Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Is there any advantage to using an ITR OBD2a ECU on a B18C1 Engine/ GS-R Camshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there any advantage to using an ITR OBD2a ECU on a B18C1 Engine/ GS-R Camshaft?

I recently bought a freshly rebuild b18C1 im swapping into my EK hatch. The hatch had a d16y8 in it OBD2a and the GSR motor is OBD2a.

When i got the motor i ended up ordering a ITR header and a skunk 2 Intake Mani, the motor is fully built except rods basically at stock compression (port polished, bearings, seals, apr studs, pistons/rings, new head). The more i read about the motor the more i feel like the skunk 2 mani was a pointless upgrade, as the car wont be tuned for it. My question is, can i get a ITR OBD2a ECU (P73 i believe), and would it help? Or would i need ITR cams to make that setup ideal? i really don't want to use a obd1 jumper and P28 setup if i can just buy a oem ecu and plug n play. Should i just install the motor with the factory IM and wire the secondary butterflies into my harness and call er a day?

Looking for advice before i put the motor in, just cleared my engine bay yesterday so its basically ready to go in at this point.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Is there any advantage to using an ITR OBD2a ECU on a B18C1 Engine/ GS-R Camshaf

I don't really feel the skunk2 manifold was a pointless upgrade. It will out perform the factory manifold. May not be noticeable, but once you start adding things, it will start to compliment future mods (i.e. cams). But ensure you have a bigger throttlebody to match the manifold, otherwise you're not getting enough air in the manifold for it to work right.
But as far as the ECU is concerned, its tuned for higher compression with bigger cams. I don't believe it will hurt anything, but I don't think it wont help much. So ITR cams would be a good idea to match the manifold, ecu and header you already have. But the next issue is compression. Those cams were designed for higher compression, so you'd want a bit more compression to take full advantage of the cams, manifold and ecu. Basically each part will compliment each other properly. Adding one without the other will not hurt, but you're just not using them to their full potential.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Is there any advantage to using an ITR OBD2a ECU on a B18C1 Engine/ GS-R Camshaf

If you don't want to run a jumper harness and p28 with a chip or better yet full tune I would just stick to the factory ecu and IM