Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

What are the most reasonable power upgrade options for the B20B?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the most reasonable power upgrade options for the B20B?

After combing online, and not getting any concrete answers, would anyone like to share their thoughts on power adders to the B20b? I bought a motor from an importer and I pulled the valve cover and everything looks kosher so far. I'd like to squeeze some power out of this thing without completely rebuilding it. I'm confident I could build a vtec motor, but I would like to know of some options besides it since I'd like to get my car running back within the next few weekends. I read that aftermarket camshafts are a no go (as per the sticky in this thread) so...what are some of my other possible options? I have a GSR header, 2.5 header back, test pipe and a thermal r&d muffler. I've got a short ram ready and a decent filter. Am I up sh*t creek and stuck at this point without doing the vtec head or forced induction?

Thanks
Old 05-09-2017, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: What are the most reasonable power upgrade options for the B20B?

Where did you read cams are a no-go? ARP rod bolts, and Crower 403 cams wake these engines up nicely. I made north of 170whp with these cams. Also get yourself a short ratio B16/GSR/ITR tranny, that will make the biggest difference. The all motor LS/B20 thread in this forum has my dyno plots posted.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info! About the cams, it's on the "new members please read" sticks. First item down where the OP stated "own b20 pistons can NOT accept aftermarket camshafts...." So I wasn't sure since I'm new to Honda motors. Did you use adjustable cam gears in your build?
Old 05-10-2017, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hammontw
Thanks for the info! About the cams, it's on the "new members please read" sticks. First item down where the OP stated "own b20 pistons can NOT accept aftermarket camshafts...." So I wasn't sure since I'm new to Honda motors. Did you use adjustable cam gears in your build?
I think the point of the post (only guessing here since I didn't make it) is that, like any other build, you can't just swap some cams in and not check anything and start it up and race it.

Friend of mine makes 192whp with a b20 and a lightly ported p75 head. BC Stage 2 cams.

https://scontent-ord1-1.cdninstagram...31865638_n.jpg

He used to drive it on the street so it still runs on 93 but he's planning on going full race car with it after the end of the racing season with a ported p8r head, bigger cams, and methanol.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hammontw
Stock cam gears.