Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

The build of The Rice Bowl aka #RUfasterthanahonda?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: The build of The Rice Bowl aka #RUfasterthanahonda?

keep at it bro.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by speedjunkie_g35
Well I am a little impatient and I have too many projects right now. I had planned on restoring the car entirely and swapping the motor in but with buying a new house and more than likely moving in a month. I needed to get this driveable so I have been steadily busting it out over the past month. I should have it up and running next time I make it back to town. I have just about all the parts I need other than an o2 sensor.
It has been a learning experience and I couldn't do it with out the help I have received on here. I have always been mechanically inclined, raced karts as a teenager and have always been into domestics. I have owned a few hondas over the years but was never into modding them much.

Here is two of my old Hondas. 02 civic and 96 accord. My brothers DC in the garage(that was my first experience rebuilding a Honda motor)

Before...

And after... Fell asleep with cruise set at 90mph. Flipped 12x over 50 yards. My 70lbs. pit bull was in the back seat and we both walked away. There was so much friction that there are holes all over the drivers side from scraping against the asphalt

holy ****k bro thats some crazy *** **** right there!!! good thing your dog was ok
Old 04-24-2012, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys! I am leaning toward the J speed's! I may just hold off for now and throw some 205/50's on the fat fives I currently have. I want my turbo by August!!!

Steveo- I still look at those pics and can't believe we walked away!!! My dog hated cars after this happened. It was funny because I refused to go to the hospital because I didnt know what to do with my dog. Everyone was arguing with me that I had to go the hospital, so the trooper took her until I was my family came up and got her.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I got the exhaust welded up last time I was in town. I am very happy with the sound. I still think I am going to add a cat because it is a little raspy in vtec.

Took it for its first road trip, well Mobile for the Farewell to Winter '12 car show last Sat. 700+ miles and enjoying every mile!!! AND I am getting 32.5 mpg average!!!
Old 05-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks good, clean engine bay. what plans did have, which turbo? hp numbers? GL on everything
Old 05-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdm_phunk
looks good, clean engine bay. what plans did have, which turbo? hp numbers? GL on everything
Thanks to some Purple Power, my engine bay looks better than the rest of the car.

I am going to start my FI experience with a street kit from go-autowerks with a 4831B .63 and go for 300ish as a goal.

I have been meaning to get up with a guy back home with a gsr block with a cracked sleeve. I plan to send that, probably to Laskey racing and have them build the motor. I want to sleeve it to 84mm with a LS crank and shoot for 500+. I will probably get a Silver Surfer or a Reaper.

I am kind of at a point where I need to figure if I am going to build the car for road course or the 1320. I originally wanted to build for the strip but I also want something for road courses.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by speedjunkie_g35
Thanks to some Purple Power, my engine bay looks better than the rest of the car.

I am going to start my FI experience with a street kit from go-autowerks with a 4831B .63 and go for 300ish as a goal.

I have been meaning to get up with a guy back home with a gsr block with a cracked sleeve. I plan to send that, probably to Laskey racing and have them build the motor. I want to sleeve it to 84mm with a LS crank and shoot for 500+. I will probably get a Silver Surfer or a Reaper.

I am kind of at a point where I need to figure if I am going to build the car for road course or the 1320. I originally wanted to build for the strip but I also want something for road courses.

I was thinking of doing the same with one of the Go-autoworks kits, I havnt heard anything bad about the kits. im looking at just doing this to my 99 SI and my 95 civic
Old 05-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I haven't heard a single bad thing about greg and go-autowerks. He was very helpful with helping me pick out a kit that would be best for what I want. I am looking forward to FI. If we could only hurry up and close on our house I could continue my build.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thinking these might provide better traction then whats on there...
Old 05-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I had a little paranoia last night. I got back to town and went to the poker room with a buddy and on the way over there from Milton my motor was surging up and down about 400 rpm's. I figured it was as simple as a vacuum hose came loose, at least I was hoping!!! Checked it this morning and sure enough the hose I got from O'rielly's was cracked.
Also went to the junk yard today to get ac lines and compressor. Just need the crv bracket now. Guess I am going to order that unless some one has one they don't need?? Fat guys and no AC= :suicide:
Also got a hood and door in much better than what I had.

I am thinking it needs a little low even thought it is still nice not having to worry about bottoming out on everything. Maybe .5-1" ?? Also got the fatties on her now!!

I am thinking of cutting the huge tip off and leave the little 60mm snub for the tip.

OLD

NEW
Old 05-19-2012, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well youreally need to cut that tip a little bit!!!
Old 05-19-2012, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After staring at that pic for a few minutes I def agree. I am planning on added a cat in two weeks so I will go ahead and cut that off. I have been thinking of painting the can in a high temp black as well. I prefer a more OEM look.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think oem look better!!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I just order a reman. ac compressor and new dryer. Also ordered crv ac bracket. It seems to good to be true that I might have ac in her next time I am in town!!!

I am also trying to figure what cat to get. I think I am going to use a 2.5" inlet/ outlet. The inner diameter just barely fits over the 60mm piping. The one I am looking at only gives me a max weight of 6000 lbs and a engine no bigger than 5.9. I also need to reed up on were you put a wideband, before or after the cat...
Old 05-23-2012, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

325 miles on a 10gallon tank?

Also, I'm not so sure the silver surfer would be a good choice for your 500whp goal. You would have to push the turbo outside its efficiency range. Although it would be an excellent turbo for road racing because of its spool characteristics.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lzylst
325 miles on a 10gallon tank?

Also, I'm not so sure the silver surfer would be a good choice for your 500whp goal. You would have to push the turbo outside its efficiency range. Although it would be an excellent turbo for road racing because of its spool characteristics.
Yep, I think I was closer to 340 this last tank. Yes I am normally shifting by the time I get to 2600 rpm's so I am really baby'in it. It might see vtec more once I get a cat on it.

Silver surfer is good till about 525 and I do want room for more. I am leaning towards a reaper once they are back in production. I think I have solved my delima with wanting to road race and hit the strip. A turbo B and a N/A K. I almost picked up a rolling shell crx for $400 this weekend.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I wasn't able to get to much done since the wife and I rented a condo in Perdido Key, FL and boy was it nice to do nothing but relax!!! I did get the ac components installed Saturday. I went ahead and ordered a new compressor and dryer last week and glad I did. I didn't pay attention when taking the ac lines and components off at the junkyard because I ended up grabbing r12 parts off a 93 ($75 down the drain)so I had to go on a mad dash to all the local junk yards to get what I needed for r134. I have everything installed, just have to vacuum all the air out, check for leaks and install r134. It is too damn hot in FL to not have AC.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I finally found a set of new Denji's for $160 shipped so I will be working on a retro-fit soon.

I had to share this even though it isn't on topic. Can ya say redneck?
Old 06-02-2012, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

holy redneck!!!!!! you should sell me your old rims car is coming along nicely btw! Definitely a good idea to keep a small stock tip on the exhaust, the giant can's look horrible on an eg...... If I ever need larger exhaust I will keep the stock muffler hanging in place and run a down pipe exit underneath the car.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice progress!

There is something about having AC in a car on hot days
Old 06-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for the kind words good sir's. I think I am going to hold on to them for now, been thinking of a second eg or crx. There is a eg shell already painted the Caribbean Blue from g35's that I have been thinking of buying for the past few months for cheaper than what it will cost to paint my current hatch. If I could only find a place to hide if from the wife, thats my biggest issue. I was always pissed that I settled for the color I did because the CB was being sold when I pulled up on the lot.

Picked up a extra short block c1 with a cracked sleeve. Not a fan of down time and nothing wrong with a spare. Plan on sending to Laskey Racing to sleeve and build. If you you would like to donate to the " I Need Money Foundation", please PM for details. There is nothing like putting a smile on someones face!!

I am thinking when I go 3- 3 1/4 there wont be much more than pipe. I planned on going there after the part and cut the tip off but that didn't happen...

Hyper extended my knee and ankle today on a 18 ft. inflatable water slide for a party we had so didn't try to source the leaks on my ac after trying to create vacuum. Been icing it most of the day.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Something about seeing a B series first swapped in always brings a smile to my face. Call me a ricer idgaf, glad y'all made it safe outta the wreck.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol, nvm, i seen it has some nice tint already. :D
Old 06-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I love this swap. It is fun as hell to drive but i want 300 whp now.
The tint is only on the rear qtr glass and it is the static cling. I have been meaning to get up with my buddy to get him to tint the car right but been holding off because I plan on removing the glass when I get the qtr fixed and the car painted. I am cutting the exhaust tip off today when I get hm, I am tired of looking at it!! I am debating getting some bight temp black paint and painting the muffler. Think I might lower it another inch too.

Last edited by speedjunkie_g35; 06-03-2012 at 09:40 AM. Reason: I hated auto correct. Makes me look like a babbling idiot
Old 06-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is one of my dog, a few weeks ago riding shotty!

Cut the tip off and now I have a pissed off bumble bee sound when I am hard on the throttle between 3-4k. Guess that cat will be coming sooner than I planned.

Quick Reply: The build of The Rice Bowl aka #RUfasterthanahonda?