Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Recommendations: intake, header, exhaust for NA d16z6 making 156whp

Old 11-12-2016, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations: intake, header, exhaust for NA d16z6 making 156whp

Hey everyone.

I completed a project NA d16z6 build this past summer. I'm very happy with the results. 156whp, 115wtrq on a Mustang Dyno.

You can see the details in this link: https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-mo...-dyno-3282238/

We could have squeezed a little more out but I ran out of time before we could fine tune at the camshaft gear.

I'm looking for ways to make a little more power. To quickly summarize, it's a d16z6, 75.5mm P29 pistons, P&P head, Rocket Motorsports stage-4 camshaft, Rocket Motorsports valve springs and Ti retainers, d16y8 intake manifold ported to 60mm with runners cleaned and outlets port matched to head intake. Throttle body is a d16z6 56mm. Intake is a generic short ram with K&N-like air filter. Header is a 4-2-1 Megan Racing attached to a Magnaflow high-flow catalytic concerter. Exhaust is 2.25" Tanabe Medalion.

The motor was making power up to 7500rpm. I'm looking to improve fuel, air in, air out.

I have a 60mm b-series TB. I'm looking at RDX 440cc injectors to go with the 255lph Walbro.

What intake do you suggest? Why?

What header do you suggest? Why?

What exhaust do you suggest? Why?

Thanks!

Last edited by Curlybandit; 11-13-2016 at 02:27 AM.
Old 11-13-2016, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Re: Recommendations: intake, header, exhaust for NA d16z6 making 156whp

Originally Posted by Curlybandit
Hey everyone.

I completed a project NA d16z6 build this past summer. I'm very happy with the results. 156whp, 115wtrq on a Mustang Dyno.

You can see the details in this link: https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-mo...-dyno-3282238/

We could have squeezed a little more out but I ran out of time before we could fine tune at the camshaft gear.

I'm looking for ways to make a little more power. To quickly summarize, it's a d16z6, 75.5mm P29 pistons, P&P head, Rocket Motorsports stage-4 camshaft, Rocket Motorsports valve springs and Ti retainers, d16y8 intake manifold ported to 60mm with runners cleaned and outlets port matched to head intake. Throttle body is a d16z6 56mm. Intake is a generic short ram with K&N-like air filter. Header is a 4-2-1 Megan Racing attached to a Magnaflow high-flow catalytic concerter. Exhaust is 2.25" Tanabe Medalion.

The motor was making power up to 7500rpm. I'm looking to improve fuel, air in, air out.

I have a 60mm b-series TB. I'm looking at RDX 440cc injectors to go with the 255lph Walbro.

What intake do you suggest? Why?

What header do you suggest? Why?

What exhaust do you suggest? Why?

Thanks!
My opinion go with a Skunk2 Pro series intake manifold, 64 -70mm TB and a 3" cold air intake might have to go custom which isnt hard or find one. Get a Skunk2 Alpha header and go 2.5 all the way out maybe even get a 2.5" ex made or aftermarket like a Skunk2 catback. those RDX injectors and fuel pump your getting should be fine. Proven parts that should free up some power for sure.
Old 11-13-2016, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
My opinion go with a Skunk2 Pro series intake manifold, 64 -70mm TB and a 3" cold air intake might have to go custom which isnt hard or find one. Get a Skunk2 Alpha header and go 2.5 all the way out maybe even get a 2.5" ex made or aftermarket like a Skunk2 catback. those RDX injectors and fuel pump your getting should be fine. Proven parts that should free up some power for sure.
Great!

Thanks for the recommendations.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:24 AM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll second wunfastgsr's post, while adding in a velocity stack on the end of the intake piping. Easy, cheap, and a dyno-proven 2-6hp increase over traditional intake piping filters. What I do is have a hollowed out headlight and an extra 3' of 3" tubing with a 45 degree bend in it. I usually run the Blox velocity stack with the Blox filter on a short ram intake, once I get to the track I switch headlights to the hollowed out one and have the bare velocity stack come out through the headlight.
Attached Images   
Old 11-14-2016, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DumpdEJ6
I'll second wunfastgsr's post, while adding in a velocity stack on the end of the intake piping. Easy, cheap, and a dyno-proven 2-6hp increase over traditional intake piping filters. What I do is have a hollowed out headlight and an extra 3' of 3" tubing with a 45 degree bend in it. I usually run the Blox velocity stack with the Blox filter on a short ram intake, once I get to the track I switch headlights to the hollowed out one and have the bare velocity stack come out through the headlight.
Great advice.

A velocity stack is on my shopping list. I'm picking up a Skunk2 Pro IM and 68mm TB today. Found a great deal on a used set.

I'll be looking for the header next. I'm leaning toward a 4-1 header with larger primary and secondary tubes. The little SOHC D16 makes its power higher up in the RPM range when the aggressive VTEC profile kicks in. My understanding is that the 4-1 header is better for more top end power whereas the 4-2-1 is better for mid-range.

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2016, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

68mm throttle body and Skunk2 Pro Series intake manifold acquired!

The list is getting shorter.