All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Touge Monster - H23A VTEC EG6 by RGHTBrainDesign

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Touge Monster - H23A VTEC EG6 by RGHTBrainDesign

Originally Posted by OGNAEG
So, just curious your decision making process on going H2B. Took a 20 year hiatus since my last hatch and just looking at different options in terms of swaps. Done my fair share of B's over the years and just curious your thoughts.
Torque.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

So, just curious your decision making process on going H2B. Took a 20 year hiatus since my last hatch and just looking at different options in terms of swaps. Done my fair share of B's over the years and just curious your thoughts.
Cost effective and pound for pound a good alternative to a NA K24 swap. Being able to utilize a B series transmission is great too, of course.

As you can tell in his pictures though, it's a tight fit.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chance EG
Cost effective and pound for pound a good alternative to a NA K24 swap. Being able to utilize a B series transmission is great too, of course.

As you can tell in his pictures though, it's a tight fit.
Tight fit? Not really. The shock tower was hit previously by a motor mount that wasn't installed properly.

I much prefer a B-Series Transmission to the K offering. Clutch is B-Series and cheap. Pilot bearing area on crank snout needs modified, but otherwise it's all B-Series Driveline with nothing crazy out of the way. Rice Brough is awesome. His kit and K to H Intake Manifold adapter made this whole thing a breeze.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Chance EG, I'll do some searching and digging around. I am sure there is lots of topics on the K vs H2B here just need to search them out. But it was sort of what I was trying to get at. Was looking to do something new on the EG since I've worked on my fair share of B's in the past.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would have to say that H-Series is cheaper in stock trim, but getting it all properly swapped and built NA, the k24 is actually a more economical swap. Downside being a less tactile cable shift linkage transmission.

I prefer my setup due to timing belt, cam gears, etc all still being manual labor to adjust. It's just a more raw experience that teaches you more about the internals of engine construction, design, and tuning. The K-Series is refined and FAR easier to tune efficiently with power, almost zero compromise (VTC ftw!).
Old 03-21-2019, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Biggest problem with the H, in my opinion/experience, is the FRM sleeves (which I think is what you were getting at). Can't reliably put in aftermarket pistons without sleeving the engine, and once you consider the cost of an H2B kit/swap plus the cost of sleeving, as you said, a K24 becomes more economical. The choice between H2B or K just depends, as everything does, on what the ultimate intent and goal of the car is.

Good steel shift cables with spherical bearings can help the shifter feel significantly, along with a good shifter box. Huge improvement over the OEM, makes it feel almost identical to the B linkage.

I'll stop derailing things now. This is a great build, and I'm glad to hear it's effective at doing what you love and that you enjoy driving it.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 03-22-2019, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For anyone wanting a similar Oil Cooler setup, I could probably build you one...

Good oil coolers aren't cheap.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Is your block sleeved or are you still using the frm sleeves?
What advantages do you feel your k series manifold have versus aftermarket k series manifolds and h series manifolds?
Old 03-23-2019, 02:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by scottcraft
Is your block sleeved or are you still using the frm sleeves?
What advantages do you feel your k series manifold have versus aftermarket k series manifolds and h series manifolds?
This is still a relatively LOW compression setup and would love boost if I had the room for it. - It's the factory FRM Sleeves with seemingly zero oil burning. Given the fact that I had to run a thicker headgasket, I'd say I'm around 10.2:1 Compression with this RLZ Head. I have about 1000mi on the Civic since we threw it all together and tomorrow will be the first time draining the catch can. Cold start, hot start, etc are always clear of any coloration, and my tuning on the motor without IACV is good enough to where remote start works any time of year due to proper ignition, intake temp, and coolant temp compensation tables.

Ahh, well, I went from a Hybrid H22 Prelude setup with IAB and IACV on the head side (for clearance issues), right into the CTR RRC w/ added plenum volume (0.35L) to somewhat match the displacement for the engine and maximize length within the engine bay. The setup also jumped from 64mm OEM TB to 72mm KTuned Billet TB, so again, none of my experiences were apples to apples here. My buddy Elvis Lee (SBSPerformance) could tell you that the Ultra Series (K-Series) whoops some serious ***, but my favorite all-motor canyon setup would likely be 90mm KTuned TB + RBC + Added Plenum Volume. I went with 72mm for better throttle control as I'm not seeking power so much as control.

What I did learn was that drivability has not suffered, but that came hand in hand with learning to tune the car every few days over the last year. There are thousands of Hondata saves for this configuration, but I'm still not perfectly content. I'll get drunk and bust out the laptop once I throw on the new TB tomorrow and figure out ideal transient fueling from idle to 3k, which is really where I'm least refined out of everything. That's where I can tell you if I think the IAB setup actually had more torque (it doesn't).

Overall, this configuration is netting me an average of 26mpg mixed driving with Bay Area traffic, 85mph highway driving, and some tire roasting fun. I have a good 4-5mpg improvement on the way once I refine that hanging idle and lean out transient fueling. In the canyons, I'm hoping to have 22mpg. Really doesn't go lower than 20, even if I'm constantly beating on it. Gotta love the efficiency of it all.

Last edited by RGHTBrainDesign; 03-23-2019 at 03:14 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a request to show off the Denjis, so here we go...

Just put on these Vision replica corner lights and they're terrible... The bulbs will fall right out. *Facepalm*

Anyways, I figured out a nice pattern for the headlights, but I just need to refine the High Beams (give them LEDs or HIDs and AIM them properly!) and add another relay so I can do "flash to pass" without disabling the low beam. Both of these lights on together are a force to be reckoned with.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RGHTBrainDesign
This is still a relatively LOW compression setup and would love boost if I had the room for it. - It's the factory FRM Sleeves with seemingly zero oil burning. Given the fact that I had to run a thicker headgasket, I'd say I'm around 10.2:1 Compression with this RLZ Head. I have about 1000mi on the Civic since we threw it all together and tomorrow will be the first time draining the catch can. Cold start, hot start, etc are always clear of any coloration, and my tuning on the motor without IACV is good enough to where remote start works any time of year due to proper ignition, intake temp, and coolant temp compensation tables.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvhHOS6Rg34

Ahh, well, I went from a Hybrid H22 Prelude setup with IAB and IACV on the head side (for clearance issues), right into the CTR RRC w/ added plenum volume (0.35L) to somewhat match the displacement for the engine and maximize length within the engine bay. The setup also jumped from 64mm OEM TB to 72mm KTuned Billet TB, so again, none of my experiences were apples to apples here. My buddy Elvis Lee (SBSPerformance) could tell you that the Ultra Series (K-Series) whoops some serious ***, but my favorite all-motor canyon setup would likely be 90mm KTuned TB + RBC + Added Plenum Volume. I went with 72mm for better throttle control as I'm not seeking power so much as control.

What I did learn was that drivability has not suffered, but that came hand in hand with learning to tune the car every few days over the last year. There are thousands of Hondata saves for this configuration, but I'm still not perfectly content. I'll get drunk and bust out the laptop once I throw on the new TB tomorrow and figure out ideal transient fueling from idle to 3k, which is really where I'm least refined out of everything. That's where I can tell you if I think the IAB setup actually had more torque (it doesn't).

Overall, this configuration is netting me an average of 26mpg mixed driving with Bay Area traffic, 85mph highway driving, and some tire roasting fun. I have a good 4-5mpg improvement on the way once I refine that hanging idle and lean out transient fueling. In the canyons, I'm hoping to have 22mpg. Really doesn't go lower than 20, even if I'm constantly beating on it. Gotta love the efficiency of it all.
That's pretty interesting. I don't know if I'll ever do it but I'd love to go h2b with a h23a with an g23 crank and see if I could hit 300whp. That would be so fun with the torque.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Today I finished up the 72mm TB Install w/ IACV, different catch can/vent configuration, started fresh on the tune, and adjusted the Denjis to be MUCH better.

High Beams

Low Beams
Old 03-24-2019, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

Nice build RGHTBrianDesign

That's pretty interesting. I don't know if I'll ever do it but I'd love to go h2b with a h23a with an g23 crank and see if I could hit 300whp. That would be so fun with the torque.
H23A and the internet famous "G23" use the same crank. It's also the same crank found in the not so famous SOHC F22A/B....:0.

There is an actual G series Honda engine though. It is an inline 5 that came with a 2.0L or 2.5L displacement. In that case, nether of the G20A or G25A cranks will fit in an I4 H23A.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
Nice build RGHTBrianDesign

H23A and the internet famous "G23" use the same crank. It's also the same crank found in the not so famous SOHC F22A/B....:0.

There is a G series Honda engine though. It is an inline 5 block that came in ether a 2.0L or 2.5L displacement. In that case, nether of the G20A or G25A cranks will fit in an I4 H23.
Until now I didn't notice that I'd put g23 by mistake, oops. I meant F23. That crank fits the H23A doesn't it?
Old 03-24-2019, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

Until now I didn't notice that I'd put g23 by mistake, oops. I meant F23. That crank fits the H23A doesn't it?
All good

The 97mm F23A crank has 55mm main journals, so if I am not mistaken it will fit the JDM H23A VTEC. However, it will not fit the US H23A1 with 50mm mains, at least not without line boring the mains anyway.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Had another breakthrough on the Hondata tuning this evening and resealed my cowling for the 5th time...

Old 03-27-2019, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just a quick update with where this car is headed:
  • KW V3s Finally Shipped from Germany
  • ASR 1" Swaybar - 3/29
  • Front HardRace LCAs w/ Moog Outer Tie Rods (ESM Race are NOT an upgrade IMO) - 3/29
  • Final Cowling Installation w/ New Honda Clips and an additional leading edge lip to compensate for shrunken cowling - 3/29
  • Alignment - 3/29
  • Prep Interior, Shave Expandable Foam from Previous Owner, and Sound Deadening Paint & Sound Deadening - 3/30
  • Headunit and Audison Prima Components - 3/30
  • 13.5 Gallon Gas Tank Upgrade - 4/5
  • Extended Front Fender Brackets and Fender Rolling - 4/6
  • Carpet Installation - 4/12
  • Install KW V3s and Alignment - 4/13
  • Final Prep Before Roadtrip with Damper Setting Optimization - 4/19
  • Picking Up Black Interior in LA and Bachelor Party Roadtrip - 4/26

Bachelor Party Roadtrip

https://binged.it/2JNOeJg

Last edited by RGHTBrainDesign; 03-28-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

#DidItForTheGram

Soon... Who doesn't love building positive pressure on an NA setup?! 🤣😂🤣
Old 03-29-2019, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice pic of the ride <thumbsup> on a side note what are your plans for the fuel tank upgrade you mentioned above?
I've been looking around and was interested in the FCS 5 gallon tank as a replacement to mine curious if you've looked into this (maybe the capacity isn't ideal for you) or what you might have found out there...

thanks man!
Old 03-29-2019, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice pic of the ride <thumbsup> on a side note what are your plans for the fuel tank upgrade you mentioned above?
I've been looking around and was interested in the FCS 5 gallon tank as a replacement to mine curious if you've looked into this (maybe the capacity isn't ideal for you) or what you might have found out there...

thanks man!
Went on the Fuelly sites and figured out that the 13.5 Gallon "H09 Spectra" tank was in fact a bolt-in swap, so going from 10 Gallon Capacity to 13.5 Gallon is going to be a nice upgrade for all the roadtripping this car is going to get.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah figured you were driving it some distance to keep the storage that high. I was planning on the opposite and looking into weigh savings while upgrading the entire car since its really old and was from a rust state (Ohio). So far the only one I really found was the FCS unit 5 gallon tank, think it weighs like 8lbs or something like that. Trying to get this puppy as light as possible during this restoration build process. Think their 7 gallon tank is like 11lbs but they want $800 for it. Seems like the factory replacement ones can be had for under $200 bucks too. Also got rust around the fuel intake section of the tank under the rear quarter so tossing the idea of getting a tank re-routing too without doing the labor for fixing it....**** doesn't end...
Old 03-29-2019, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah figured you were driving it some distance to keep the storage that high. I was planning on the opposite and looking into weigh savings while upgrading the entire car since its really old and was from a rust state (Ohio). So far the only one I really found was the FCS unit 5 gallon tank, think it weighs like 8lbs or something like that. Trying to get this puppy as light as possible during this restoration build process. Think their 7 gallon tank is like 11lbs but they want $800 for it. Seems like the factory replacement ones can be had for under $200 bucks too. Also got rust around the fuel intake section of the tank under the rear quarter so tossing the idea of getting a tank re-routing too without doing the labor for fixing it....**** doesn't end...
Yeah, this is my daily. Longer fill intervals is what matters.

Think about it this way, pump gas weighs about 6.3lbs per gallon. You're not saving much weight. Don't kill yourself over it... Just drop in a Spectra H09 like what I picked up and extend capacity to 51L (13.5 Gallons).

Today was successful.
MOOG Tie Rods, Hardrace Front LCAs, ASR 1" Rear Swaybar, adjusted door strikers, inspected all front suspension, and centered steering rack.

Plenty more to do tomorrow, but I'm feeling ahead of schedule considering how good the car drives after everything.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How long before you have a driving video? Your car looks really nice.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How long before you have a driving video? Your car looks really nice.
I can do a showcase video of the car this weekend after I do the new muffler and fix a subframe thread that went bad on the steering rack.

The whole trip down to LA/Big Bear is going to get filmed on various action cameras and such, and I'll throw down some fun vlog content if I get the chance. Epic Driving Roads, here we come!

Thank you for the compliment. She's running better than ever too. If I have time before the trip, I'll rent out some dyno time and really find MBT throughtout the map on this unique setup.

Quick Reply: Touge Monster - H23A VTEC EG6 by RGHTBrainDesign