Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Project Kaoru - A Michigander's H23AV

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Project Kaoru - A Michigander's H23AV

The RDX injectors will fit into the Skunk2 manifold. There isn't anything to firmly shoulder off of in the manifold itself, but the wide rubber rings that come in the o-ring kit we have on the shelf at oreilly's will provide a sufficient base.

I oiled and test fit one of the new Nippon Type S pistons. I was worried at the slop I felt between the piston and bore, in terms of rocking the piston in line with the crank. But removing the rings off one of the old pistons showed that the old pistons fit a slight bit looser. And I can definitely feel less slop in the radial axis. I also notice that the skirt is present under the wrist pin, where it isn't on the original piston, so hopefully that provides a bit of stability.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well...Almost three years. Dang. Back to work.

One thing I'm looking at here is the step created by the thickness of the Hondata gasket. I am finishing-up the work of a kind scholarly gentleman who gave me a great deal on a ported head and Skunk2 intake manifold. I cannot remember your name(Very sure it was 1991_crxsi) but even now you are fondly remembered, thank you again. There is going to be a noticeable effective step-up from the manifold to the intake port and I'm wondering how critical it will be to actually match that upper surface. The bottom of the ports is pretty well matched at this point, its just the upper ridge, but I feel like it will create an artificial "swell" on the manifold side of the junction if I try to smoothly blend the upper surface.

However, this project still might not go anywhere. I tried to fix the rust on the Accord, but it came back worse than before. Since, I've been hunting for a 5G Prelude I didn't have to go more than 3 hours to go get. Suffice to say Facebook is the only meaningful market anymore and I now hate all Honda enthusiasts on that site as a result of my search. I want to finish this head just so I haven't wasted four figures worth of money in parts, but there are a couple 2G Eclipse GST's in the area tempting me.

At this point the plan is a pair of Skunk2 Tuner2 cams, cam gears, and find the biggest TB that will fit this gaping, dam-spillway of an intake manifold.

And find something to put it on.

Last edited by Tachi; 11-03-2019 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm officially ending this thread mainly because, its no longer a H23 build.

I recently purchased a 5G Prelude and it needed a timing belt bad, which was changed the night before a drag event I was participating in. Partly due to time I left the balance shaft belt off before buttoning it back together. I don't like it. Granted this Prelude has 190k+ on it but at idle and certain RPMs I was getting interior buzzes that really annoyed me. And this is first and foremost a street car, my DD. And this was on a H22, no balance shafts on an engine with more stroke? Nah. And the H23 block has already been permanently deleted of its balance shafts.

So the Euro-R engine that came out of the Accord will be getting the ported head, after matching the Euro-R manifold to it. The Euro-R cams are going in as well and...that's about it. I suppose the RDX injectors as well since I have them and they were cheap. I appreciate all the assistance I was given when this was still active.