Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

RM and Pro series questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 01:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RM and Pro series questions

i got a few questions concerning the actual size of the skunk2 Pro 2's / Pro 3's and the rocket motorsports M22xx / m24xx actual measurement ( primaries / secondaries / vtec ) I've found the advertised specs but ive also read that its not always accurate.

i'm just curious because it seems the pro 2/3 or the most popular in the skunk2 line and the m22xx and m24xx for the RM line.

i want to know the specs to help understand the difference between these 4 cams - How big they actually are ... which one might make more power midrange , and which one for top end .... how the idle would be .... how much an engine would need to flow for that cam ..... how big of a motor it needs to be efficent ..... and etc etc etc !!

p.s. is it accurate to say the m22xx is in the same group of a pro 2 ( mild 2.0L , aggressive 1.8L ) while the m24xx can match a pro 3 ?

ive seen a pro 2 vs pro 3 dyno .. any dynos between the RM line vs the Pro series line of cams ?
Old 01-02-2011, 01:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RM and Pro series questions

what do you mean by over all size of the cam. Are you looking for duration on the following four cams.

Yes the pro'3 and the Mx24's are in the same group if you where to compare them.

The best way to understand each cam would be to look on either company's website and look at the spec sheet for each cam.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:43 AM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out my build thread: https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-motor-naturally-aspirated-44/my-b18c5-dyno-graph-m22x-simple-basemap-2132208/

The last couple pages should interest you the most.

The m22x and xx cams were more competitive to the pro 1 cams but are capable of competing with the pro 2 cams on some 1.8L builds. M24xx would be competitive with pro 2's on 2L+ and M25's to pro 3's on some builds. Ultimately the cams should be somewhat close in how they perform, so the only way to know which is "best" for your build is to test and tune them both.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow ! very good thread 00Red_SiR ! ... it helped me alot. I guess my main purpose of this thread was to get very detailed info about all 4 cams because they seem to be the most used in these 2 great companies. And it seemed that not every cam card on the website is accurate.

knowing the specs of all three lope for these 4 cams will probably help me and others compare :
- how hard it will be to tune idle
- how great the lowend/midrange is vs one another
- how great fuel economy will be
- how big of an engine, portwork, compression, bolt ons will be needed for each cam to reach its potential for top end peak power and overall performance

ive seen a m22x vs pro 1 ... pro 1 vs pro 2 ... and pro 2 vs pro 3 dyno sheet

im curious of what a m22x vs m22xx would look like ?

m24xx vs pro 2 / pro 3 ... only have seen one user in here use m25 lol
Old 01-03-2011, 04:48 AM
All Motor Mentor

The X versions of the RM cams are super easy to tune but you don't have the same low end gains that you would with the XX series. That's not an issue if ease of tuning is what you want and you're going to use your car for street/strip drag racing. If your motor is a B20, the extra displacement makes up for a smaller primary if you're going to autocross the car.

In my case, I believe the M22xx cams would have equalled or beat the pro 2's down low on my car and have a slightly lower peak but better overall power curve in VTEC than the skunk 2 pros I run now. On a 2L the pro 2's may make better power compared to the M22xx's, or if I had more compression and/or stroke on my 1.8L. Fuel economy is very close on my car between the two sets of cams, maybe only 1-2mpg worse with the pro's. Head work is going to make a big difference will all these cams and the larger the displacement, the more gains from it.

The M22x and M22xx have the exact same VTEC lobes so they peform the same power wise to each other in that range, the only difference is that the XX's have larger primary lobes which will give you more power below VTEC like toda or pro series cams.

Try PM'ing Aquafina on here and see if he can get you the comparrisons of the larger cams.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

M25x would be a great profile to compare the Pro3 to. In most cases, the Pro series is going to give you a stronger midrange(1,2 or 3), and the RM cam is gonna breath a little better on top. 00Red had kind of a unique situation with his motor. Not saying the M22x could never "beat" the Pro2, but if he were to ask me before he tested...I would've said the Pro2 is gonna edge out the M22. Just proves that every motor is different.

As far as "specs" go, RM is no longer making cams but all I have are the advretised #'s which aren't gonna really help you. How I marketed the different profiles:

M22x = heavily modified B16/stockish to aggresive 1.8's.
M24x = heavily modified 1.8's on race fuel/2.0 liter with a good head, intake, IM and header.
M25x = Full race ported 2.0+ liter/over 12+ total cr/high rpm capability
Secret cams = inquire within

I sold 22's the most(obviously) and currently run them in my motor. Rocket's "xx" version of the cams, in theory, were made to produce more midrange(kind of like a Toda profile), but really couldn't compare with the Pro series due to there ramp angles. Rocket liked drag racing....his cams showed it.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A good cutomer of mine. I "helped" him build his setup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3zB1...191B7&index=24
Old 01-03-2011, 12:37 PM
All Motor Mentor

Originally Posted by clean rice
00Red had kind of a unique situation with his motor. Not saying the M22x could never "beat" the Pro2, but if he were to ask me before he tested...I would've said the Pro2 is gonna edge out the M22. Just proves that every motor is different.
In my case the Intake manifold I'm running, the performer X was a limiting factor to the top end for both cams. I still feel the power curve was "better" in VTEC with the M22x cams than with the pro 2's, even though the pro's technically beat them on my motor. If I stay all motor, I will be swapping out my pro 2's for some M22xx cams.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

clean Rice, what do you feel is a heavily modified B16?
Old 01-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

PCT's, an actual ported head(NOT your garage hacker with a dremel tool) by Portflow/CCC/RLZ/DFE etc., a good IM and Toda header tuned.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good info clean rice .. so this is kind of pointless then if RM cams cannot even be purchased anymore though correct ?

00Red_SiR .. that says alot about the m22 if u feel that the power in vtec ( topend/vtec lobe) is better than the pro 2's ... any insights on how the m24's top end in the vtec would perform vs pro 2 / pro 3's ?!
Old 01-04-2011, 02:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by clean rice
PCT's, an actual ported head(NOT your garage hacker with a dremel tool) by Portflow/CCC/RLZ/DFE etc., a good IM and Toda header tuned.
Thank you, I am going with ctr piston, strip port head with my motor. Its a basic idea. But with that kinda of setp-up would you say a sk2 pro2's are two much. If so what cam's would some one want to look at in a mild build.....

I am asking this cause RM doesn't make a cam...so for a mild build whats a good cam to look into.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by allmotorpackage
good info clean rice .. so this is kind of pointless then if RM cams cannot even be purchased anymore though correct ?

00Red_SiR .. that says alot about the m22 if u feel that the power in vtec ( topend/vtec lobe) is better than the pro 2's ... any insights on how the m24's top end in the vtec would perform vs pro 2 / pro 3's ?!
The original dealers(myself included) have the option to still sell the profiles.. however they can't be called "rocket motorsports".

I have taken it upon myself to actually do some R/D upon rockets cams and my own to create something new, with the help of Donf i should be coming out soon with something that going to be pretty awesome, clean rice knows the majority of it.. but non the less

the m24xx's or m25x's are in the same league as the pro series cams..
Old 01-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by racer034life
Thank you, I am going with ctr piston, strip port head with my motor. Its a basic idea. But with that kinda of setp-up would you say a sk2 pro2's are two much. If so what cam's would some one want to look at in a mild build.....

I am asking this cause RM doesn't make a cam...so for a mild build whats a good cam to look into.
King sells a B16b longblock that uses Pro2's with "13:1" cr. I personally don't feel this is a realistic motor to drive daily. And even if you wanted to, it would make more sense, and cost less money, to build a 1.8. With ported 1.6's, I still think the Jun3 lobe is the best for them. So Jun3/S2S2/BC4/Wicked stage 2/Blue Print stage 2/Blox B and C would all work well with PCT's and a good head. M22's could "beat" any of those on the top end though.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ALL M0T0R
the m24xx's or m25x's are in the same league as the pro series cams..
my 2 cents
Pro1 ~ custom xx cam with VTEC lobe between m21 and 22
Pro2 ~ m22xx
Pro3 ~ m24xx
m25 (x or xx) is a monster
Old 01-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by koczeka
my 2 cents
Pro1 ~ custom xx cam with VTEC lobe between m21 and 22