Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Running rich or burning oil?

Old 04-23-2017, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running rich or burning oil?

lsvtec ready to get tuned but car lets out blue smoke but ONLY in high rpms and when downshifting, NOT at idle. it doesnt burn more oil than your average honda engine but one thing is the car definately runs a little rich. I was told that when a car runs rich its likely it would burn more oil than normal. Any thoughts on this?
Old 04-23-2017, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Running rich or burning oil?

To test rings, get high up in RPM, in like second or third, and then brake down to like fifteen miles an hour. If your rings are worn it'll suck oil up, past your rings, into your combustion chamber. When you gas it again all the oil will burn in a nasty plume. When I first got my civic I could "roll coal" doing this. Other than that I would suspect stem seals. I've never heard of cars running rich burning oil. I mean does more fuel somehow make oil appear in your cylinder? I don't really see any logic in that claim.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:08 AM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's running super rich, the excess gasoline can wash the cylinders, making for a less effective seal and allowing oil to get past, or if like in my case before I fixed it, you're running so rich the excess gas gets into the crankcase and turns your oil watery.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know that fuel can mix with your oil with dead cylinders, but I've never heard of an engine running THAT rich. I could be wrong though.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:43 AM
I like the tuna here

Originally Posted by ratchetEDsedan
I know that fuel can mix with your oil with dead cylinders, but I've never heard of an engine running THAT rich. I could be wrong though.
Mine had an issue with the ECU, in that it ran everything great but fuel mixture was off the charts rich. I didn't even know until I purchased and installed a wideband, then saw that my chipped and dynotuned ecu was worthless because I was at 10:1 AFR constantly. (the lowest the wideband goes.) I can definitely say that my oil was affected by it, when I drained it out it had a viscosity closer to water than to 10w30.

EDIT: when I say I was at 10:1 AFR, that is misleading. It was actually a mystery AFR that was much lower than that, as 10:1 was the lowest the wideband read, and it was always at 10:1 unless I was coasting in gear.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DumpdEJ6
Mine had an issue with the ECU, in that it ran everything great but fuel mixture was off the charts rich. I didn't even know until I purchased and installed a wideband, then saw that my chipped and dynotuned ecu was worthless because I was at 10:1 AFR constantly. (the lowest the wideband goes.) I can definitely say that my oil was affected by it, when I drained it out it had a viscosity closer to water than to 10w30.

EDIT: when I say I was at 10:1 AFR, that is misleading. It was actually a mystery AFR that was much lower than that, as 10:1 was the lowest the wideband read, and it was always at 10:1 unless I was coasting in gear.
im still waiting for my wideband to get here but my car does definately run rich whenever im high in the rpms and i downshift you can definately smell unburnt fuel. Im currently running a hondata s300 v3 with a gsr basemap the car idles smooth it runs mint it just lets out smoke thats it. Your issue sounds alot like mine because last oil change the oil was very watery it was between water and oil in terms feel but if you smelled it you were able to get a hint of fuel. What did you do to fix it just get a tune? My friend has a lsv stroker mine isnt making power like his is but he was told by someone that its never a bad idea to run a catch can setup with lsv and b20v.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:37 PM
I like the tuna here

If you're running anything other than basic bolt ons, you need to get it tuned by someone who knows what they are doing. My issue ended up being the ECU. Once I transferred the chip my tune was on to another socketed ECU, it ran perfectly with perfect AFRs.

EDIT: A basemap is NOT good enough. Your issue may in fact be resolved just by getting it dyno or street tuned by a professional.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're running anything other than basic bolt ons, you need to get it tuned by someone who knows what they are doing. My issue ended up being the ECU. Once I transferred the chip my tune was on to another socketed ECU, it ran perfectly with perfect AFRs.

EDIT: A basemap is NOT good enough. Your issue may in fact be resolved just by getting it dyno or street tuned by a professional.
Yea mine has a itr head on it there isnt one thing on that head that hasnt been modified. Thats why im wondering if i should run a catch can or not idk if it wouldnt help my situation or not. As far as a tune im just waiting for my appointment, gonna be using s300. For a stock block lsvtec it HAULS A**. Gsr cant even keep up. H2b is neck and neck with this motor. Idk this motor is just real healthy and strong. Cant wait to see what the tune is gonna do to it
Old 04-25-2017, 04:02 AM
I like the tuna here

Here's a thought: if you know your tune isn't right, maybe don't go around redlining it racing everyone. SMH
Old 04-25-2017, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's a thought: if you know your tune isn't right, maybe don't go around redlining it racing everyone. SMH
the afr was getting fiddled with when that happened during some street tests. also this isnt a built block its a stock block essentially taken out of a totaled integra, has rod bolts and arp headstuds thats it. I know it shouldnt be beaten on which i dont personally its usually in my garage collecting dust but we decided to start to get going on this car so to get the afr close to okay it had to be run. Plus it wasnt redlined which is why i say its crazy because this car was pulling on a gsr full bolt ons shifting 1000rpms before redline. Like i said car runs mint for the basemap its on. Car should be getting tuned next week on monday by a reputable tuner here in ny.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The car is also at the shop swapping out the aem fuel rail for a stock one, apparently a aem fuel rail isnt needed if im not making serious amounts of power.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It could be caused by bad piston rings or bad cylinder walls.