All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Valve Guides F20C - Honda S2000

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Guides F20C - Honda S2000

Hi,

I would like to know why the valve guides (especially on the exhaust side) often show excessive wear in the F20C and what would be the best way to adress this problem.

Are these valve materials also used in the S2000-engine?
In: stem= SUH11 Head=SUH35(EV-8)
Ex: Stem= SUH11 Head =NCF751 (Inconel based alloy)

What materials are used for the valve guides? The same for intake and exhaust? Does the exhaust side wear a lot more due to the higher temperatures?

What material do you guys recommend for valve guides?
I am not sure what to choose from the aftermarket, because nobody does really specify what they are using. I am thinking about using OEM-style valve guides with a different material.
Thank you for your help.

JagoBlitz
Old 02-23-2019, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Valve Guides F20C - Honda S2000

Hi. That’s not actual problem, instead normal wearing in every high revving engine, especially exhaust side. Exhaust valveguides are working much harsher conditions than intake. Temperature and its variation, exhaust gas particles. There’s also bigger stem to guide clearance already because of thermal expansion. So in that perspective, oe-guides are doing good job.
For the reasons I mentioned earlier, aftermarket bronzeguides are usually bit different alloys between exhaust and intake side. But we have to also remember that why bronzeguides are used and it is not longevity. They are softer but have better self-lubricating and thermal conduction qualities.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, OE-guides are doing a good job. But if i am going to replace them, I would like an upgrade if possible.
Especially the self-lubricating property of copper-alloys is a big advantage. And 20 years after the engine was designed there may be an alternative material available which combines the self-lubrication with sufficient hardness. Right now, I am thinking about using Toughmet 3.

So, what is the material that's originally used?
Old 02-24-2019, 02:07 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by JagoBlitz
Yes, OE-guides are doing a good job. But if i am going to replace them, I would like an upgrade if possible.
Especially the self-lubricating property of copper-alloys is a big advantage. And 20 years after the engine was designed there may be an alternative material available which combines the self-lubrication with sufficient hardness. Right now, I am thinking about using Toughmet 3.

So, what is the material that's originally used?
steel guides. And if you want this tip lay keep with the original style. Do not use bronze. You'll complain more later
Old 02-24-2019, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
steel guides. And if you want this tip lay keep with the original style. Do not use bronze. You'll complain more later
Does anybody know the specific alloy?

"Steel" and "bronze" can basically mean anything...
Old 02-25-2019, 12:50 PM

Does anybody know the specific alloy?

"Steel" and "bronze" can basically mean anything...
hehe.. sure. Contact Honda r&d or get a guide and have it analyzed if it's that deep to you. No one is going to know that alloy off-hand. (Low probability).

we just don't go that far down the rabbit hole of metallugy like in years past. But i wish you luck.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
hehe.. sure. Contact Honda r&d or get a guide and have it analyzed if it's that deep to you. No one is going to know that alloy off-hand. (Low probability).

we just don't go that far down the rabbit hole of metallugy like in years past. But i wish you luck.
I was hoping that somebody might know...where did somebody get the names of the specific alloys for the valves? Or is this information just a guess? What is the source?
Old 02-26-2019, 09:20 PM

I was hoping that somebody might know...where did somebody get the names of the specific alloys for the valves? Or is this information just a guess? What is the source?
You have to find out for yourself to answer those, sir. And it won't be an answer found in a google search, or Wiki. Again, too far down the rabbit hole.

This is where us old schoolers would get an actual guide and get some analysis performed