Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Im sick of the NOISE!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im sick of the NOISE!

I need to make an exhaust that isn't obnoxiously loud and unbearable...Im looking to get back to close to stock sounding and I don't really care how much I have to spend to do it....but I dont want a lot of restriction....an off the shelf catback won't do....i have a DTR header and its too long...my current APEXi's mid pipe has been hacked to **** by some **** *** exhaust shop to make it work....no cat....I want a hi-flow cat and a good resonator and a good quiet muffler, but the combo can't make too much restriction....anybody have any suggestions?

Dave
Old 10-10-2004, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Im sick of the NOISE! (Surubasi00)

Yeah, your exhaust is pretty ridiculously loud.
You could just get an exhaust like I used to have.

Gina
Old 10-10-2004, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Im sick of the NOISE! (unEZrider)

i know how you feel man, here is what i plan on doing:

kteller catback kit , 2.5" ~$235
hytech muffler - $300 but it IS worth it
Old 10-10-2004, 10:13 AM
Banned

Default Re: Im sick of the NOISE! (SkRiBLaH)

Get a 2 chamber Dynomax or Magnaflow for under $50... They are nice and quiet. If you're worried about restriction they both make straight through design oval mufflers too.. but it may be a litte louder. Why waste $300 on a muffler..
Old 10-10-2004, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Im sick of the NOISE! (unEZrider)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by unEZrider &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, your exhaust is pretty ridiculously loud.
You could just get an exhaust like I used to have.

Gina</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh yeah...and what kind of exhaust is that ms unEZrider...
Old 10-10-2004, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Im sick of the NOISE! (4dr_GS-R)

she had a greddy evo...was pretty quiet, im looking for similar sound...oh and the reason she doesn have it anymore is because her car got stolen BTW she is my wife, and you know that , so you ignorant *** use Mrs. not ms. thanks, have a shitty day
Dave

Modified by Surubasi00 at 3:16 AM 10/11/2004
Old 10-10-2004, 09:04 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

The most quiet exhaust I have ever heard was an RS*R.

My 2 cents
Old 10-10-2004, 09:38 PM

try the edelbock rpm series muffler known to quiet down any exhaust system and still flows as good as most straight thru designs.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:04 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Surubasi00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I need to make an exhaust that isn't obnoxiously loud and unbearable...Im looking to get back to close to stock sounding and I don't really care how much I have to spend to do it....but I dont want a lot of restriction....an off the shelf catback won't do....i have a DTR header and its too long...my current APEXi's mid pipe has been hacked to **** by some **** *** exhaust shop to make it work....no cat....I want a hi-flow cat and a good resonator and a good quiet muffler, but the combo can't make too much restriction....anybody have any suggestions?
Dave</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think you got urself soem contradiction

*no cat even with resonator is always loud as heck and most of the time it sounds nasty
*high flow cats are noisy...
*Greddy muffler is quite...evo2 i think, im using it....sound nice too...the look is up[ to you
*quite exhaust need to run stock path
*with high flow cat you want to have a long resonator....at least 16" not including it tips and back, but kindda shaggy...
*N1 muffler looks nice and sound nice quite too
*go mandrel bend, but this will reduce 33% of backpressure over all....and increase at least 20% air flow w/out restriction...
*all welding must be outside of the whole exhaust pipes....no inside...if welding inside it will cause air turbulance which is bad..
*try to tell the muffler shop to reduce as much welding as possible....
*there must be no leak at all cost..
*pipe must no too big for your engine's hp potential ex) stock gsr runing 3" exhaust

*i dont know how good is DTR headers are...but loudeness of exhaust system also affected by header flow too...

well taht much i can think of for quite system with less restriction if you found any of them kindda nonsense to you skip it...

i did my exhaust piping custom 2.5" with cat + resonator ....mandrel bend...Type R header...gredddy evo2 muffler ....sound sweet quite...70% sound almost like 350z serios of nissan and infinity
Old 10-11-2004, 12:05 AM

Default Re: Im sick of the NOISE! (yeegsr)

one mistake i said earlier ....the N1 muffler is kindda shaggy due to its size...if your is low you might want to avoid it
Old 10-11-2004, 12:14 AM

uh.......
Old 10-11-2004, 01:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yeegsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i think you got urself soem contradiction

*no cat even with resonator is always loud as heck and most of the time it sounds nasty
*high flow cats are noisy...
*Greddy muffler is quite...evo2 i think, im using it....sound nice too...the look is up[ to you
*quite exhaust need to run stock path
*with high flow cat you want to have a long resonator....at least 16" not including it tips and back, but kindda shaggy...
*N1 muffler looks nice and sound nice quite too
*go mandrel bend, but this will reduce 33% of backpressure over all....and increase at least 20% air flow w/out restriction...
*all welding must be outside of the whole exhaust pipes....no inside...if welding inside it will cause air turbulance which is bad..
*try to tell the muffler shop to reduce as much welding as possible....
*there must be no leak at all cost..
*pipe must no too big for your engine's hp potential ex) stock gsr runing 3" exhaust

*i dont know how good is DTR headers are...but loudeness of exhaust system also affected by header flow too...

well taht much i can think of for quite system with less restriction if you found any of them kindda nonsense to you skip it...

i did my exhaust piping custom 2.5" with cat + resonator ....mandrel bend...Type R header...gredddy evo2 muffler ....sound sweet quite...70% sound almost like 350z serios of nissan and infinity</TD></TR></TABLE>

whoa whoa buddy read your post before you post.... that made almost no sense to me. As for an n1 muffler being quite, i would say HELL NO. Surubasi00 get 2.5 from the header back as you already know, find a decent size resonator thats 2.5 ID and run 2.5 dynomax magnaflow muffler its pretty quite. But sometimes they have a slight rasp, you could also try the edelbrock rpm series i think it is like someone else suggested they are pretty quite. I have done a few ES mufflers they arent to bad either. JUST stay away from the bling bling JDM n1 style cans cuz there just plain loud on an all motor car.

EDIT: As for high flow cats and resonators make it sound nasty and loud.... please, do you think they put it in there to make more sound..... why do you think factory cars have them. So they are quite for the 95% of the market out there that DOESNT want a loud car
Old 10-13-2004, 01:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When it comes to having an exhaust that is both quiet AND free-flowing, Greddy is second to none.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Im sick of the NOISE! (StorminMatt)

you guys are spelling QUITE!!! QUIT - E!!

its <FONT SIZE="10">QUIET</FONT>
Old 10-13-2004, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkRiBLaH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you guys are spelling QUITE!!! QUIT - E!!

its <FONT SIZE="10">QUIET</FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

my bad...... classic HT hammer time on me
Old 10-13-2004, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

kteller 2.5" exhaust get a 2.5" high flow cat also and a 2.5" resonator. they only have 14" resonators in SS but you can get them up to 22" i think in mild. as far as the muffler i have a 2.5" magnaflow (i also have all the stuff i listed above, havent installed the resonator yet) and the magnaflow muffler sounds good but ive heard better. (not for under 100 bux though like the magnaflow) you can try and get a twin loop or similar if you want real quiet.... i wouldnt recommend a "bolt on" since your gonna have to hack it up to fit your header and they have factory bottle necks anyway.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Im sick of the NOISE! (JCushing)

the setup im using is pretty quiet, not too pricey either. 2.5 inch piping, 2.5 dynomax ultraflow muffler and a 2.5 inch resonator. with out the resonator tho its horrible. imagine a bunch of angry bees flying after your car....
Old 10-13-2004, 03:28 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkRiBLaH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know how you feel man, here is what i plan on doing:

kteller catback kit , 2.5" ~$235
hytech muffler - $300 but it IS worth it
</TD></TR></TABLE>

buy a hytech exhaust for 700 in the beggining tig welded plus u get a resonator. ime hearing that they might even give u a cat not sure thou.

the new smsp system contains of two resonators because he wants them in stainless isntead of mild. but im thinking one 22" one would be lighter than two in the system. the muffler type and length also matters.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can you buy no name twin loop mufflers over there?
i managed to source one that i am very happy with, the brand is called xforce... i don't know if you can find it stateside though. it's a 2.5" muffler and i'm running a single resonator and high-flow cat- 90.8dB. which is a pretty fuxxing good effort for a 2.5" custom made straight through system.
imo, the aural quality is excellent, gruff note at wot and very bearable for everyday driving. i very rarely use the silencer, but with it on the noise level is barely higher than stock.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:57 AM

i saw on some magazine twin loop looked exactly like mugen twin loop it even had the two rings around the tip but it had their own name on it. i saw the ad on one of those ricer magazines.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:46 AM

DC Sports and Mugen both made mugen.. Apex-i worldsport is quiet as well as GReddy SP.

When your on the dyno or at the track - pull the B pipe.. I'm a big fan of stock ITR exhaust myself.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Drag_On)

what i did ....just a suggestion,,

i'm running a jdm 4-1 header(not saying use this header but for example cause stock cat wont cut it as with your header),
highflow 2.5" CARSOUND cat,
custom 2.5" mandrel bent piping, with the biggest fattest aftermarket muffler i could find....The super hyper medallion muffler. I was looking for the G power medallion but no luck.
i used the just the rear section from the Hyper medallion catback designed for my car. got the REAL nice piece off ebay for like $100...practically new. the xhaust would be the sickest deepest quietest exhaust youd ever hear but like someone said before...highflow cats are noisy. the exhaust itself sounds nice, but the cat makes a sound like it has a leak but it doesnt..weird.
in my experience..3rd exhaust on this car....use the biggest high flow muffler you can get to fit under there. the more packing, the quiter it will get and stay.
oh..i'm not even using a resonator and its real nice. i imagine with a 2.5" resonator it would be like stock. nice!
Old 10-21-2004, 08:17 PM

Default Re: (1meanB18c5civic)

sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but I just got me a 14 inch magnaflow resonator. I for one also was experiencing mad noise and raspiness that I hardly enjoy my car but after purchasing the resonator it made a big difference. The sound has probably dropped 10db or so just an estimate of mine but it is for sure a day and night difference. The sound now is a deep mellow tone without the raspiness it lowered the noise so much that I could now here the intake sucking air...

My set-up now is 2.5 mandrel piping a matrix muffler ,magnaflow resonator ,jdmdc, and a gutted cat, yes a gutted cat that I will be replacing soon with a T1r resonated testpipe.

The only thing I miss from my old set-up is when your at full throttle and vtec kicks in , it sounds vicious.

peace
judd

Old 10-21-2004, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SioneSi)

Im worried about this too. So I just ordered a 2.5 carsound cat, a 22 inch resonator from K-teller and some cheap 2.5 in/out muffler from Ebay. Its the kind thats looks like a chamber and the inlet is offset from the outlet pipe so its not just a straight through pipe, which would obviously be loud. Anyway, the more resonators the better, if you can fit 2 resonators down there it will help out more.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:58 PM

Default Re: (Mentat Ghola)

My exhaust sounds like a 4 banger version of a 350Z.

Its 2.5'' piping, two straight through resonators (one is a "cat") and a dynomax chambered muffler. It flows well enough for 300HP Stangs and Maro's, I figured it flows well enough for a 160hp 4.

The exhaust form inside my car is just BARELY louder than stock at cruising, and it has a unique scream to it at WOT . I would recommend it to anyone without hesitation.

Ill never go back to a straight through muffler after hearing how good a 4cyl can sound with this setup.

It cost me a total of $128, including the small tip.

Quick Reply: Im sick of the NOISE!