All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Toda Spec Cs

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toda Spec Cs

Hey guys,

I've been searching and searching and I'm sure there is more information that I have yet to find but I cant seem to find a consensus on my question.

I have just bought a 2000 JDM ITR motor and am planning on running it in my EG. The car is not daily driven and is an autocross and track car. The car will run on 94 octane. The motor is stock bottom end with some bolt-ons. The car came with Toda Spec Cs and is poorly tuned. The head has upgraded valvetrain, a 3-angle valve job, and some portmatching.

My question is it possible to make good power (looking for an honest 200whp) with the Toda Spec Cs on stock JDM ITR pistons or is this just way too much cam for the (relatively) low compression?

If I am to get rid of them, how do we feel about Pro 1s for my application?

Thank you in advance,
Mark
Old 06-04-2009, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Toda Spec Cs

Originally Posted by lowside67
Hey guys,

I've been searching and searching and I'm sure there is more information that I have yet to find but I cant seem to find a consensus on my question.

I have just bought a 2000 JDM ITR motor and am planning on running it in my EG. The car is not daily driven and is an autocross and track car. The car will run on 94 octane. The motor is stock bottom end with some bolt-ons. The car came with Toda Spec Cs and is poorly tuned. The head has upgraded valvetrain, a 3-angle valve job, and some portmatching.

My question is it possible to make good power (looking for an honest 200whp) with the Toda Spec Cs on stock JDM ITR pistons or is this just way too much cam for the (relatively) low compression?

If I am to get rid of them, how do we feel about Pro 1s for my application?

Thank you in advance,
Mark
Hey dood,

The Toda C's are probably too much for stock compression as Toda recommends at least 12:1 compression with those cams (i think, check the Toda website).

Unless you wanna build the motor around those cams, you may be better off selling them for some Skunk2's. The Toda's are kinda 'oldschool' now, but power has been made on them if you check the dyno thread up top.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey I see you're in Vancouver too!

Anyways, the plan is stock bottom end for awhile so I'm thinking I should pull the Todas and run some Pro 1s.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Mark,

I went and looked at these cams their local and they are brand new, he wants a bit much but it is not a bad price if he still has them, however you may have another source. The guys name is Jeremy, he would not move on his price but you my have stronger persuasive powers than me!

http://www.vancouvercivics.com/forum....php?tid=84750

Last edited by DB2-R81; 06-04-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey I see you're in Vancouver too!

Anyways, the plan is stock bottom end for awhile so I'm thinking I should pull the Todas and run some Pro 1s.
looks like a vancouver party in this thread!

you're probably better off trying to sell the Toda's, but it'll be tough locally as you've probably noticed that people are cheap asses. You may have some better luck on the HT classifieds.

i thought about the Pro1's as well, but i still think that the Pro1 may be too much cam for your motor. i could be wrong though.

i'm using Toda B's in my stock ITR bottom and i'm stumped as to why i'm making no power at the moment.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well from what I've read Skunk2 Stage 1 isnt really much of an upgrade at all over the JDM ITR cams that were stock in my car. Skunk2 Stage 2 is supposed to be similar at the top end to the Pro 1 while the Pro 1 makes more power pre-VTEC due to much larger primaries. This isnt great for a DD as it equates to a lumpy idle etc, but my car is just a track car so I can probably live with that.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well from what I've read Skunk2 Stage 1 isnt really much of an upgrade at all over the JDM ITR cams that were stock in my car. Skunk2 Stage 2 is supposed to be similar at the top end to the Pro 1 while the Pro 1 makes more power pre-VTEC due to much larger primaries. This isnt great for a DD as it equates to a lumpy idle etc, but my car is just a track car so I can probably live with that.
The primaries on the Toda B and C are fairly large already if that's what you're looking for.

Skunk2 Stage2 sounds like it may be a good option for you. Pro1's are more than just a 'drop-in' cam as you probably know Btw, i'm sure you know this already but it may be a good idea to degree the cams in before you start tuning (unless you have a lot of money to burn on dyno time and know your valve to valve clearance as well).

it took a friend and me a few hours to degree my Toda's in. i'm glad i did cuz we found true center line to be +1 and +5.

who are you getting to tune your car? local shop?
Old 06-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Garage 5 will do the cam install, degreeing, and tuning.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Garage 5 will do the cam install, degreeing, and tuning.
good stuff dood

keep us posted after the new cams go in (depending what you decide to go with of course!).
Old 06-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do I need an S300 to extract the power out of this motor or will an S100 suffice?
Old 06-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do I need an S300 to extract the power out of this motor or will an S100 suffice?

talk to Wayne at Garage5. He will answer that question best as he will be your tuner