Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Valve Guides (Portflow) and Valves (Supertech)...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Valve Guides (Portflow) and Valves (Supertech)...

Was starting to look thru all the parts i have.. and test fitted the guides and the valves.

1st. the bronze guides i have, the intake guides are shorter than the exhaust guides.

2nd. the guides in the "intake" labeled bag do not slide over the intake valves very easily...

Now, i've searched, read, asked all types of questions, it has never come up that guides had to be honed for valves to fit. So...I'm guessing the packaging on the guides are incorrect... right?

And, I've read that all the guides ar the same length/dimensions... my portflow bronze guides are not... which is right? the shorter guides for intake or exhaust?

I can provide pictures if this is confusing.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Valve Guides (Portflow) and Valves (Supertech)... (Driven)

You have the right guides and some guides need to be matched to the stem a little more than others. Any cylinder head guy can do that. Take your head to a pro.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:26 AM

Default Re: Valve Guides (Portflow) and Valves (Supertech)... (Driven)

Earl is correct you need to have the guides sized to fit the valves.My main question is don't you have a shop doing this work for you?There are many things that go into changing guides besides replacing them,like fitting them to the valve stems and a new valve job is required also.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Valve Guides (Ed's Racing Heads)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ed’s Racing Heads &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My main question is don't you have a shop doing this work for you?There are many things that go into changing guides besides replacing them,like fitting them to the valve stems and a new valve job is required also.</TD></TR></TABLE>
i'm gathering parts first, then plan on delivering the head/parts to a shop. just noticed the difference...