Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Radiotech's Mild changes to stock B20Vtec- Project build Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiotech's Mild changes to stock B20Vtec- Project build Questions

Currently have a stock B20b with a Gsr head, obd1 conversion harness running on a stock p72. Bolted to a gsr trans in a eg hatch if it matters.

I'm looking to do some mild stuff to add a little pep, or just "get the most" out of this setup. Only things done to it are an AEM cai, and a longtube header. Mechanically or electronically the setup is oem stuff.

I'd like to spend $1000-$1500. Where is that money best spent? I would like to do ARP rodbolts and head studs for a little piece of mind, but from there I'm lost. Intake manifold, dyno tune, port and polish, increasing compression? What's the best use of my budget
Old 06-11-2018, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts
Default re: Radiotech's Mild changes to stock B20Vtec- Project build Questions

Engine management is your first step... making the parts that you already have work WELL together will make more power than a new I/M or a port and polish. Normally, I suggest a Hondata s300, but check with your tuner to see what system he is most comfortable with. The higher compression you go, the more camshaft you need to make the most of the squeeze. Head bolts will be a waste if you intend to leave it N/A. The rod bolts... meh. I know this is a hotly debated topic on this board, but I am of the belief that adding these bolts only increases the rod strength at high rpm marginally. I say marginally because the torque spec on the stock bolt is 23 ft/lbs and the OE rod ARP bolt is only 28 ft/lbs. Since you have to machine the rods to properly install the ARP bolt upgrade... for a few more bucks, you get a set of connecting rods WITH good bolts. Torque spec on aftermarket rods with 5/16" ARP 2000 bolts is at least 45 ft/lbs. This is a significant torque increase and thus, a much higher shear strength point.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: Radiotech's Mild changes to stock B20Vtec- Project build Questions

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
Engine management is your first step... making the parts that you already have work WELL together will make more power than a new I/M or a port and polish. Normally, I suggest a Hondata s300, but check with your tuner to see what system he is most comfortable with. The higher compression you go, the more camshaft you need to make the most of the squeeze. Head bolts will be a waste if you intend to leave it N/A. The rod bolts... meh. I know this is a hotly debated topic on this board, but I am of the belief that adding these bolts only increases the rod strength at high rpm marginally. I say marginally because the torque spec on the stock bolt is 23 ft/lbs and the OE rod ARP bolt is only 28 ft/lbs. Since you have to machine the rods to properly install the ARP bolt upgrade... for a few more bucks, you get a set of connecting rods WITH good bolts. Torque spec on aftermarket rods with 5/16" ARP 2000 bolts is at least 45 ft/lbs. This is a significant torque increase and thus, a much higher shear strength point.
fair enough, I may just leave well enough alone then as far as opening up the block for hardware or compression changes. I like the idea of an s300 since I could use it for any changes I have in the future just with a retune.

Are there any other things worth doing before a tune? Bigger cams may be too involved but what about an intake manifold? Or any fueling upgrades necessary? I doubt I'm flowing enough air like this to require an injector upgrade for the tune