Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Suggestions requested: H22 custom rebuild plans

Old 04-01-2018, 04:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions requested: H22 custom rebuild plans

So basically I over-revved on the highway recently and did something major to my motor. There’s a ton of pressure in the VC and it taps pretty loud once it’s warmed up. I’m pretty sure it’s block related. So if I’m going to rebuild this motor I wanna build it for power but still be reliable, so I’m looking to stay N/A. I’m looking for advice on what my best options would be. I don’t have a specific hp number but the motor originally did 225/whp after an Evans Tuning tune. So I’m interested in buying or building a custom block to match the head I already have. I’m not looking to spend over $4,000 or so. Here’s my current set up that I’ve been running for 7+ years.

Car
-97 Honda Accord LX
-OBD2-OBD1 Conversion Harness

ECU
-Hondata S300 P28 ECU

Motor
-94 JDM H22a motor
-Stock Block
-Evans Tuning Stage 2 Head w/ 5 Angle Valve Job
-Skunk2 Pro Series Valve Springs
-Skunk2 Titanium Retainers
-Skunk2 Pro Series Valves (Standard size)
-Skunk2 Pro Series Stage 1 Camshafts
-Skunk2 Tuner Series Adjustable Cam Gears
-H23 Manual Tensioner Conversion
-Euro-r Crank Pulley

Exhaust
-Authentic Hytech Tri-Y Header
-2.5” Kteller Exhaust Piping & gutted Tenzo-R catalytic converter
-Hytech twin loop muffler

Air
-Euro-R Intake Manifold with Maxbore to 65mm
-04 S2000 Throttle Body with Maxbore 65mm to 70mm taper (No idle screw)
-3.5" Intake Tubing (The length of a cold air intake)
-3.5" BPI Flowstack
-3.5" K&N Air Filter (Large Cone Style)
-Hondata Intake Manifold Gasket

Ignition
-Optima yellowtop Battery
-NGK OEM Blue Spark Plug Wires
-NGK Iridium Spark Plugs, Part# ZFR6FIX-11

Fuel
-450cc DSM Blue Top Injectors
-Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
-AEM Fuel Rail
-AEM Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator

Transmission
-LSD H22 Transmission
-Exedy stage 1 Clutch
-Competition Clutch Lightweight Flywheel
Old 04-02-2018, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default re: Suggestions requested: H22 custom rebuild plans

what are you asking specifically?

edit: i re-read your post, got it now

i would examine both the head and block, over revving usually does more damage to the valves than anything else. as far as block options, there arent many piston choices with frm sleeves, so personally i would use an iron sleeve h23 as a starting point. plus youll have a 95 mm crank which certainly wont hurt. ill assume your wanting to stick with pump gas so i would choose pistons that will get you to 12-12.5 cr. The compression bump alone should be good for 10-15 hp. having the 95mm crank with likely be good for 5-10 lbs of torque. maybe go with pro 2 cams this time around. the combination should be pretty rowdy on the street and i cant imagine making less than 240-250 whp.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I still have to do the compression test but haven’t had time yet so I might be getting a little ahead of myself but could someone possibly recommend a few reputable shops that I could send my block to? I looked online and found a few but they don’t list much info. I’m from PA and close to Evans Tuning but I’m not sure if they build motors anymore. I can’t find much on their site but it might be bc I’m on mobile.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by k20z1ej1
what are you asking specifically?

edit: i re-read your post, got it now

i would examine both the head and block, over revving usually does more damage to the valves than anything else. as far as block options, there arent many piston choices with frm sleeves, so personally i would use an iron sleeve h23 as a starting point. plus youll have a 95 mm crank which certainly wont hurt. ill assume your wanting to stick with pump gas so i would choose pistons that will get you to 12-12.5 cr. The compression bump alone should be good for 10-15 hp. having the 95mm crank with likely be good for 5-10 lbs of torque. maybe go with pro 2 cams this time around. the combination should be pretty rowdy on the street and i cant imagine making less than 240-250 whp.

Thanks for the reply. Yes this is my DD and I need it to be reliable and also run off pump gas. I’ve done swaps before and I usually do all my own work but when I get into upgrading internals it’s all fairly new to me. I’ve just started my research and like many things, there are tons of options and everyone has a different opinion on what’s best. So I’m just looking to take a little bit from everyone and go from there.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedfiend97LX
I still have to do the compression test but haven’t had time yet so I might be getting a little ahead of myself but could someone possibly recommend a few reputable shops that I could send my block to? I looked online and found a few but they don’t list much info. I’m from PA and close to Evans Tuning but I’m not sure if they build motors anymore. I can’t find much on their site but it might be bc I’m on mobile.
jeff is still in business but is moving in a slightly different direction. he has started a tuning school and is focusing on that and less on engine building and drag racing. he still tunes cars, although less frequently than he used to.

Thanks for the reply. Yes this is my DD and I need it to be reliable and also run off pump gas. I’ve done swaps before and I usually do all my own work but when I get into upgrading internals it’s all fairly new to me. I’ve just started my research and like many things, there are tons of options and everyone has a different opinion on what’s best. So I’m just looking to take a little bit from everyone and go from there.
if it was my engine and/or money, id send it to 4 piston racing in indiana.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Howard Anderson at AR Fabrication. He's around your neck of the woods too.

BTW, there is no such thing as building for power and being reliable. Even the best built engines have failures.