Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

EF5 4g 4wd 4dr

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 01:37 PM
EFB055

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: EF5 4g 4wd 4dr

Originally Posted by 1992BB2
Wow, that 3D printed piece turned out great. I tried printing some console pieces for my Prelude, and they ended up looking like crap. You have got to share your secret. haha.
It really depends on the type of printing you use. Also the print was hand finished (sanded/bogged and primed) before i cast it. This type of print which you can finish quite nicely is too brittle to be a functional part.

Originally Posted by beeza
Come on Steve,you could be rich by now! lol

Looking good mate.Looking at it again makes we want one
Hahaha. I feel like i'll probably maybe sell 5.

Originally Posted by afx31
Awesome progress! Can't wait till finally up for sale I'll be the first one to buy 😊
I'm actually really close to finishing, just need to get some retainer clips manufactured so that it retains into the dash nicely. Here's an example of how it sits, i went to a wrecker to test fitment. The only ED there was rancid and moldy which was a bit of a shame, but fitment is good. (see attached)
Attached Images   
Old 05-21-2017, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ew watch out you might have a disease now from sitting in it haha! Fitment looks very good too, well done mate!
Old 05-22-2017, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ LOL

Your a tease
Old 12-22-2017, 12:02 AM
EFB055

Super slack with updates.

Got my interior mostly back in. Got my motor back in. Still making bits and pieces for it, and working on it most weekends. Here's a couple of pics:

My rad hoses were sitting against my heater hose because of the relocated fitting on my radiator:

Printed a separator:

Needed a mount for my MAP sensor:

CAD

Print:

New parts:

Some bits are tiiiiight haha:

Coming together:

Old 12-22-2017, 12:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ~sp33~
Super slack with updates.

Got my interior mostly back in. Got my motor back in. Still making bits and pieces for it, and working on it most weekends. Here's a couple of pics:

My rad hoses were sitting against my heater hose because of the relocated fitting on my radiator:

Printed a separator:

Needed a mount for my MAP sensor:

CAD

Print:

New parts:

Some bits are tiiiiight haha:

Coming together:

HOLY MOLY! That final engine bay pic is amazing man nice work!

Must of been expensive buying that aeroflow stuff.. looks awesome but

CAD designs came out hectic. What program do you use to design? I want to design some things like the rear sway bracket im going to make, but purely judt for the design side and to post on build thread/for some fun
Old 12-22-2017, 05:39 PM
EFB055

Cheers, I use solidworks but you could give 'onshape' a go, it's free and pretty similar to industry software in terms of features/usability. It was actually created by the folks from solidworks.

HMU if you have any Q's.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:04 PM
EFB055

I miss forums

Some work on the car over the break... Not much left now to get it started, basically just waiting to hear back from Aeroflow about some connectors they sent that had been misslabelled.

While i'm waiting I installed a oil pressure sender, the guy who built my motor wants to see pressure while he's tuning. Lucky there's 2 'extra' wires on my rywire harness, probably for this exact thing.

Installed two ring terminals onto the harness, i tell ya modifying an expensive harness always makes me nervy haha:

Installed, looped over and zip tied so there's no tension on the terminals:

Managed to get away with making a sub harness out of old harnesses so i can just plug it into the interior harness without having to cut/solder/crimp. Turned out nice:

Next up, i finally decided on a place to chuck my catch can. Decided to sit it under my air filter where there's a threaded hole that i didn't shave. Somwhere here'ish:

Started with just some 5mm thick aluminium angle:

Cut it all up, drilled and tapped a couple of holes so the catch can could mount to it:

Mocked up:

Painted:

Foam applied to the bottom so it doesn't scratch my paint:

Installed, and the mishimoto bracket adjusted so the stupidly angled outlets don't foul anything:

I think it turned out ok, doesn't stand out much. Hopefully wont even see it once the air filter is installed.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I miss forums too, that's why we gotta stay active on them!

Progress looking bloody awesome! Could you show a photo of the sub plugged in? I like the idea you did, I'm actually going through a design and planning phase atm to make a 'false floor' throughout the boot and possibly to replace rear seats, then have lids which have the sub/amp attached on the underneath, then have a neat setup of plugs to easily remove when at track (kinda stealing the idea from a EG guy in Melbourne, but his happy for me too hehe).

That bracket you whipped up for the catch can looks bloody awesome too! I really need to start doing such things. Keen to see this car running!!
Old 01-01-2018, 12:48 PM
EFB055

Originally Posted by afx31
I miss forums too, that's why we gotta stay active on them!

Progress looking bloody awesome! Could you show a photo of the sub plugged in? I like the idea you did, I'm actually going through a design and planning phase atm to make a 'false floor' throughout the boot and possibly to replace rear seats, then have lids which have the sub/amp attached on the underneath, then have a neat setup of plugs to easily remove when at track (kinda stealing the idea from a EG guy in Melbourne, but his happy for me too hehe).

That bracket you whipped up for the catch can looks bloody awesome too! I really need to start doing such things. Keen to see this car running!!
Haha I read your reply and was like what are you talking about, then i realised i said 'sub harness'. I meant sub as in subordinate, not subwoofer haha. I removed all the speaker and headunit wiring from my cabin and dash harnesses. and this is all i've got in the boot:

I used to have a sub in my old ED but it was just a box in the boot.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ahhhh right fairy muff.. so no sound system at all? You crazy!?
Old 01-01-2018, 03:54 PM
EFB055

When i had it on the road i never listened to the radio, it was always switched off.

Prefer to listen to all the trim rattles lol
Old 01-01-2018, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ~sp33~

When i had it on the road i never listened to the radio, it was always switched off.

Prefer to listen to all the trim rattles lol
Hmmm I still like some noise, but nothing beats rattling trim hahaha
Old 01-02-2018, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha yeah,trim rattles . I got rid of the sound system too ages ago,car is for driving,hearing the exhaust and for problems.

Looks great mate.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:27 PM
EFB055

Got the front end back on. Now i've just gotta wait for some parts to arrive. Poor thing is so dusty lol

Getting close now!
Old 01-11-2018, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Even when it's dusty it looks great!
Old 01-22-2018, 12:54 PM
EFB055

So, I've had a busy few weeks and my Aeroflow parts have been a nightmare (3 parts have been incorrect), so sending them back and then them sending replacements which have also been wrong... It's never ending.

Anyway, one of the problem parts was an inline tap that turned up with no holes in it lol. Basically an inline plug. I called them and that's just how it comes apparently, i have to drill my own holes in it, derp. Also ruining the nice black anodized finish. Oh well, atleast you don't see it i guess.

While i'm waiting for that debacle to sort itself out, i picked up this CRX dash which had the typical sun damaged felt on the top. I ripped it off because if i'm going to run it, i'll want the dash material to match my door cards (which are black vinyl). I tried to pull that section off the dash, but it's just not possible. Also the plastic is basically made of eggshells from being so old.

I bought some black vinyl which is a pretty close match to my interior already, cut it loosely and draped it over the section that needed covering

The vinyl was really stiff, and at this point i was regretting everything lol.

I bought a heat gun which really helped

And the finished product. It turned out ok, maybe 8/10, not quite OEM but IMO better than the burnt *** fabric that was on there before.

The dash came with the parts i need to swap it in, but the center console has been cut up to fit after narket gauges, and the cluster hood has just been destroyed. So i need to find those parts before i chuck the dash into the car...
Old 01-22-2018, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow aeroflow, yeh I've heard peasant reviews before as well..

This dash though I'm liking the retrimming! Looks OEM to me, nice and clean too. I've been wanting to do a CRX dash swap too but havnt seen one come up yet
Old 01-22-2018, 03:35 PM
EFB055

Thanks, yeah i don't think anyone would notice it if i didn't point it out. I'm a little worried about the performance of the glue, its specific for automotive and marine, but i'm worried it'll let the vinyl creep back from its stretched state. Seems ok so far, it's been a couple of days, but the real test is when it's sitting out in the sun i think.

Got a call from Aeroflow this morning basically admitting that everything is stuffed up and they've finally found me parts that are correct lol. So, we'll see.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeh in that hot summer sun will be the true test.

Well atleast they admitted stuff up, I feel they should compensate lol
Old 01-25-2018, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad they're getting you sorted.

Love the dash! Is it illegal to tint your windshield in AU?
Old 01-28-2018, 12:27 PM
EFB055

Originally Posted by EF Sedan Enthusiast
Glad they're getting you sorted.

Love the dash! Is it illegal to tint your windshield in AU?
Yeah it's illegal. I think you can do 35% on the front door windows and no restriction on the rear (if it's a wago).

Went down to Melbourne for a few days last week, so only had Sunday to work on the pos. Spent the time drilling holes in my LHT manifold so i can get some bungs welded in and figuring out what to do with my IAT sensor. My rywire harness plug doesn't reach the sensor because the supercharger is in the way. Pics to follow sometime

It's never ending...
Old 01-28-2018, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn the thought you'll have to cut up a rywire harness... ceebs
Old 01-30-2018, 12:39 PM
EFB055

Yeah i wasn't a fan of that idea either. Instead i chose to make an extension harness out of a couple of spare sensors i had laying around. I found that this coolant switch i had was the exact same connector as the IAT sensor, and it was just crimped onto the brass body so i could easily separate it without breaking the plastic:

Pretty neat little thing actually, there's a little metallic strip that deflects when it's hot and closes the circuit contacts, similar to a kettle. Here's the connector apart, and you can see the contacts at the back:

I found some spare wires with the correct terminals that slide onto the prongs in the sensor:

Soldered the wires to the contacts:

Potted the connections in resin which prevents the solder from fatiguing:

Wrapped and finished, now the rywire plug will connect straight to the brown connector to read the IAT sensor... It's a little chunky i think, i might re do it in the future and replace the sheeth with just straight heat shrink, but it'll do for now.

Also picked up my replacement Aeroflow parts finally...
Old 02-04-2018, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Very nicely done mate, looks the same quality as the Rywire harness haha! Woo correct Aeroflow parts!
Old 02-04-2018, 12:26 PM
EFB055

Ta.

I spent the last couple of days putting oils in, checking torque specs etc, not much left now. Here's a couple of pics of the manifold i keep having to modify:

The two holes at the back are in/out feed for the heat exchanger and the 3rd on the top is a fill/bleed hole. I've handed it over to my mate Mark who'll weld bungs onto the holes for me.

And I THINK that's the last piece of the puzzle.

Quick Reply: EF5 4g 4wd 4dr