Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

What can I do more to stay street legal/smog legal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What can I do more to stay street legal/smog legal?

Just need some help building my car up...

Currently I have a 92 CX B18C1
DC Header (1pc 4-2-1)
Hollow CAT (so it looks legal but doesnt smell like it - easily can be changed)
AEM Intake
RSR ExMag Exhaust
Plugs/Wires

I have no clue what Ill be running on my quarters, but I just want more juice without going insane with the engine work. I definately want to try and keep it easy to smog so when that time comes, I dont need to stress about it.

What other things can I do to bump up the HP and Torque?

Will Port and Polish ruin anything for smog?

Heres what I had in mind but not sure if it will be okay to do...I just want to be as legal as possible, but decently quick. The goal is to keep it easy enough to smog my car with minimal work. (i.e. my Cat can easily bolt off and can mount a stock one - simple)

Port and Polish (if I can pass smog still - tuning it right of course)
Skunk2 Stage 2 Intake Cam or CTR Intake Cam
Skunk2 Cam Gears
Ported Intake Manifold with Matched Port Throttle Body
Changind Oil to Synthetic (Royal Purple)?????
New ECU?

Help me out please...an example of something I wouldnt want to do is bolt on an Intake Manifold...and have to unbolt it and replace it with a stock on again just to smog. If thats the case, then I wouldnt do it. All input is welcome...

Turbo even? Is there a direct bolt on for a 95 GSR Engine? Seems like everything is for OBDII.

Thanks!!!
Old 01-22-2006, 11:00 PM
hu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Cali, the best way to get good power and stay smog legal is to go with a turbo (IMO). Going NA is okay, but the whole smog thing restricts you. If you did go NA, I would get a good CAI, STR TB, a good IM (smog legal), hi flo cat, header and a p28 ecu with hondata or neptune.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (hu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In Cali, the best way to get good power and stay smog legal is to go with a turbo (IMO). Going NA is okay, but the whole smog thing restricts you. If you did go NA, I would get a good CAI, STR TB, a good IM (smog legal), hi flo cat, header and a p28 ecu with hondata or neptune.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The best way to stay smog legal is to not make permanent modifications to the engine. Get a good intake, cam, header, and a nice switchable ECU. If you put in some fat injectors, make sure you don't damage the originals, so you can swap them out for a smog test. A good port and polish will let the engine breathe alot better, do not modify the combustion chambers, because that will in fact change the c/r ratio and not all ECU's compensate very well for stoichiometric inefficiency.