week.. radiator support, doors, etc should all be final fitted before taking apart again for primer and the rest of the finishing work... huge thanks to JR for doing the panel fitment stuff for me! and of course my Dad for all the after hours stuff and blessing the body panels with his skills
Old 05-09-2016, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Now THATS what i like to see!

Good ****. Ive always wanted to learn auto paint and body, just never had the opportunity nor a place to do it. I envy all the paint and body guys like your dad who give life to tired looking/neglected cars
Old 05-09-2016, 09:53 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd kill for a DX roof skin. I hate the sunroof. Plus i have a sweet roof console I want to use.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by REDEM1FTW
Now THATS what i like to see!

Good ****. Ive always wanted to learn auto paint and body, just never had the opportunity nor a place to do it. I envy all the paint and body guys like your dad who give life to tired looking/neglected cars
yeah.. I know a little.. basically what my Dad has taught me the few times he's let me help with stuff the past 20some years (he's ****-retentive when it comes to finishing work so it's only if he directs us children of his haha) that he's okay with having assistance haha

I'd kill for a DX roof skin. I hate the sunroof. Plus i have a sweet roof console I want to use.
Amongst getting rid of a number of storage spots during this build that may be one of the items on my list in the future.. but yes I found myself using the sunroof less and less the older I got plus the weight savings from the very top of the car is a definite plus!
Old 06-09-2016, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm loving this build and updates.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:35 PM
No Jodas

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sunroof is a must for a sunday cruiser for me... lol
Old 06-12-2016, 04:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's going the right way, loving this so far, subscribed.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 08-03-2016, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any updates? Also how much was the DX roof panel?
Old 09-06-2016, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Allow me to apologize about the lack of traffic in here over the summer. I ended up leaving my job as a Service Advisor for Honda here locally and making a change in careers into Web Development so it's been a wickedly busy summer with all of that and trying to accomplish with the Civic.. but over the next few days this week I should have y'all up to speed with where I am today!

Rear spats for the 99 rear bumper, rear sedan door handles and some moldings that I scuffed and cleaned prior to paint

Love this Standox stuff the body shop started using a number of years ago... this is what was used to prepped the bare plastic along with the yellow scotchbrite pad and a little agua..

Same concept with the unpainted side skirts

Autopower Roll Cage cross bars.. just a green/grey scotchbrite and wax/grease remover for this

Main hoop w/ diagonal bars prepped *NSX spare photobomming the background*

Rear bumper prepped for paint

also prepped and cleaned the floor area which was to be Lizard Skin coated

ultimately Dad and I decided that we should remove all of that OE glue on the back of the door.. good lord what a pain.. a little laquer thinner does wonders though!

engine bay after sealer and reapplication of the flawed seam sealer

left quarter after a little modification, some rust repair and straigtening

right quarter with the same treatment

front fender wells stripped down to re-seamseal

Wurth self-leveling seam sealer.. this worked pretty well in the wheel-wells.. haha.. (horrible pun).. in the engine bay though we must have gotten a bad bottle cause it did NOT cure

seam sealer applied and cured.. I didn't take a picture of the other side.. cause quite honestly it looked like a 5 year old did it.. haha.. I wasn't expecting it to be that runny!

removed the factory rear tow hook in preparation for the SHG weld on hook

as shown here..

cut off these janky looking pieces of rust.. previous owner had these on to weld up an aftermarket muffler....

some notes to address before prime and paint

Taped up the holes leading into the engine bay to prevent overspray

also taped up the holes leading to the exterior prior to Lizard Skin application

shaved the antenna hole

right front wheel well post undercoat

left front..

chassis up on the frame rack to correct the 1/4 inch difference side to side... yikes! but now is the time to correct it!

SHG rear tow hook welded in place and sealer sprayed

Radiator support welded in place after frame correction... sealed and prepped for primer

door hinges hanging to paint

chassis waiting to get masked off prior to paint

interior getting masked / papered off so no overspray gets on the interior / Lizard Skin

Trunk laid down ready for the interior of it to be sprayed...

I don't know why I love watching these machines mix paint.. must be something linking back to my childhood spending time with my Dad in the body shop when he did body work/paint full time.. and this is where I'll leave you until Wednesday!

Last edited by ej8eli; 09-06-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think I skipped past it, but what did you use to coat the wheel wells?
Old 09-23-2016, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bks84
I think I skipped past it, but what did you use to coat the wheel wells?
wheel wells are rubberized 3M undercoating

Here's some more updates and as it sits now! More will come throughout the autumn and winter!

[img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8181/29792687491_61fb14e50b_b.jpg9/img]
The weekend we painted it was spent in a 3 day format. My Dad really took over here and 'blessed' the jams and exterior of the car quite wonderfully. Friday night was for door jams, underhood, inner doors, some outer panels.. etc

Doors hung up to spray the inner panel.. we went over everything with Wax and Grease remover one more time and started masking things off

Had to protect my JDM points

While we were rolling it into the booth.. before it went in.. Dad found an imperfection in the new roof skin so we had to correct that and make it look like a new OE panel (which it was lol) before paint.. the bondo is less than what it appears mind you..

Interior being already covered in Lizard Skin we masked that all off to prevent overspray

We (or he I should say) had already sprayed the engine bay the weekend before.. At this point I'm so elated I chose to switch away from Milano Red over to Formula Red.. the color is absolutely fantastic!

Dad pouring some into a cup to begin spraying

Saturday we started laying everything out and again final prep before paint

OG Spoooon hanging up ready for a color change

Misc exterior trims setup to get covered properly

Sedan rear door handles.. and some rear seat bracing..

rear bumper support if you could call it that

Another booth was occupied by the doors, chassis, fenders

said chassis after putting a bag over it's head to mask off where we wanted

oe fender after some lovin

Another booth had plastics in it.. we needed to do some rear bumper 'polishing' as well

front bumper after a hole was cut in it and the license plate mount holes were shaved

bigger picture into the maddness :corn:

Ended up getting into an accident in my daily driver 4 door integra... lady made a left hand turn from the far right light and I smacked the rear quarter panel of her jetta wagon..

Chassis all masked off.. including vin tags and oe stickers..

bumper grill and lower tray masked off.. I know the lower tray traditionally gets paint matched.. I felt like keeping it black.. not really sure why.. no real good reason

my Dad masking off what I call 'driveway feelers' on the OE EK9 front lip

final product!!! well.. "final".. kinda set the camera down throughout the reassembly process.. the shop started to get busier as summer went on and nad to "bust" to get it put back together.. never-the-less.. this isnt final panel fitment either, I still need to install the new wiring stuff and do the other bits also

just a few pieces of trim to get yet for the exterior to check off my list.. nothing too major though

hood isn't complete shut in this picture.. I really am liking how the front end came together

ASR LCA's and TruHart/HardRace lower arms and RTA bushings

OG Comptech Subframe brace and SHG tow-hook

new OE bearings/hub assemblies as well as ARP extended studs

New gas tank straps and OE hardware... I refinished the fuel tank.. I'll have to see if I can find those pictures

Autopower bolt-in roll cage and a little Spoon wheel lurkin in the background

That's all I have for now.. waiting for a wrecked coupe to find its way to the area so I can grab some interior pieces,, then I will be throwing the wiring in and starting reassembly from the inside out.. may be slow going so bear with me! Thanks for reading!
Old 09-23-2016, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

EPIC. That's the first word that comes to mind. Beautiful car man.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by WhiteSlips
EPIC. That's the first word that comes to mind. Beautiful car man.
well thank you sir!

I should clarify also.. the KW's I purchased I was told were for EK.. ended up not being for an EK so that's where the F/F's come into play on the rear just to get the car home.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Really incredible. Great build so far.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dope! Car is looking really good, coming along nice!
Old 09-24-2016, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDMH22HATCH
Really incredible. Great build so far.
Thank you good sir!

Originally Posted by K20A3F00L
Dope! Car is looking really good, coming along nice!
Much appreciated!
Old 09-24-2016, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome car man! The attention to detail is top notch (Y)

Is the rubberized under coating in the wheel wells and under the trunk area the 3M stuff you mentioned earlier in the thread? I assume it was sprayed out of a gun and not out of a can...

Keep up the good work!
Old 09-24-2016, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah it's just the 3M stuff from an aerosol can.. works great and I genuinely believe in the 3M product so I'm sure it'll be just fine
Old 09-24-2016, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

excellent work, love the thoroughness to it.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your pretty much building a car from scratch. Might as well just call it a 2016 Honda Civic lol. Keep it up!
Old 09-25-2016, 04:54 PM
footwork mastery

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks nice! Every time I come into the build section it makes me want to get an old Honda... damnit
Old 09-29-2016, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Casey
excellent work, love the thoroughness to it.
Thanks sir!

Originally Posted by BoBaFreak
Your pretty much building a car from scratch. Might as well just call it a 2016 Honda Civic lol. Keep it up!
haha that's the ideology behind it that's for sure

Originally Posted by .Grimace
Looks nice! Every time I come into the build section it makes me want to get an old Honda... damnit
They're wonderful when executed correctly that's for sure!
Old 09-30-2016, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Amazing work! Everything I am trying to do to mine right now.

On that note I was wondering where you sourced your fuel tank straps and OE hardware? I had to buy a whole new tank and ditch the old straps and hardware as they were just to damage to reuse.

Quick Reply: Eli's Formula Red - 99 Civic Coupe - "resto-mod" *slow progress / quality parts*