Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Troubleshooting: B18C1/5 fuel cutting out, No codes present

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshooting: B18C1/5 fuel cutting out, No codes present

Motor is a GSR bottom end with 81.5MM weisco pistons should be 11.7-1 ish.
ITR head, Exhaust manifold, intake manifold, B16 Tb and B16 Cams.
Its in a 99 civic coupe (EX) running on a ITR OBD2A ecu with a jumper harness.

Last year it was a stock B16A2 and OBD1 P30 ECU, worked great. We changed the motor to bump up a class RoadRacing.
Now It works great for a few laps then starts to cut out at random. Just goes Flat, No power, no Odd noises. (helmet on and it dumps exhaust at the RR, so some noises are hard to hear)
In May we ran the P30 ECU and just chalked it up to too much Comp for the ECU, Figured it was just pulling timing.
So we figured once the ITR ECU was in all would be good. June race weekend we had the ITR ecu in with the new jumper harness and the same thing, goes really well for a few laps then falls off.
I ran it for a bunch of laps and it would happen in random corners. Guarantied to happen within the first few seconds of getting back on the gas. Then goes flat, then after a second, normal again. Might do it 2-3 laps in a row in 1 corner then go and do it somewhere else.
We did throw 2 ALT belts last weekend as well, need to sort that out, but the alt feels fine and i tried moving the crank in and out and it all seemed good.

We have no codes. My plan is to swap to another distributor, swap out the Knock sensor for the one off the B16 from last year, as we know its good. Check the fuel pump and Check all wiring for the engine. Its a D-series harness that we turned into a B-series VTEC harness, worked great last year.
Would it be a bad idea to wire the fuel pump to a 12V feed from a switch on the dash? eliminating the Power supply relay.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:19 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Default re: Troubleshooting: B18C1/5 fuel cutting out, No codes present

Could be any number of sensors or wires giving a bad signal to the ecu. I might start with TPS, ECT, and IAT. Or invest in a system such as Hondata so you can log all your sensor readings and troubleshoot much more easily. Of course then you would need an obd1 ecu and conversion harness.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pretty much the game we are going to try. The TB and IACV were both from the B16 we ran last year in the car. I plan to do a bunch of testing over the next few weeks but we are going to register for the lapping day prior to the next raceday. So we should have good time on Sat to work on it and hopefully sort it out. We both want to go Hondata over next winter. last winter was motor rebuilds.
Like to get some data from my DelSol racecar. Both cars are Detuned for the bracket class we race in. Both have either B17 or B16 cams and TBs on ITR motors. And for me its not enough, need some weight now. Broke out last weekend. Still tring to sort the Civic out but it should be fast once this hic-up is sorted.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

My TPS was causing weird cut outs on the street at low part throttle cruising, no codes or anything, I thought it was a lean spike, logs that I took with Hondata showed 0% throttle like I was letting off the gas pedal. Put a new one on and it seems to be fixed.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We didn't find anything yet. Went to check the timing and either we have way way way to much timing or the junk timing light i keep at home F'ed off. Found the fuel tank was seeping on the bottom. So pulled the tank off yesterday. didn't want a bunch of gas leaking out in my garage.
hopfully get back at it later this week once i have a good tank for it.

Last edited by TheShodan; 07-10-2018 at 10:54 AM.