Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Need ECU/Tuning advice... bumping up my redline?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need ECU/Tuning advice... bumping up my redline?

Recently, I had some Toda A Camshafts, Skunk2 Cam Gears, and an ITR Valvetrain put in my GS-R. I know the car needs some tuning before I can experiene any real gains. My *** dyno (which has zero credibility mind you) tells me that some weird power band is going on. Anyway, I'm not sure what to do from here. I assume that these cams should make power up to the ITR redline and maybe even higher, but they need the right components for that to happen. I was thinking about trying to find a cheap OBDII ITR ECU to bump up my rev limit and tune with a VAFC since I could get one from a friend for a good price. I haven't heard much about chipped ECU's, but would they be a better option? I'm looking for the most cost effective way to tune, and I also need to be able to pass emissions when the time comes. Is there a better way to achieve what I'm trying to do than what I've suggested? I've read about custom chipped ECUs based on individual mods (unique to each car), but I don't know too much about that...

PS: if I hook up a VAFC to another ECU and run that, is it possible to swap the whole system out for my stock GS-R ecu (like for emissions), and retain all the settings so I can just swap it back in after taking the test?
Old 01-27-2004, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Need ECU/Tuning advice... bumping up my redline? (alfaaay)

I usually make the custom programs for people based on their mods. You would have to supply header and intake manifold beign used, injectors and fuel regulator and I see Toda A spec cams and ITR valvetrain. From that I'd produce a chip for oyur OBD1 ecu, etc. The vafc modifies fuel and if leaned too much takes away ign timing. I cater for that in the program as well in case you do decide to use a vafc along wiht my program.

greg