Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Wiesco vs. Arias vs. Ross vs. JE vs. CP pistons. Who's the best?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 05:13 PM
H25
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Wiesco vs. Arias vs. Ross vs. JE vs. CP pistons. Who's the best? (TOM J)

every motor that gets built with forged pistons @ MHR has Arias pistons.. I have been using them on turbo cars. NA cars for several years and Never once had a problem, they have a really good engineer by the name of barry. plus they got tom, and jason. very cool guys, and more importantly they make Excellent products..
Old 03-18-2004, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Wiesco vs. Arias vs. Ross vs. JE vs. CP pistons. Who's the best? (4gotpasswordAGAIN)

We are using Arias and are very happy with them. They make an excellent piston and have outstanding customer support.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Wiesco vs. Arias vs. Ross vs. JE vs. CP pistons. Who's the best? (Adam F)

here's one pic of when I had to make the decision between 9.8:1 Cp's or 8.8:1 Wiseco's. They are both very nice pistons and I would choose to run either of these two any day. I went with the Cps' for this build. This decision was based largely on the amazing service I recieved from CP.

here's a link with the little story of how great I was treated. Highly recommend CP and the great people that work there! Darius was actually who I contacted via email after some help from Paul.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=670304

Old 03-18-2004, 10:45 PM
New User

Default Re: Wiesco vs. Arias vs. Ross vs. JE vs. CP pistons. Who's the best? (Bob-DC2)

I would be very intrested in seeing the results from a test like this...

Out of curiousty, what's the lightest piston anyone here has ever seen?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bob-DC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

huh?
well thats pretty much wrong.
its like sayinga all valves are the same. coatings, skirt design, valve relief design, production tolerances and a bunch of other things all make a difference.

explain what you mean by "strength" of a piston?
success isnt a relative term. If I am going to shell out 400-700 bux for a set of pistons, i would want the best pistons that make the most power and will last the longest. not something that just lasts a while.

remember different pistons make different horsepower numbers. design DOES matter </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've seen an identical motor go thru 3 different brands of pistons and still make the exact same whp. I understand that there are design differences that do lead to power increases, but they are usually minor. For all-motor a stock cast piston is more then enough than you need. A forged is overkill, the only reason i run forged pistons is because there is no 13.2:1 85mm stock pistons.

As far as pistons, i've never had problems with ANY of the above brands. I have friends with Arias, JE, Wiseco, Ross pistons, and they've never had problems with any of them. I personally use Wiseco 12.3:1 Gas ported Super Dupers.

Old 03-19-2004, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wiesco vs. Arias vs. Ross vs. JE vs. CP pistons. Who's the best? (4gotpasswordAGAIN)

I have all motor/nitrous Arias forged flattop pistons. have had it for 20,000 miles i rev to aobut 8400 everyday in my LS. So far no problems here. i burn alittle oil, but i dont think my rings ever setted to well. other then that work great esp for hte stress i put on them
Old 03-19-2004, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wiesco vs. Arias vs. Ross vs. JE vs. CP pistons. Who's the best? (MaxBoost)

Sounds like there's a rivalry brewing between Arias and CP. Seems that both offer great engineered pistons and both offer outstanding customer support!

(Y'all can use my motor as a guinnie pig. its going to be a 90mm bore h22 A/M. Custom rod/piston set up of course. Make that bitch rev to 10K .)
Old 03-19-2004, 09:59 AM
Old Schooler

Default Re: Wiesco vs. Arias vs. Ross vs. JE vs. CP pistons. Who's the best? (MaxBoost)

One of our all motor guys runs a 91mm bore 195.7 on the gram scale. Honda H22
Old 03-19-2004, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Wiesco vs. Arias vs. Ross vs. JE vs. CP pistons. Who's the best? (TOM J)

If you are running forged pistons in a daily driver, how long will they last compared to a set of cast ones?
Old 03-19-2004, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Wiesco vs. Arias vs. Ross vs. JE vs. CP pistons. Who's the best? (BME1986)

I use Arias pistons exclusively. My constant experiments are hard on parts, but the longevity, engineering and precision of Arias pistons are second to none!

I am very critical of what parts I put in my engines, and Arias meets my stringent demands.

Their expertise and superior products have allow me to break numerous records with my unibody all motor vehicle...on gasoline, in an alcohol all motor world!
Old 03-19-2004, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Wiesco vs. Arias vs. Ross vs. JE vs. CP pistons. Who's the best? (Bisimoto)

CP Pistons has no rivalry with Arias, or any other piston company. I’m replying to this post to give CP a voice in this discussion. This is my first post ever on this board and I don’t want to be drawn into long rebuttals. CP uses a variety of vendors for forgings, some of our vendors do not supply piston forgings to any other company. Every one of our sales personnel has assembled engines and raced cars in some kind of format. We have been in business for just 6 years, but the Calvert brothers that started this company together have a wealth of experience spanning over 85 years combined. All of our sales personnel and a huge portion of our machinists came from other piston companies.

Moe Mills is the owner of Ross Pistons and he used to work for Arias, along with the Calvert brothers. Moe broke off from Arias along with another employee to start Ross. He left Arias to make a different piston, not the same pistons he had been making. Dave Calvert left Arias more than 14 years ago, and has been in the piston business for 32 years, this is not counting his brother’s experience. Just because you took auto shop in high school doesn’t mean your teacher can take credit for everything you know about cars now. Arias himself used to work at Venolia. So is Venolia the undisputed king of pistons?

I can assure you that I, along with the rest of our sales crew did not leave a job at a piston company, for another piston company to make an inferior part. I don’t mind if a shop is comfortable with a certain brand of piston or product. But you can’t claim it to be the best unless you have tested them against other brands. Not breaking is the first demand most people have of a piston, our customers require that along with more power. I don’t want to sit here and right a long list of the all big names we build pistons for. Some of these names run other brand stickers on their cars, that’s up to them, they paid full price for their pistons.

We have an awesome inspection room for all our high-end stuff (Nascar, IRL, etc.) We have the equipment and programming to measure all the dimensions. I’m more than interested in an independent test of our pistons because I already know the results. Nobody needs permission from any company to do this test, grab the pistons and go inspect them.

Darius Tarman
CP Pistons
Old 03-19-2004, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wiesco vs. Arias vs. Ross vs. JE vs. CP pistons. Who's the best? (Darius CP Pistons)

Welcome to Honda-Tech Darius!

Its always flattering to have the people who produce or deisgn the products we use, stop in and provide us with useful insight.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:32 PM

for the abuse and extreme cylinder pressure that we run in kennys car..just want to say that once we fixed our wrist pin problem (thanks to tom)weve NEVER had a problem with ARIAS pistons......your the man tom.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Wiesco vs. Arias vs. Ross vs. JE vs. CP pistons. Who's the best? (AL.RODD)

ARIAS...we use them exclusivly, from our Honda challenge cars to our big nasty supras. the ammount of abuse they can handle is astounding
add on toms knowledge and relentless improvment procedures...furgeddaboudit

TwinsTurbo Motorsports
Old 03-19-2004, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Wiesco vs. Arias vs. Ross vs. JE vs. CP pistons. Who's the best? (KOZ_infidel)

Gotta love how everyone's on Honda-Tech...

Darius, thanks for the T-shirts man. They have been very successful for me in picking up women...
Old 03-19-2004, 02:56 PM
Old Schooler

Default Re: Wiesco vs. Arias vs. Ross vs. JE vs. CP pistons. Who's the best? (Darius CP Pistons)

Darius you seem to know very little about your piston history. Let me help you out.
In 1953 Nick Arias and Bob Torros rented a small shop from Frank Venolia who was a die maker for waynes chevrolet. Venolia was not a business at this time. Early 1953 Nick Arias and Bob Torros filed for a business license in the name of Venolia pistons. A few years later they took on a partner Joe paisano.Together they made Venolia what it was. In 1967 Nick decided it was time to do his own thing. So this is how Arias became a piston manufacturer.

So if you need some more piston history feel free to ask Tom Jung.
I will post some pictures of the Venolia and Arias history for all to see.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:05 PM
Future Texas Boy

Default Re: Wiesco vs. Arias vs. Ross vs. JE vs. CP pistons. Who's the best? (Suprdave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Suprdave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Gotta love how everyone's on Honda-Tech...

Darius, thanks for the T-shirts man. They have been very successful for me in picking up women...</TD></TR></TABLE>

You brothas can take all the fat white chicks you want, Dave

Old 03-19-2004, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wiesco vs. Arias vs. Ross vs. JE vs. CP pistons. Who's the best? (vtecvoodoo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecvoodoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You brothas can take all the fat white chicks you want, Dave

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, you wish I was only bangin' the fat ones...
Old 03-19-2004, 03:26 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Wiesco vs. Arias vs. Ross vs. JE vs. CP pistons. Who's the best? (Suprdave)

so what is needed for this to actually happen?

im tired of the talk, and other stuff. because honestly guys most 19 year old punks could care less about grandpa so and so and who started what piston companie.

yeah it makes a differenc and its important, but its not the reason why people in the sport compact market buy pistons
Old 03-20-2004, 07:18 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TOM J &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Early 1953 Nick Arias and Bob Torros filed for a business license in the name of Venolia pistons. A few years later they took on a partner Joe paisano.Together they made Venolia what it was. In 1967 Nick decided it was time to do his own thing. So this is how Arias became a piston manufacturer. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Daruis CP Pistons &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Arias himself used to work at Venolia</TD></TR></TABLE>

Both you guys seem to know your SoCal piston history just fine.

Back to quality. One measure of preciseness is wieght. I got a set of CP's that I'll weigh right now.

I'll be back in a few minutes.

Modified by Rocket at 6:58 AM 3/21/2004
Old 03-20-2004, 07:33 PM

what do you guys think about the IB spec super duper pistons? how long would it probably last using it as an everyday car/weekend racer? can i still use it as an daily driven car?
Old 03-20-2004, 08:11 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (stockracing)

Custom CP Pistons - Wieght Measurments

I weighed my custom CP pistons for my high HP turbo motor in the works.

Maximum deviation from the average wieght was 0.55 grams . To give you guys a perspective, 1 sheet of Coscto brand paper towel weighs 2.6 grams! Breathing on this scale registers 0.2 grams.

These pistons are also pretty light for being beefy 82mm pistons with a special skirt design.

Disclamer: I am an advocate of CP Pistons and a major distributor. I chose them because I feel they are the best. So far so good.

Modified by Rocket at 5:41 AM 3/21/2004
Old 03-20-2004, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rocket)

Good info. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rocket)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rocket &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Custom CP Pistons - Wieght Measurments

I weighed my custom CP pistons for my high HP turbo motor in the works.

Maximum deviation from the average wieght was 0.55 grams . To give you guys a perspective, 1 sheet of Coscto brand paper towel weighs 2.6 grams! Breathing on this scale registers 0.2 grams.

These pistons are also pretty light for being beefy 82mm pistons with a special skirt design.

Disclamer: I am an advocate of CP Pistons and a major distributor. I chose them because I feel they are the best. So far so good.

Modified by Rocket at 5:41 AM 3/21/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>

Fuking Sweet pistons, then to the fingers.........ewwwwwwww. Makes a great product look nasty!!! Just messing rocket, Very Nice. I'll have pics of mines when they come in. Paul
Old 03-23-2004, 10:14 AM
Old Schooler

Default Re: Wiesco vs. Arias vs. Ross vs. JE vs. CP pistons. Who's the best? (Rocket)

I will set this up for everyone to see. I almost have all of the brands now. I need one more set.
Rocket you seem to know a gerat deal about CP why dont you give me a call so you can go with me to test all the brands 310-532-9737. Are you up for it.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:20 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Alrighty,

Let's set a place and date and I'll see if I can make it. I have some CP pistons I can bring with me. Anybody care to lend me some JE and Ross that would be coo too.

Thanks Tom.

Quick Reply: Wiesco vs. Arias vs. Ross vs. JE vs. CP pistons. Who's the best?